Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

60 posts, read 406,778 times

Advertisements

Ok, here is some background info: We've just moved from Singapore (my 5-yr-old son and I). Hubby is American and has been in Kent the last year - we're still in Kent at the moment but are planning to move asap so that we can place our son in a good school in either Puyallup or Sumner.

Before that, we were in Singapore. My son has never been to school as I have home-schooled him. I am a former high-school teacher.

I am very new to the American school system so will welcome whatever views you may have that will help me make a more informed decision. So far, I have used as my sources the OSPI and GreatSchools ratings but would really love to hear the views of folks who live in these areas or know of people who have had experience with these schools. Feel free to pm me or leave your views here.

I very much appreciate the time you will take to pen your thoughts.

For now - till we are a little more stable with income since I am currently not working, for the reason that I need to be at home to look after my son till he finds a good school - we need to look for a public school.

Any thoughts on good Catholic schools (for when we can afford it) will also be appreciated.

Thanks very much indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Puyallup vs Sumner

Hi everybody,

I actually wrote personal messages to a couple of board members but one of them suggested me making this email public, so here goes:

I am at a crossroads in my family life. To cut a long story short: I wonder if u would recommend a move to Puyallup or Sumner?

This is my situation:

1) We have a 5-yr-old kindergartener whom we are looking for a good public school for (simply because private schools are too expensive).

2) Also, I have been reading about the charming homes in Sumner...while that can be a big draw to some, to arachnophobe me, it spells SPIDERS!!! I assume "charming" equals to "old" which means more spiders are likely to be found there? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am seriously fearful of them and want to do whatever it takes to avoid them (I'm from Singapore- we practically have no spiders there!). I have no problem with daddy-long-legs and tiny house spiders but anything 1 inch big (INCLUDING LEGS) is too big for me. Would you be able to tell me what the spider situation is like in either of these places?

3) Also, I am Asian Indian...is there a very small-town mentality in these places that would make integration difficult for my son and I (hubby is white)?

4) Finally, which of the two is a safer place to live in?

Basically, bearing all these in mind, which would you say suits our family the best?

I would be most appreciative of whatever advice you can give me.

Last edited by msservos; 11-13-2007 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Sumner would be my choice all the way.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
1. I have heard good things about the public schools in Sumner although I don't have much experience personally.
2. There are spiders but Western Washington spiders don't pose a real threat. I have never run across a spider that didn't want to just get away from me and my big feet.
3. I don't have any experience with "small town mentality". My cousin lived in Sumner for a short while and she said that she ran across it because her daughter is half black.
4. I wouldn't really deem either of those two cities as unsafe. Puyallup is bigger so that usually equates to more crime, but also means a more diverse crowd of people.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

We also visited the University District and I loved the vibes I got there! So that's another place under consideration...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Is the U district within a reasonable commute to/from your husband's work? I'm just wondering since you start out with Sumner/Puyallup but then talk about the U district, which is a good distance away in Seattle, unless you are confusing that with University Place?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Actually, I am considering both UP and U District...but i REALLY love U District.

My hubby drives a company vehicle...he's a technician, so anywhere good in WA really is ok with us. Now I am looking for areas with good neighbourhoods and schools. Problem is, I'm not sure if I can afford to live in UD (our budget is a home of about 200 to 250K). We are ok with living in a condo. A 2-bedroom one. Wonder if it's realistic or too idealistic?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 AM

97 posts, read 427,661 times
I'd go with Puyallup. It tests higher on the WASL than Sumner does (WASL is the graduation test required of all Washington High School Students to Graduate) and Sumner has had levy failures that have sometimes crippled their school system. Puyallup pours I'd say way too much money into schools compared to school districts in the area.

Puyallup has a catholic private school called Cascade Christian and I have a cousin going there now but frankly I believe Puyallup's schools to be the strongest in the South Sound if not the State. I remember reading at one point that Puyallup was only second to Spokane's School District a couple years ago. But that could have changed.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM

73 posts, read 307,148 times
Hi Msservos,
I've lived in the puyuallup/sumner area for over 17 years (5 in Puyallup and more than 12 in Sumner) and thought I would offer you my opinions.
Sumner is my favorite city and we have really enjoyed living here. Very family friendly.

You mentioned wanting to find good schools. I wondered if you have considered home schooling? We homeschool our children and not only does it make them smarter, but also makes for a very close family unit. Just a thought. I'd be happy to discuss this further with you if you want to pm me.

As for Cascade Christian, I used to work there and just for the record, it is NOT a Catholic school, but a Christian school, as the name dictates.

The UD is NOT a great place to raise a family - it is close to Seattle and there are higher crime rates. If you have children, I think the main priority is a family oriented place in which they can learn and grow in.

Puyallup is over crowded and the traffic is horrendous. We avoid it at all costs, but must go there from time to time for shopping, etc.
Sumner is growing fast and there are both old and new homes to choose from. You would probably not have too hard of a time finding one in your price range.

I wish you well on your journey!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Xenobion: Sorry I never replied to your post. I just never noticed it!

I was actually quite set on Puyallup till I read that if Rainier were to erupt, it would be in the path of destruction. So, that was crossed out.

beauty4ashes: I assume the same would hold true for Sumner? Anyway, for now, we have settled on University Place which has a great school district from what I've read and asked around. Our son will be attending a good school there starting January (which is when we managed to get an apartment there). I've been to the school and like it very much.

I will talk to you more on pm, k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington