Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,275,508 times

Advertisements

Again, I can see both sides of this issue, but I certainly notice that the posters from Western WA, who haven't actually experienced the wolf re-introduction first-hand, are pro-wolf. While the posters who have lived where they have been re-introduced are not.

Funny that Idaho and Montana have changed their stances on wolf re-introduction, but Washington (where the government is a world away - or a mountain range away, at least - from what is actually going on) hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,759,476 times
Excellent point PS90. I would probably be pro-wolf also if I only saw beautiful pictures of them howling in the moonlight or against backgrounds of majestic snowfall. Photos of pups are adorable with the fuzzy fur and bright eyes. It wouldn't be possible to imagine killing something like that. It also wouldn't be possible to imagine that same pup doing the damage those of us living with the wolves have seen.

I am going to have to bite my lip a lot, now that I live in West WA if the subject of wolves comes up .

Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,059,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Ranchers in Spain know have wolves again. The old breeds of dogs are coming back.
A neighbor had one of these that somebody dumped at the meadow.

He was a great dog.

Anatolian Shepherd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 PM

196 posts, read 319,089 times
I have been reading the posts here. TrueTimbers has is right. We have really created a huge imbalance and the prey is now suffering because there are too many of them. We have them here. I love the deer but to keep numbers healthy and not starving we need the big predators. I think there are far too many people. (Maybe we should have hunting season on these. I think we do a disservice when we don't allow the predators along with their prey. And killing that alpha female was a stupid thing to do. I am not a fan of ranchers running cattle all over the place on public lands. The land in some places won't support the number they want. And the Anatolian Shepherd is a great animal to guard. It's so sad we have forgotten how to live within OUR boundries and push the animals out of their areas.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,059,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
I have been reading the posts here. TrueTimbers has is right. We have really created a huge imbalance and the prey is now suffering because there are too many of them. We have them here. I love the deer but to keep numbers healthy and not starving we need the big predators. I think there are far too many people. (Maybe we should have hunting season on these. I think we do a disservice when we don't allow the predators along with their prey. And killing that alpha female was a stupid thing to do. I am not a fan of ranchers running cattle all over the place on public lands. The land in some places won't support the number they want. And the Anatolian Shepherd is a great animal to guard. It's so sad we have forgotten how to live within OUR boundries and push the animals out of their areas.
The prey...deer and elk have rather enjoyed the "huge imbalance". BTW...there is no such thing as balance in nature. In the scientific community, that concept was thrown out in the 1970's.

Yes, there are far too many people. Maybe we need limits on immigration. We hit Zero Population Growth in 1980 in the USA. The border was opened shortly thereafter and population just took off!!

I am not a fan of running cattle on public lands. However, they are run in "sustainable" fashion on most public lands particularly Forest Service and BLM lands. The simple way in the West to determine if you are on public or private land is just check its ecological condition!!

The Anatolian Shepherd I knew was a wonderful dog The people that dumped him did a great favor. It was his meadow until they left!!

Humans don't have boundaries. Never have. They have been changing ecosystems since they showed up. Read the book 1491. In North America, it appears that ecosystems were totally shaped by American Indians for their needs. The only reason North American was "uninhabited" when the English showed up is that 90% of the Indian population died due to introduced diseases just prior to European settlement.

Hope this helps your understanding of the natural world.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,154,284 times
Could have an interesting conversation on the concept of of balance in nature. Indeed it is a cyclical thing, booms and busts. I suppose technically we are just another species impacting others, just as all species do.

However, we humans tend to have the notion, we should try and have less impact.. Hence undo what we did to the wolves.

Which I support in many ways.. Look at chronic wasting disease. We did that, with wolves it would have likely not manifested..

Will say I think us humans will go down in the history book in the category with lemming or locust..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington