Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,369 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am relocating from New England to the Seattle area with a young child (5) and want to find a good spot within 'reasonable' commuting distance to the Navy bases in the area. It looks like I will be spending an hour each way in the car no matter where I live but I would like to settle in the Edmonds/Everett area as they are close to Whidbey and not too far from the installations on Kitsap.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I've been researching schools recently, so I don't have first hand experience (my kids are still babies), but from my research, I think all the schools in Mukilteo are rated favorably, there are several in Everett that are good, but some sketchy ones, too, and Edmonds is pretty good across the board. I've been basing my research off of Great Schools, School Digger, and The Seattle Times School Guide.

V. =)

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
I've heard from parents that Mukilteo schools are good.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 45,128 times
Trust me don,t put them Everett or Edmonds Edmonds had lots of cut backs and Everett a friend of my had a son before he die need it exter help Everett School sent to Mukilteo Schools I have a son who go to Olivia Park Mukilteo Dist. and school been a big help in life. he took 1st place in the school Spelling Bee 2nd grade. Good Luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Don't kid yourself, ALL DISTRICTS have had huge cuts.

Mukilteo is an excellent district, as is Edmonds. That said, there are still haves and have nots within each district. I'd shy away from Everett, although there are some good schools there too.

Kamiak HS is the best HS in Mukilteo. So the feeder middle and ES are all pretty good.

Edmonds just built a new Lynnwood HS They spent 125 million dollars on it. It is a freaking college campus for crying out loud. Nicest HS I've yet seen (I worked on it) Not sure where the boundaries are to the west for LHS, but Mill Creek is nearby and it's pretty nice.

Snohomish SD and :ake Stevens are also decent districts and have nice schools too. And both of those have schools in Everett. (All 5 districts mentioned here have schools in Everett)

Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM

271 posts, read 657,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Don't kid yourself, ALL DISTRICTS have had huge cuts.

Mukilteo is an excellent district, as is Edmonds. That said, there are still haves and have nots within each district. I'd shy away from Everett, although there are some good schools there too.

Kamiak HS is the best HS in Mukilteo. So the feeder middle and ES are all pretty good.

Edmonds just built a new Lynnwood HS They spent 125 million dollars on it. It is a freaking college campus for crying out loud. Nicest HS I've yet seen (I worked on it) Not sure where the boundaries are to the west for LHS, but Mill Creek is nearby and it's pretty nice.

Snohomish SD and :ake Stevens are also decent districts and have nice schools too. And both of those have schools in Everett. (All 5 districts mentioned here have schools in Everett)
The Mukilteo Schools have only 2 High Schools. Kamiak and Mariner. Of the two, Kamiak is probably better.

Mill Creek is a nice little community but the High School that serves that is Jackson which is in the Everett School District.

Why are we focusing on the high schools though? The kid is 5.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
The Mukilteo Schools have only 2 High Schools. Kamiak and Mariner. Of the two, Kamiak is probably better.
Actually it's not remotely close. Mariner is beset with far more problems.

Quote:
Mill Creek is a nice little community but the High School that serves that is Jackson which is in the Everett School District.
Yes it is, but the New Lynnwood HS is but a mile or so from it. That was why I mentioned it.

Quote:
Why are we focusing on the high schools though? The kid is 5.
Generally speaking kids tend to get there one way or another. If you read my post you'd see I made comments about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington