Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 AM

227 posts, read 1,358,053 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me information on Port Townsend?? Would I be able to find work there as a carpenter/painter?

Also, regarding the weather, I've been told it is the rain shadow of the olympic mountain range. Does this mean it is less grey than Seattle? If so, do people flock here during winter months for sunlight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,894,686 times
Our weather in Poulsbo is similar to Seattle, just a few degrees cooler in the winter it seems. I live about 45 minutes away from Port Townsend, and go there often. I've experienced many sunny days there and lots of rainy, windy ones also. I haven't noticed the weather being that different from ours in Poulsbo (when it's cloudy here, it's usually the same there). However, there are micro-climates all over the place in this area, so it's not unusual to drive in and out of rain showers and "sun breaks" along the way.

There may be less annual rainfall on the data charts for Port Townsend, but when living here (unless you're in the convergence zone around Everett), the slight difference in climate is not that noticeable--at least it isn't to me. In other words, I wouldn't go there in the winter expecting a sunfest!

Lynn

Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,714,856 times
The rain shadow is relative. It is drier in PT, but you'll still have a lot of cloudy/partly cloudy days in winter as well as a brisk, chilly wind.

So, if you're used to Seattle, it will seem drier and sunnier. If you come from a drier and sunnier place, it may seem gray and dreary to you.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM

oic thanks. What about temperature?? I'm from the NYC vicinity so 40 degrees seems warm in the winter and 75 seems cool in the summer.

Are there lots of cloudy days in the summer or is it just the winter?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
LMB

The cloudy days are mostly in winter, and I agree with you about temps. It all depends on where you're coming from. Although we moved here from Florida, we're originally from the midwest. Compared to Illinois, winters here seem very mild and summers are quite enjoyable. We've spent much more time outside in western WA than we ever did in IL or FL. Be sure and visit in both winter and summer to experience it personally. Weather is such a subjective subject! There are tons of posts in these forums with varied opinions about the weather and they are ALL correct--at least they are for the person writing them.

Lynn

Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the help. One more question - How long are the summers?? I read summers are very short, lasting only 2 months(july and august). Spring doesnt end till the end of June and autumn starts in early september.

Is this true??? In the NYC vicinity the feeling of summer starts may 10thish and last till early october.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 PM
LMB

As full-time residents, my husband and I only have one summer under our belts to compare, but others here will have more longterm feedback. Our newbie impression is that summer here is unlike any summer we've experienced before living in the midwest and southeast US. The locals tell us that summer starts after the 4th of July, but this year's 4th was warm and beautiful. We experienced two hot days in July, and then a week of chilly, rainy weather right after that. Otherwise the weather was mostly pleasant (IMO) all the way through September--no AC needed and no mosquitoes! Perfect summer weather and very much appreciated after living in FL. September was a much nicer month weatherwise than we expected. The fall color in October was gorgeous! Lots of sunny and dry fall days this year, which evidently is somewhat unusual.

Hopefully a New Yorker living here can compare the summer seasons between the two places. This area will be distinctly different than NY, probably more like a lengthy spring season is there, but much drier here. Unless it's watered, the only time the grass turns brown around here is the summertime!

Lynn

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,060,095 times
Good comments, Lynn.

However, anything close to the description of summer in western Washington is in fact July and August. I often exaggerate that there are only 2 weeks of summer; the last week in July and the first week in August but those two weeks are generally the only two weeks that you can count on as having truly summer weather.

How many times have I complained about having to turn on the furnace in June and September? It can get very chilly during those two months.

cvanripe, in my opinion, you've pretty much accurately summarized the summer in your last post. Many, although, will disagree with me as we've had some differences in opinion in various threads before on this forum about this subject. My views come from many decades living in the area but that doesn't make my opinion correct either.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 21,136 times
Default Good to know

I hope I am not intruding. My wife and I are looking to move to the West coast as well. Port Townsend would be one of our choices as well. My wife's parents have a house in LaConner (near Mount Vernon). We have made several trips to PT. Great place. We both love it there. I am concerned about jobs and housing prices. I am studying to be a nurse (graduate in July 2008) and my wife is a special education teacher. We would like a house a little ways from town. Is that possible and what is the job market like there or places close to there?
Peace and respect,
Nurse98

Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM

95 posts, read 380,814 times
Nurse 98, I think that with both of your chosen professions, you would stand a good chance of getting work in PT. Your wife may have to wait longer, for full time work, but a nurse should be able to get in pretty quick. Prices have gone up for real estate, dramatically, in the past 10 years. Just like most places. Be warned, however, that the average joe in PT is not the brightest. But, again, given your professions, you will be meeting more educated people!(Coworkers, that is)
The drug use among school age kids is horrific, however, as well as is the pregnancy rate for teens. Even among kids of "professionals". I have seen many parents face this too late, despite the fact that they thought it wouldn't affect THEIR kids. But, now I am off the track, sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington