Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,660 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family moved three years ago from Portland,Oregon to Gig Harbor,Wa (Tacoma/Seattle area) three years ago. We are having to look at moving to Yakima for my husband's job. We have three kids and I don't hear great things about this area except beautiful sunshine compared to what we have been living in. Can anyone give me an honest opinion if we should even consider moving to Yakima? What is retail shopping like? Are people friendly? Can you feel safe living there? Thanks for any and all information that you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Yakima looks really bad (rundown) outside of downtown (Yakima Ave). I can't imagine living there. Tri-Cities look like Beverly Hills compared to Yakima.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
I have been living in Yakima for 3 years now, and it's not that bad, provided you don't live downtown. There are a lot or average (or a little below average depending where you're from) neighborhoods and some pretty nice ones, but you won't think you're in Beverly hills that's for sure.

Retail is OK, the Union Gap area (just south of yakima) has most stores you would need, though most businesses close early here, and many are closed on Sunday.

People are Ok, not that outgoing, but not mean either usually.

A lot of people in the county are pretty hick, the culture is definitely different here than say in the greater Seattle area.

This area isn't nearly as attractive as where you are, but there are a fair amount of trees in many parts of the area.

It's also much lower cost of living, except housing in some parts seems high considering the area.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Just curious, can you show me on the map where the nice areas are.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
The nicer parts of Yakima proper are in the north-west part of town.

OP, I would suggest you probably want to live in the unincorporated areas outside of town rather than in town proper.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Look at Ellensburg and the Tri-Cities and have your husband make the commute. Not bad from either one. Sure, there are some nice areas of Yakima, and I love visiting when I go to see friends who live there, but it certainly wouldn't be a place I'd like to live. Ellensburg or Tri-Cities would be better. Yakima itself is just kind of run down looking and scary (especially the area right off the interstate!).

Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,610 times
I am a transplanted resident from Maryland and am living here for 1 and 1/2 years. I have ignored the negatives posted in this forum so I found out that the area of West Valley is real good. However, I do love the Yakima weather - less humid! Superb low cost of living, too.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,660 times
Thank you all for giving input. Very difficult decision and when you talk to people NO ONE says anything good about Yakima. We used to live in Bakersfield but at least there was tons of retail and resources...

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Look into the West Valley area. I have also heard the Terrance Heights area is nice.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:05 AM

104 posts, read 133,463 times
I would not move to Yakima with a family / school-aged children if I had the choice. The downtown area and residential areas in close proximity to the downtown core (and east of downtown) look horrible... Completely rundown. Graffiti is rampant. Store fronts are empty. Yes, there is the mall area and we have two Wal-Marts and they're putting in a big new McDonald's right in the center of downtown (we should be so proud... sarcasm!). The two high schools in Yakima are/have been remodeled, but I am not impressed with the Yakima School District (but that's my general feeling toward the U.S. educational system...). Rents may appear to be lower than the Gig Harbor/Seattle area... but they are ridiculously overpriced for what you get and compared to what earnings are. Buying a home would be a better choice if that is what you are interested in doing. People are friendly enough, but there is a pervasive "country hick" mentality that seems to exist, and the educational level is nothing to brag about. Church / religion seems to be big - where you will connect with other people. Old families, old money, "status" positions (Dr's, attorneys, Fruit). I've found people here tend to "hang out" with the people they grew up with or isolate themselves with their families, and I've heard a lot of transplants say that they've been here 10 years+ and still haven't made any "real" friends. I think crime is a real problem here. I may get condemned for saying this, but the illegal immigrant situation will open your eyes if you haven't been exposed to it before... I believe it's created a severe cultural divide in Yakima which has changed the area immensely. I do not consider myself a racist individual by any means, and have always cherished / enjoyed diversity in several other cities I have lived in, but it is different here in Yakima. I seriously feel I am living in Mexico most of the time and that this is no longer a part of the United States. If looking for employment you will find a high demand for bilingual applicants preferred. People LOVE to toot West Valley's horn... I grew up in that area, but prefer our current location so much more (just west of downtown; older, established neighborhood near Franklin Park). Much more character in the homes, more trees than W. Valley, and we are centrally located to everything. Takes just a few minutes to get anywhere; whereas I feel isolated in W.V.. West Valley appears (imo) too sterile and "dead" in a lot of the development areas. "People say" the W.V. schools are "better"... I found that to be a veiled euphemism for "W.V. schools are more white" (which is not necessarily the case). I don't think any of the public schools are that great here. There are some private school choices but they can be a bit cliquey unless you started attending in kindergarten. The people here are friendly enough, but terribly judgmental / gossipy. I've found that unless you grew up with them or are related to them or have something (i.e. status/money) they might want or want to attach themselves to, then it is hard to "fit in". Lot of "good ol' boy" groups. Lot of Republicans. We don't feel particularly "safe" here... Gunfire / shots can be heard (we've, unfortunately, become used to the sound and almost block it out now). It's been hard to find good activities for tween/teenage kids here - unless your kids are really into sports. I have not been too impressed with the shopping choices ... some of the smaller, unique shops are too pricey and the mall type stores (Old Navy, Ross, Gap) are just too typical. We have a nice Greenway to walk / bike on, but there can be safety issues there as well. I must sound very negative, but I wouldn't move my family here if I had the choice. I just don't find it a very vibrant community to live in and neither does my child. As he has observed and commented on - it seems like the only things to do here are for adults and they all center around drinking / wine tasting bars! How sad! If you want to have numerous opportunities (educationally, culturally, etc.) for your children, I would not move here. On the plus side... The weather is really nice - summers can be hot, but a nice mix of four seasons. If you do move here, be sure to have some land where you can at least plant a veggie garden (and a place that has irrigation)... It's so easy to grown your own food and saves a lot of money (and it's so good!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington