Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 7,771,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I agree Yakima isn't much different than Texas with the exception of cold dark winters and mountains. They also have Salmon, trout and Elk.
Plenty of things to fish for and shoot in Texas so it isn't that different. No elk here in Texas but there are scads of deer and wild hogs and bass fishing has been elevated to an extreme sport. And the Gulf Coast has plenty of saltwater fishing for big fish like Cobia and Tarpon.

You'll see plenty of people driving around Yakima in big muddy 4x4 trucks with gun racks which will make any rural Texan feel right at home.

Just saying that for someone who is leaving Texas to get away from all that is "Texas" if they land in Yakima it is basically going to feel like they never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM

334 posts, read 586,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
This is really a tangent from the oroginal topic here, but one of my colleague's husband is from Georgia. He is as "good ol' boy" as they get - has a very thick accent, is really into duck hunting, talks about Southern food and giggin' frogs (seriously) - I asked specifically if he had experienced any of this resentment, and said he didn't know what I was talking about. According to him, people are as nice or nicer than Georgians and no one has made him feel out-of-place.

I can't say for sure, but there may be different regions of the state that are more accepting of certain things than others?
I lived in two places in Western Washington, and routinely met a nasty reception in the places I lived and in the little places I would visit, such as Port Townsend. I'm just a mellow old lady and was very surprised (at first) at the ugly attitudes and the sarcastic remarks about my speech, especially since it was often from service people. It wasn't the content of what I was saying, it was definitely the accent and the dark tan. The tan seemed to mark me as an outsider. I didn't get to visit the eastern side of Washington.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 PM

854 posts, read 1,142,118 times
Quote:
This is really a tangent from the oroginal topic here, but one of my colleague's husband is from Georgia. He is as "good ol' boy" as they get - has a very thick accent, is really into duck hunting, talks about Southern food and giggin' frogs (seriously) - I asked specifically if he had experienced any of this resentment, and said he didn't know what I was talking about. According to him, people are as nice or nicer than Georgians and no one has made him feel out-of-place.

I can't say for sure, but there may be different regions of the state that are more accepting of certain things than others?
Malarkey, I'm gonna have to go with Granny Fats on this one. I call BS on people in Washington being nicer than Georgians or any southerners for that matter. My accent was made fun of quite frequently and I don't even have a strong one, could be where you are in Washington makes all the difference. I noticed rural people on the West side of the Cascades speaking like southerners quite often so I doubt you would feel to out of place there. However the east side of the Cascades are mostly transplants from Minnesota and have a deep hatred of anything southern.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,277,634 times
Quote:
Malarkey, I'm gonna have to go with Granny Fats on this one. I call BS on people in Washington being nicer than Georgians or any southerners for that matter. My accent was made fun of quite frequently and I don't even have a strong one, could be where you are in Washington makes all the difference. I noticed rural people on the West side of the Cascades speaking like southerners quite often so I doubt you would feel to out of place there. However the east side of the Cascades are mostly transplants from Minnesota and have a deep hatred of anything southern.
I understand that almost every post you make is a complaint about how mean Washingtonians were to you, but this comment is ridiculous for two reasons:

1) My post that you are replying to was concerning one Southern guy's remarks to me. It is his opinion, you can disagree all you want, but that's his opinion. I made no blanket comment about how Southerners are treated in Washington.

But, having said that,

2) There is a large contingent of people who moved to Central Washington from Arkansas in the '50's and '60's for agriculture, and many of them still have obvious traces of a Southern accent. I worked with (and for) many of them when I lived in Wenatchee, and not a single one of them complained about anyone being mean to them because of their accent, now or in the past.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I understand that almost every post you make is a complaint about how mean Washingtonians were to you, but this comment is ridiculous for two reasons:

1) My post that you are replying to was concerning one Southern guy's remarks to me. It is his opinion, you can disagree all you want, but that's his opinion. I made no blanket comment about how Southerners are treated in Washington.

But, having said that,

2) There is a large contingent of people who moved to Central Washington from Arkansas in the '50's and '60's for agriculture, and many of them still have obvious traces of a Southern accent. I worked with (and for) many of them when I lived in Wenatchee, and not a single one of them complained about anyone being mean to them because of their accent, now or in the past.
Southerners who act southern will be chastised. No doubt in my mind about that. If your Arnkie friends moved here in the 50's and 60's then they are old and not someone I would have associated with. The young people in Washington are the ones I am speaking about. Truthfully I left that place because of all the political correctness and phones baloney environmentalism, influx of trustifarians. The people weren't that big of a deal as long as you talked about mountains, salmon or REI and didn't mention anything about any other state. The forest fires smoke was the final kicker for me. The only times of year I actually enjoyed in Central Washington were ruined by smoke. I feel for the people there cause it sucks, I wish there was more that could be done to prevent it, not healthy to breath those toxins from the fires.

I would also like to point out almost every post I make is not about how mean Washingtonians were to me at all, you are just raging. In fact almost all of the threads I post in about the social atmosphere in Washington are started by other members who have similar opinions on the subject.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The people weren't that big of a deal as long as you talked about mountains, salmon or REI and didn't mention anything about any other state.
I think you've said that you lived in Eastern Washington, but I may be wrong about that. If that's the case, then the comment above really doesn't represent the average person from Eastern Washington. The "REI" phenomenon is almost strictly Western Washingtonians. Maybe in some liberal bastion of Seattle-transplants, like Leavenworth.

In my experience, Eastern Washingtonians are much more similar in attitude to Idahoans than Western Washingtonians. I've lived in a lot of places in Eastern Washington, and people are much more likely to wear Cabela's clothes than REI clothes.

As to the comment about fires - I don't think that there is a single area on this country that doesn't have the potential for a severe natural disaster. Unfortunately, wildland fires are our natural disaster. Much better than tornadoes or hurricanes, IMO.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I would also like to point out almost every post I make is not about how mean Washingtonians were to me at all, you are just raging. In fact almost all of the threads I post in about the social atmosphere in Washington are started by other members who have similar opinions on the subject.
Sorry, I forgot to make a comment about this - but I am not "raging", I just feel the need to point out to other posters that much of your comments seem very misinformed/inexperienced about the subject matter.

Even a few posters from Western Washington have raised a skeptical eyebrow about some of your rants about Eastern Washington - such as when you commented that lots of people in Wenatchee drive trucks with Confederate flags painted on them. Same is true about your "people only talk about REI" comment.

If your opinion of Washington is jaded, then that's your opinion, but when you make misinformed comments just to make an emotional point, then I feel the need to set the record straight. I'm not "raging" at all.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM

334 posts, read 586,193 times
People were hateful, offhand, and rude about my accent. It did happen, and it happened over and over. At a Lions Club firework stand, after I started talking, one of the men interrupted me and demanded to know my last name. I told him, and he said since it was German he'd sell to me, but he didn't like "rednecks coming into the area." He wasn't kidding. At the cute drugstore right off the ferry landing in Port Townsend, I went in and bought some high-dollar items, and when I went to check out, and said my usual "How do" to the cashier, she turned to her co-workers and said "We have a cowgirl in our store" and they all snickered, and she picked up my bills (wouldn't take from my hand) like they were dirty, and made a sour face. At at pizza place in Langley, every time I spoke, our server rolled his eyes and said "Are you from here?" That's just three little stories - it happened all the damned time. Including my son's teacher telling me she couldn't understand my speech. I have a thick accent, but not that thick. Just people trying to be nasty.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
People were hateful, offhand, and rude about my accent. It did happen, and it happened over and over. At a Lions Club firework stand, after I started talking, one of the men interrupted me and demanded to know my last name. I told him, and he said since it was German he'd sell to me, but he didn't like "rednecks coming into the area." He wasn't kidding. At the cute drugstore right off the ferry landing in Port Townsend, I went in and bought some high-dollar items, and when I went to check out, and said my usual "How do" to the cashier, she turned to her co-workers and said "We have a cowgirl in our store" and they all snickered, and she picked up my bills (wouldn't take from my hand) like they were dirty, and made a sour face. At at pizza place in Langley, every time I spoke, our server rolled his eyes and said "Are you from here?" That's just three little stories - it happened all the damned time. Including my son's teacher telling me she couldn't understand my speech. I have a thick accent, but not that thick. Just people trying to be nasty.
You don't have to prove it to me I experienced it to on a regular basis. Just nasty people is right. Although I think they have plenty of rednecks already living there.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
I completely believe you that this happened in Port Townsend, because the liberals in Western WA are accepting of all cultures - as long as it's politically correct to do so. This includes gays, minorities, etc, but if you have the vibe of a conservative, or a redneck, or a "good ol' boy", then that famous liberal "tolerance" seems to magically go away.

How did people in Eastern Washington treat you? Or Lewis or Cowlitz Counties? I guarantee you (despite what "bad apples" says) - you would not have experienced that in the conservative areas of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington