Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 AM

225 posts, read 382,969 times

Advertisements

For the first year, we are thinking of one of these areas. Any benefits to one over the other?

Areas with character (some historic charm)

Walkable

Employment opportunities for my young adults

Easy access to Seattle proper

No Drug areas

Any areas to avoid in these cities? They each have a downtown don't they? Your perspective will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Neither has 'easy access to Seattle proper' - think one hour on a good day.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:07 AM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Of the three, Edmonds fits your criteria the best. It's also the best from a transit standpoint as its closest to Seattle and the Sounder commuter rail line runs from there to downtown Seattle at rush hour on weekdays. It's about a 35 minute ride. The Sounder runs from Tacoma to Seattle as well, but it takes a full hour because it's a greater distance.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Edmonds seems real nice to me... Tacoma is kind of gritty and grimey, unless you live in the North part of Tacoma near the Sound. Tacoma and Everett have their share of drug problems and crime.

Have you considered anything on the Eastside, like Kirkland? If you would consider Edmonds then Kirkland should be on your radar screen too.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Tacoma. Stadium, North End, and Downtown areas very walkable. Housing is affordable. For relatively easy access to Seattle, drive, bus, or take light rail to the Tacoma Dome Station and take Sounder commuter rail. Washington's second largest city, so has a sizable job market.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
I live in Capitol Hill in Seattle, but I recently visited Downtown Tacoma and I have to say I really like Tacoma. It has good urban roots and some pretty cool bars/restaurants. I think Downtown has some enormous potential, so I would suggest anyone investing in Tacoma's future.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I live in Capitol Hill in Seattle, but I recently visited Downtown Tacoma and I have to say I really like Tacoma. It has good urban roots and some pretty cool bars/restaurants. I think Downtown has some enormous potential, so I would suggest anyone investing in Tacoma's future.
Tacoma does have a nice looking downtown. However, be careful about Tacoma, it is a lot grittier than your eyes will perceive at first glance. Also, the strip of bars on 6th Avenue can get pretty rowdy and not always attract the most respectable types of people. I found that I liked Seattle's bars more, even if some were more uppity. A lot of the bars in Tacoma just have a more sketchy and dodgy energy to them.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 8,557 times
Try Shoreline. Practically a Seattle suburb, and right down 5 from Edmonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington