Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM

61 posts, read 216,013 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of retiring to Whidbey Island. We have visited numerous times at all times of the year. Since we are coming from Wyoming, harsh winters are "relative" to us. Both of us would like to do at least some type of part time work or consulting and don't want to live in a "golden ghetto." Although we know that the median age in Whidbey is higher than the Washington state average, we still would like to see children around, etc. We are both physically active, (running, biking, climbing, etc.) We've always loved Whidbey. Any insight or advice from folks who live there would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
I have never lived there but our family loves loves Whidbey Island. We've entertained living there over the years but have tended to save it for day trips. Coupeville is small and picturesque. When we would look at the real estate section, there seemed to be discussions around septics so I would check into that on any home you look at. It is a long narrow island so anywhere you live, you would be relatively close to the water. Whidbey does not have much in the way of retail but you can take the fifteen minute ferry to Mukilteo anytime. Good luck, it sounds like a great place to retire.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
I have maintained a "home base" in Puget Sound for over 40 years -- in Seattle and the San Juan Islands both ... for the past 11 years, I have lived mostly in my cabin in the islands -- sharing the winters on my boats in Hawaii and Calif. for escapes to sun and warmth (no, not rich ... these are camping style boats ) ... I am also retired now and very active, with grown children and grandchildren nearby.

I often go out of my way to discourage folks from moving to the NW ... both for their own good and to stave off the invaison of my favorite place on earth.

You, however, strike me as fitting Whidbey perfectly, for some reason. Fantastic place. Enjoy.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM

61 posts, read 216,013 times
Thanks nullgeo! We have lived in a number of places through the years where transplants came, complained about what it was like and moved away. We always try to integrate into the local culture and become part of a community solution, not problem. Real Estate in Whidbey has come down quite a bit in the last couple of years, which is why we are giving it some new thought. I have heard lots of complaints about the rain, but we've spend the last 20 years in Montana and Wyoming with 7 month winters!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,830,448 times
I haven't spent much time on Whidbey Island, but I think I would stay away from Oak Harbor and look into the more rural communities. Just my opinion of course, but stick to somewhere in the middle of the island, or on the southern end.

Have you ever looked into the San Juan Islands? Very beautiful, plenty of outdoor activity and great areas!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
If you can find something for sale there, I recommend where some family of a friend live, Cornet Bay. It's near the water, with state park on one side, and convenient to Deception pass so you can get to I5 quickly without having to take a ferry. There might be occasional Naval aircraft flying over but that's
the same on all of Whidbey. You will also find more sun there than the rest of western WA, it's east of Sequim and shares the same Olympic Mountain rain shadow.

Here's one: Search homes for sale | Anacortes real estate | Anacortes Houses for sale, Anacortes property for sale, anacortes real estate agents, anacortesrealestate, anacortes homes, anacortes wa real estate, homes for sale in anacortes wa - SEARCH LISTINGS (http://cbislandliving.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&startrow=1&cfid=606149 0&cftoken=28523968 - broken link)

and a real small one: Oak Harbor, WA Home for Sale :: 197 Cornet Bay Rd 98277 :: Home4investment Real Estate Team

Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 PM

56 posts, read 161,017 times
We moved to Whidbey 5 years ago from CA. We really love here..but the winters do get a little long..however, you sound realistic regarding that. We find that a week long trip someplace "warm" the end of January or early February break it up nicely! We looked all over the island before settling on the South end.
Oak Harbor wasn't the "feel" we were looking for..and I think until you get south of Coupeville you will hear the jets from the naval base. For some, that isn't a big deal, for others it is..so that is your choice. We chose to be closer to the ferry, and we can get to any kind of shopping we need without too big a deal.
We have children in school, and thus, wanted to live in a "neighborhood". We wanted close neighbors and didn't want property to worry about maintaining, or septic tank or well, etc. Also, we do get snow (a lot this last week!) and we wanted to be near plowed roads, and also not live too far out so that if the power goes out..we aren't one of the last to get it turned back on
I say we are "pseudo islanders" because we tend to want the "city life" too! Anyway..I think Whidbey is a great choice, and we would move here again! Not too far from things..but not too close, either! You will love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington