Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM

854 posts, read 1,142,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I agree. I think Texas liberals vs. Washington liberals are very different, as well as Texas conservatives vs. Washington conservatives are also different.

I'm a conservative, cowboy-boot-wearing kind of guy from Washington, but I felt that I was treated rudely quite a bit when I was traveling often to Texas, so I guess these things cut both ways.

(Believe it or not, TrueTimbers, I can't rep you because I've done it too many times)

I agree 100%. My biggest beef with liberals when it comes to this issue is that they preach about "acceptance" and "tolerance", but don't seem to actually practice it, due to the reasons you just mentioned. Most conservatives are just as intolerant, but at least most of them don't go around pretending they are something that they're not.
I agree with you about the Seattle Liberals being hypocrites when it comes to acceptance and tolerance. Perhaps these were the majority of people I had to deal with in Washington and it left a bad impression on me. There is an increasingly large number of Seattleites moving to the Eastern Washington area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:45 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Some live in Vancouver, WA, which has no income tax, but work and shop in Portland, OR, which has no sales tax.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 701 times
Live in Olympia area along time and love the area. My daughter lives in Texas and have visited her many times. I really enjoyed Texas. The people where nice and friendly much like Olympia. You would like Olympia/Tumwater/Lacey area. The interesting thing about this area is that is is constantly the 7 degrees of separation. I work with someone who work with my husband way before I met him 18 years ago, another went to school with my 2 daughters, another lady, her son assisted my son when he was injured and they became friends unbeknownst to us. My brother in law went to school with my husbands brother. Its really funny how so and so knows so and so. You should give Olympia a try

Old 09-26-2014, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,550 times
I really don't think that "all or nothing" comments about Washington / Seattle / ANYWHERE are very helpful.

A few key points from my limited perspective:

- Over the past 20 - 30 years Washington received many transplants from California (a majority). This influx wasn't well-received by many Washington natives at the time. Property prices shot up... and a very different social culture was introduced.

- The greater Seattle area has a very large Asian population. Roughly 13 - 14%. If the entire state is considered, Asians make up over 7% of Washington State's population.

- Washington is often described as being like 2 states: Western vs. Eastern Washington. The rural vs. suburban vs. urban differences are clear. Climate and political differences are also evident.

- Not everyone in Washington lives in Seattle. It is important to remember this, even if it is very obvious.

- Washington LEANS liberal / progressive. But, that's most often seen in Seattle / Western Washington. It is especially true since the mid 1980s that Washington has become more liberal-leaning. Is this because of the influx of people from California? I don't know.

- Washington has changed a lot in the past 20 - 30 years when it comes to commerce. Stores like Eddie Bauer, Nordstrom, Costco, Starbucks and REI went from local / regional stores to being very corporate. Microsoft, Amazon & other companies brought in many people from elsewhere (other states and countries).

In all, Washington has experienced a lot of change in the past 20 - 30 years. Keep in mind, these things are happening in many other states and cities. As well, if you browse around this website you'll clearly see that people have wildly different views on different cities / states. Some people LOVE Washington... while others are 100% negative about it. The same is true about Texas, Florida, New York, Alabama, California, etc.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Quote:
Washington LEANS liberal / progressive. But, that's most often seen in Seattle / Western Washington. It is especially true since the mid 1980s that Washington has become more liberal-leaning. Is this because of the influx of people from California? I don't know.
That's certainly a factor. I also think that increased density and urbanization is a factor. The King County Council used to have a conservative majority not that long ago, while now it is the opposite. Bellevue, when it was primarily a suburb of Seattle, was conservative, but is now increasingly liberal, as it has grown into a city with its own suburbs.

East King County is much more conservative than the rest of the county. Snohomish and Pierce Counties are much more conservative than King County.

Seattle proper does have its more conservative enclaves: east Laurelhurst, Windemere, the Highlands, Montlake/Broadmoor, Magnolia Bluffs, parts of West Seattle/Alki, North Beach/Blue Ridge, Seward Park. These are also tend to be rather well-to-do enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington