Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,166,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2byte View Post
Eastern wa is VERY conservative. I know, I am from there & much family is there. Did I mention VERY conservative? See if you can find voting results by county for our state, might be helpful.

We have lakes, ocean, mountains, colleges here in western WA, keep up your research.
Where do you live?? Ah, "here in western WA".

Most people in eastern Washington are tolerant of different lifestyles. It is the "in you face" lifestyles that are hard to tolerate. However, most of those are "urban, new rich, microsoft transplants, etc. etc.".

Chelan had a gay mayor well over two decades ago. In Wenatchee, some urban transplants tried to get rid of gay teachers in the school system. They were told to knock it off rather quickly.

Lots of gays in Wenatchee at all levels of society. They do not have naked parades on Wenatchee Ave...however.

Tolerance cuts both ways. People will judge you on how you treat other people. Good people go beyond gender orientation or politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM

617 posts, read 1,211,853 times
A wooded area in Eastern WA means a high wild-fire risk... I'd personally take the potential for earthquakes and floods over that. I'd look into Sequim or Port Angeles in Western WA. That area has much less rain than the rest of Western WA and probably has what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM

526 posts, read 904,709 times
close to 20 years ago, a couple gay professional guys I casually knew moved to Spokane from Seattle area - one reason being it had an "active gay community". I know no more.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM

403 posts, read 872,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Where do you live?? Ah, "here in western WA".

Most people in eastern Washington are tolerant of different lifestyles. It is the "in you face" lifestyles that are hard to tolerate. However, most of those are "urban, new rich, microsoft transplants, etc. etc.".

Chelan had a gay mayor well over two decades ago. In Wenatchee, some urban transplants tried to get rid of gay teachers in the school system. They were told to knock it off rather quickly.

Lots of gays in Wenatchee at all levels of society. They do not have naked parades on Wenatchee Ave...however.

Tolerance cuts both ways. People will judge you on how you treat other people. Good people go beyond gender orientation or politics.
I grew up in eastern WA, 75% of family is there (Moses Lake/Ephrata), I did high school in Seattle area and moved years ago to SW WA. I've been all over WA.

It would be awesome if people could look behind gender, race & orientation but sadly they don't. Growing up I didn't have a Caucasian friend until middle school I think. I wasn't raised to make choices on skin color or anything other than "are they good people?".

Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 PM

15 posts, read 31,512 times
Thank you so much everyone for all of the awesome info! I really appreciate all of the great responses! It's definitely helping to make the task of figuring out where to live much much easier I hope you guys aren't too horribly smashed by that storm I saw was heading through there Thoughts are with you all!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 AM

4,566 posts, read 3,907,967 times
I would look into the Spokane area.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

303 posts, read 828,277 times
You probably have already moved here but I want to second Ellensburg as a recommendation. 15 minutes from the Forest. Not as in your face conservative as the rest of Central/Easter WA. 2 hrs from Seattle. I know a few gay people here who do very well. College town meets cow town. I like it. Moved here a year ago from the We_t side.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,554,799 times
Look at comment #2. If that is what you want, then you'll want to be in Western WA. If you want to live where people don't care about your sexual orientation, then Eastern WA will be just fine. In 2013 the Magazine Advocate voted Spokane #3 in terms of Gay friendly...in the nation. To be fair Tacoma was #1 and Seattle was #5.

Anyway, if your goal is to be paraded around as the "gay friend" like you're some sort of accessory, then Western WA is where you want to be. Unfortunately here in Eastern WA many people don't care about your sexuality. Not one bit. So you might not get that same "look at me, I'm cool and hip" vibe that you get on the other side. If you are good people, work hard, pay taxes, don't mind kids and animals you're more than welcome over here.

Now, the million dollar question; How accepting are you of people who have different views?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM

21,999 posts, read 15,877,917 times
Here are the results of Referendum 74 voting for gay marriage in Washington State:

Washington Referendum 74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,554,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here are the results of Referendum 74 voting for gay marriage in Washington State:

Washington Referendum 74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That shows me that when the majority of a state's voters vote for something then it becomes law and is upheld. Is that your position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington