Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,804 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband is in the Navy and we are being transferred to Whidbey come February. I am very excited--I've been on fishing expeditions in British Columbia (Farewell Harbour) and to Seattle in the summertime and they are fantastic places---but I am little concerned...having grown up in Florida, I love, and am quite accustomed to, constant sunshine and perfect swimming weather. Just how cold are the winters, and does it really drizzle constantly for most of the year? How pet-friendly is it up there on Whidbey? We have three dogs and must find a place to rent! I have heard of Coupeville, Anacortes, Oak Harbour...how far are they from each other, and where would be a good place to live if my husband needed to commute to the Navy base??
Also, I love killer whales and have always wanted to do some sort of work or something with them. Do killer whale pods frequent that area, or do you have to go further out past Whidbey for whale watching expeditions, whale research, etc?
We are very outdoorsy people and I know there are lots of good places to hike and sightsee! What do you recommend? Does the water get warm enough in the summertime to swim in?

Any advice and information woudl be greatly appreciated!! I am really thrilled to be moving up there but would love to know more about it so I am better prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
Here's a link showing the doppler radar of Western Washington. Right now it's sunny and 37 degrees.

http://www.king5.com/weather/doppler

It does rain a lot here, but it's not constant. Even on rainy days there are usually times when the rain quits long enough for you to get out with your dogs. Your dogs will need to be toweled off before coming back into the house so make sure your place has what we call a "mud room". On rainy days I use the doppler link to pick a good time to get out.

If you need info on the towns nearby check out google maps. Search on "oak harbor, wa". You can check out an area and search for businesses to give you a good idea of what an area has to offer.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM

142 posts, read 558,091 times
It got cold last night in Seattle. The pool in my back yard has ice on it, so CBSunny, I think you won't be doing much swimming in the winter here!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,228 times
Not sure there's much swimming in the summer, either. The PNW water is pretty cold.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
Some lakes and rivers are ok to swim in during the Summer. There are a few Puget Sound beaches where people swim but you need a sunny day and have to wait for an incoming tide.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,804 times
Hi Ya'll, thank you for the responses. I have one yellow Lab, Ruger who refuses to go outside when its raining, so he is going to be in for a reality check in Whidbey Island. I think we can handle thirty degrees in the wintertime, that's really not bad at all, considering single digit daily temps are normal for other areas of the other country this time of year). Is there anything else you can share about the area around the Navy base? Any advice as to where to rent, etc? (And yes, I will make sure we have a mud room, good advice on that!)

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
I visited Oak Harbor this past summer. Don't know it in any depth but what I saw of it was kind of quaint and sweet, a little old in the ages of the houses, and lots of tall (old) trees. The residents I encountered were friendly and outgoing.

For apartments, you should find current info in the Whidbey newspaper
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/

Washington is very companion animal-friendly -- cats, dogs, llamas, horses, ostriches, and so on :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington