Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times

Advertisements

I have a recollection of a thread or maybe just a few posts on this subject but apologize cause I can't seem to find them.

At which point west of PA does 112 get scenic? I am looking for a moderate driving tour for my elderly dad on our October one day Sequim visit. But I don't want to be in the car for more than 2-3 hours round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Highway 112 starts off 101 about five miles west of PA. Its almost all scenic the whole distance ending at Neah Bay. Highlights I would recommend stops at Salt Creek Park left off 112 in Joyce but make sure the tide is out so you can see the tidal pools.

The trip will take you though forest land all the way to Sekiu and along the strait to Neah Bay.

This is the most northwest spot in the continental US.
This can be a long day but well worth the trip.

PS if you only have one day start early or just go to Salt Creek if you dad gets tired. About a 50 miles round trip from PA and 80 from Sequim.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Yeah, the above poster is right. I wouldn't say don't do it, but, for instance, my wife and I lived in Forks from Mar.1983 to Mar.1984. We took that trip one or two times in the whole year we lived in Forks. It's a tad of a drive, but if you take the time they're right, it is scenic pert-near the whole time.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Highway 112 starts off 101 about five miles west of PA. Its almost all scenic the whole distance ending at Neah Bay. Highlights I would recommend stops at Salt Creek Park left off 112 in Joyce but make sure the tide is out so you can see the tidal pools.

The trip will take you though forest land all the way to Sekiu and along the strait to Neah Bay.

This is the most northwest spot in the continental US.
This can be a long day but well worth the trip.

PS if you only have one day start early or just go to Salt Creek if you dad gets tired. About a 50 miles round trip from PA and 80 from Sequim.
Thanks Rantiquity! Love you guys on C-D.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,571 times
I recall from a prior post that you wanted to see Lake Crescent. It would be a day trip but you could see both if desired (see Lake Crescent and part of the coast along Hwy 112) by making a loop: Take Hwy 101 out along Lake Crescent and then continue on Hwy 101 past the lake out to near Beaver. Take Hwy 113 up to Hwy 112. Then follow Hwy 112 back towards Port Angeles. If you look at a map of the peninsula, you'll see what this trip option would entail.

Oh, one last thought. Be aware of oncoming traffic if you take Hwy 112. It's beautiful and occasionally drivers are paying more attention to the scenery than to the traffic lanes.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
I recall from a prior post that you wanted to see Lake Crescent. It would be a day trip but you could see both if desired (see Lake Crescent and part of the coast along Hwy 112) by making a loop: Take Hwy 101 out along Lake Crescent and then continue on Hwy 101 past the lake out to near Beaver. Take Hwy 113 up to Hwy 112. Then follow Hwy 112 back towards Port Angeles. If you look at a map of the peninsula, you'll see what this trip option would entail.

Oh, one last thought. Be aware of oncoming traffic if you take Hwy 112. It's beautiful and occasionally drivers are paying more attention to the scenery than to the traffic lanes.
You can also get to highway 112 from the east end of Lake Crescent taking the East Beach rd off of 101 and cut off to Joyce on Piedmont Rd just pass the lodge. That is a real nice scenic drive.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post

Good memory Dendrite. Turns out my dad has been there and he likes to see new places. So I'll save Lake Crescent for another trip. But Madison Creek Falls is still on our list.

Thanks so much for the traffic warning. Yikes. I'll be on the lookout.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You can also get to highway 112 from the east end of Lake Crescent taking the East Beach rd off of 101 and cut off to Joyce on Piedmont Rd just pass the lodge. That is a real nice scenic drive.
Cool. Then we can do Madison Creek Falls on the way. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
The 112 drive was ok scenic, not overwhelmingly so.
Some commented that drive is challenging - windy and narrow, but I thought it was fine, except pay attention to crossing deer - got closest I've been.
In this case, the destination is better than the journey: Neah Bay and the Makah reservation.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Lake Crescent is worth the time, and once there take a hike to Marymere Falls. Deer may cross anywhere on that drive, so watch for them. My last "encounter" was just past Deer Park Rd between Sequim and Port Angeles in front of the car dealerships, and there were two. Big ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington