Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:36 PM

129 posts, read 202,541 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to move from Austin Tx to Washington in the next 6 months. The problem is that we have no idea where to start. Of course safety is important to us and we both agree that we would like to live on some type of water whether it be a lake, river, or the ocean. I would prefer an area where I can try ice fishing as well as regular fishing. We both love to fish, but would only hunt if we absolutely had to.
I am disabled due to many back surgeries so the cold isn't as bad on me as wet, nasty weather is. That is one reason we are nervous about the Northwest states. Are there places in Washington that aren't soaked with rain, but aren't desert area either? Also, I was reading that there are a lot of landslides, earthquakes, and volcanoes in Washington....what is the truth to this? Some think that everyone in Texas wears boots and hats so I know the truth can be skewed sometimes.
We also can't forget our 4 pug children. We will be looking for a home that will keep them nice and toasty as well.
We will be attempting to live on around $2000/month and in Austin, that is impossible to do. We also want to live somewhere that we can drive to a grocery store, but out far enough that if things go bad in the US, we won't be in the middle of things.
I enjoy the outdoors although I am limited because of my disability. However, my partner isn't too much of an outdoor girl so we are trying to meet somewhere in the middle.
We are looking for any advise that y'all can give us.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
It sounds like Western Washington would have too much rain and overcast skies for you plus there is a genuine earthquake risk along with volcanoes and certainly there are landslides due to the rain. Eastern Washington will certainly be drier, sunnier and will have more distinct seasons including snow, plus there are lakes and fishing. The cost of living in Eastern Washington is less as well. For example, finding a home in Western Washington that rented and allowed four dogs would be a challenge and would require you to be more rural (plus the rain).

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It sounds like Western Washington would have too much rain and overcast skies for you plus there is a genuine earthquake risk along with volcanoes and certainly there are landslides due to the rain. Eastern Washington will certainly be drier, sunnier and will have more distinct seasons including snow, plus there are lakes and fishing. The cost of living in Eastern Washington is less as well. For example, finding a home in Western Washington that rented and allowed four dogs would be a challenge and would require you to be more rural (plus the rain).
Thank you for your response. We are actually looking to perhaps purchase a home. But you hit the nail on the head with us wanting distinct seasons. Is there a certain body of water or certain town you might suggest?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Consider Cashmere and Wenatchee. Best of both worlds with access to either (We_T and Dry) + LOTS of great fishing and variety, and GREAT regional public transportation to VERY NICE spots (Leavenworth to Chelan).

Colville would be another choice, but it is NOT EZ to be disabled there. (must go to Spokane for everything). Lake fishing is tough to beat in the NE of WA and southern BC.

Walla Walla is worth a look, but prairie / plains vs. Wenatchee (Mtns and Plateaus and nearby forests)

BTW... after 30+ yrs in we_tern WA... I bought a place near Kerrville last yr. I LUV to be able to escape there during the winter. Very fast and cheap from PDX.

Columbia Gorge is another place to look... White Salmon / Hood River is the best location there. (east enuf to B dry, but west enough to not have ticks and rattlers) 1 hr to Portland. 2 hrs to Oregon Coast. 2 minutes to Wind surfing or fishing. Mt Adams and Mt Hood are both 'next door' and have abundant fishing and lots of trails.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 PM

I think Spokane but I'm not really good at Eastern Washington, you might try posting in the Spokane forum. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Peaceful Valley in Spokane.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Peaceful Valley in Spokane.
There you go!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider Cashmere and Wenatchee. Best of both worlds with access to either (We_T and Dry) + LOTS of great fishing and variety, and GREAT regional public transportation to VERY NICE spots (Leavenworth to Chelan).

Colville would be another choice, but it is NOT EZ to be disabled there. (must go to Spokane for everything). Lake fishing is tough to beat in the NE of WA and southern BC.

Walla Walla is worth a look, but prairie / plains vs. Wenatchee (Mtns and Plateaus and nearby forests)

BTW... after 30+ yrs in we_tern WA... I bought a place near Kerrville last yr. I LUV to be able to escape there during the winter. Very fast and cheap from PDX.

Columbia Gorge is another place to look... White Salmon / Hood River is the best location there. (east enuf to B dry, but west enough to not have ticks and rattlers) 1 hr to Portland. 2 hrs to Oregon Coast. 2 minutes to Wind surfing or fishing. Mt Adams and Mt Hood are both 'next door' and have abundant fishing and lots of trails.
Thank you for all of the great information! Someone had posted about ticks being in Washington? Can you tell me more about that? We have ticks in Texas, but very rarely and I sure don't want to be around them starting anytime soon! I took a look at the White Salmon/Hood River area and it was the one I really liked out of all the locations mentioned. It's not too far from a big city if need be. Is the cost of living in that area fairly low? And what are the seasons like there? We would really like to be able to have a white Christmas. That's not something that usually happens where we are from.
I'm assuming that this is freshwater fishing in this area? Also, does it get cold enough for us to try our hand at ice fishing anywhere in the area?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but as I mentioned this is a whole new world for us.
That is really awesome about having a getaway in Kerrville. I bet it's definitely A LOT warmer for you in the winter!

Again, thank you for all of your help!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Hood River area is a lot more affordable than Seattle but still high compared to most of Texas. A modest home there can be bought for $200,000 and up. Ice fishing is pretty rare in most of the state, with tricky fishing regulations and the only lakes that freeze over solid enough are not really accessible in winter without a snowmobile. It's pretty much limited to eastern and north central WA, such as
Leavenworth/Lake Wenatchee area.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,180 times
Best advice is stay in Austin. Its a great city compared to many. Washington is a huge contrast from your growing home. Multiply traffic by 20 for starters. I live in south GA but I have lived in Dallas. If I were to go back to Texas it would be to live in Austin. I travel to Washington almost twice a week. Not a good place for me but its all about where you from originally. Country boy at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington