Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,764,402 times

Advertisements

Do culinary schools provide in home education?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,903,332 times
IEPs are definitely a bigger deal here. I personally would be wary about living on the peninsula and needing disability accommodations. People I know always seemed to need to leave and be a bit closer to the metro area for those accommodations.

You could check out Tahoma school district (Maple Valley area) because it's pretty disability friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Do culinary schools provide in home education?
Culinary schools, no. My husband attended one and your choice was either 8 hour shifts either in the AM or PM. Of course, he'd be the first to tell you that they're ripoffs and you're better served going to a CC or learning on the job.

It sounds like the OP's daughter would benefit by going to a local community college that offers culinary arts certification. The culinary classes itself are only a couple hours a day (and the rest of the day are spent getting the necessary requisites to transfer/graduate).

Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,392,583 times
South Seattle Community College has a fantastic reputation in culinary arts.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM

60 posts, read 60,318 times
Thank you VERY much Inkpoe & Ira500.
Maple Valley was one place I was looking at. Because of the location.
If anyone else knows of any other areas that have better schools, please do let me know.
It's been disappointing to learn all this, but
also important to know. My thanks.

Last edited by Marka; 09-17-2015 at 02:23 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,903,332 times
I'm sorry I remembered another option just now when I should've included this earlier. Since you mentioned she's got less than 2 years, why not look into a program we have for HS seniors and juniors called Running Start? It allows those students to complete their HS while simultaneously start earning their college credits. It does allow for a lot more flexibility in scheduling. This is what I did back in HS, at first I attended just one class, then ultimately went full time at the CC (which allowed me to finish HS early).

Old 01-19-2015, 04:59 AM

Thank you Inkpoe and Everyone else who's helped me out with thoughts and advice about this.
I was ready to jump out there come end of February. But now (to my daughter's delight), I'll be staying till June so that she may finish her school year here.
Again, if anyone else knows of any counties/areas that're good for schools, Please let me know.
Many thanks for all your help!

Last edited by Marka; 09-17-2015 at 02:23 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 PM

109 posts, read 382,936 times
If it's in your price range, you can try Bainbridge Island. It sounds like low crime and wilderness are high on your list, so BI definitely has those two. Ferry commute to Seattle is 35 min but make sure you add time to the ferry and wherever you go to on the other side. At the high school in BI, you'll have to fight pretty hard for accommodations. Teachers don't recognize them half the time and the district has gotten in trouble for it before. But then my middle child had a really great IEP set-up (elementary school) while my oldest (high school) has the toughest time for hers (albeit hers is much less noticeable).

The crime is very low on BI - talking top 10 in the safest cities list of WA state 2014. And high school is 6th in the state by US News.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Ok then! The Comm. College in Seattle/South seems really great!
I wanted to thank all of those here who gave me their thoughts and input on the different things.
The move will be better for everyone. So while I won't stay here till she's completed school, we are going to wait for this year to be done. Thank you for all the thoughts and information. We shall just make the best of it and make it work for her next school year. It's been very informative, and has changed my mind on several things.

Last edited by Marka; 09-17-2015 at 02:24 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,408,040 times
Quite a few school districts have Public School Alternative Learning Programs (PSALPs) or Parent-Partnered Programs (PPPs) that could allow your daughter to attend school while completing a share of her required courses at home, with the school providing ancillary services, including teacher home visits. See:

Top 10 Questions

http://patricialines.com/files/peabody.pdf

Seattle area alternative schools, virtual schools, and parent partnership programs - National Unschooling | Examiner.com

Over 90 school districts in the state offer these programs. Both the North and Central Kitsap School Districts, for instance, as does the Highline School District.

Seattle-area schools aren't anywhere near as bad as some here are asserting. Larger urban school districts serve students from a broad range of incomes, racial/ethnic backgrounds, immigrant status, disabilities, etc., which can bring down test scores. You need to drill down to get the real picture.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-23-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,485 times
Check out Bainbridge Island and Eagle Harbor High School. It is an alternative high school but by no means is it "alternative" meaning for troubled kids, it is not. It offers contract and online courses as well as brick and mortar classes and the kids there are a great group of kids. You may have to fight for what you want here as well. Just because someone has never heard of providing that service before doesn't mean it can not be done or has to be done or some kind of alternative you both agree to can take place. The good and recent news is: the evil special ed director is "retiring" at the end of this year, although we do not know who will take his place.

Also good news...the sun never shines here! .... Only trying to be funny, but yes, the weather is quite overcast and gray 3/4 of the year. But when the sun does shine it's appreciated~

Bainbridge Island is a 35 minute ferry ride from Seattle although it seems a world away. It is rural, yet sophisticated. Lots of nature and lots of trees... satellite google map it and you'll see for yourself! The rental market is not good, if you can buy you should. The inventory for rentals is low and once summer hits people are scrambling to find homes. No malls, no big box stores, the only chains are a Subway, Starbucks, and McDonalds, Ace Hardware, Safeway, and gas stations. You have to leave the island for Costco and Walmart but it is a 40 minute drive to Silverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington