Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times

Advertisements

I've lived out here 12 years and can't remember a Winter like this. I would have never thought about breaking out my motorcycle in February in the past and have had it out a couple of times a week this month. People were actually out "tanning" yesterday at the park we went to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Betcha. I "think" this is third year running we'll have had essentially no snow in the lowlands. Knock on wood, but I'd like to guess we're through it for yet another season.

Of course, the pass's (Snoqualimie) lack of snow is demented and sad; I was there last weekend doing a bit of alpine hiking for heaven's sake in regular old Vasque hiking boots. A bit muddy, yes. Snowy, hardly. I only went a couple miles, but it was weird.

And yes, I was out on the Slough trail in Redmond yesterday, with everyone and their brother hank. Soaking up that sun for 90 minutes and loving it every...single...second.

And finally, yes: as posted to the Ducati forum, I too was out doing some riding. There is spooky stuff in the cold corners...gravel and worse...but keeping it mostly on main roads, it's been a fabulous couple days.

Michigan can freeze in hell, 9th Bolgia per Dante (the Inferno) as far as I'm concerned. Colorado and East Coast are currently up to their (ahem!) in snow at the moment, too, to which I say: "better there than here!"

Old 02-22-2015, 09:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
I also ride a Ducati lol

Old 02-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
The snowpack is where we get our water from. Needless to say, not every winter should be like this.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Last winter was extremely mild. By March of last year, we were getting spring weather and we overseeded our lawn in late March and had flowers in by early April. That said, a lot of people were complaining about the higher temps in June-August.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 AM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
I like these temps....in the Spring.

This abnormally warm winter has me more worried. Like amaiunmei points out, we need our snow, it helps with our energy production, we drink it, farmers need it, salmon need that cold water and no snow means no jobs for those who work in the skiing/snowboarding area. Personally I am a fan of revenue making activities.

Last winter we got a couple of late season snow storms, so I am hoping for a repeat.

On top of all that, it's February and it looks like I will have to mow the #$%@ lawn!

I don't have a motorcycle anymore, but to those that do, enjoy the weather and safe riding.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I don't know where you saw snow last year but I live in Woodinville and we saw no snow whatsoever last year. Totally agree on the snow pack, it would be great to get several feet of snow...in the mountains.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
The last few winters have been very nice with (it seems) much more than normal sun and few of the usual weeks long stretches without seeing the sun. I wish we had much more lower snow, the winter we had record snowfalls like December 2008 was great - best one in decades, but seeing the sun more is nice.

The skiers don't think it's the best winter, and when we have a drought this summer because the reservoirs didn't fill from snow melt everyone else might reconsider the 'best winter' too.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
I thought the first half of the winter was constantly cold and it came rather early this year but I agree the second half of this winter is really nice and somewhat Spring like, I was disappointed that we didn't get to see a lot of snow this winter despite how cold it was early in the winter.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:46 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
The snowpack is where we get our water from. Needless to say, not every winter should be like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
I like these temps....in the Spring.

This abnormally warm winter has me more worried. Like amaiunmei points out, we need our snow, it helps with our energy production, we drink it, farmers need it, salmon need that cold water and no snow means no jobs for those who work in the skiing/snowboarding area. Personally I am a fan of revenue making activities.

Last winter we got a couple of late season snow storms, so I am hoping for a repeat.

On top of all that, it's February and it looks like I will have to mow the #$%@ lawn!

I don't have a motorcycle anymore, but to those that do, enjoy the weather and safe riding.
Totally agree. The lack of mountain snow could potentially lead to drought-like conditions, and will probably get the PUD's complaining about lack of run-off to power the dam turbines, and how therefore they need a rate hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington