Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times

Advertisements

OP, to avoid Picture 1, don't go around Coulee Dam, and some areas along US 2 east of Wenatchee. Skip I-82 as well.

Picture 2 is in New Zealand. Check out Norway, and possibly Alaska. But if you like the green/mountains/water thing, also consider North Idaho (Sandpoint & Coeur d'Alene).

I'll also note, that my current adoptive state (Colorado) doesn't have too much in the way of water, but places like Grand Lake & Lake Granby (far from any sort of non-tourist industry) and Silverthorne/Frisco (very $$$, and winter based tourism primarily) are the only places that 'kinda' come to mind. Don't bother looking at anything east of, or within 30 miles of I-25.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Picture 2 is in New Zealand. Check out Norway, and possibly Alaska.
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. There's not really anything to that scale and style in the continental US. Washington has a few places that approach it but there are no towns nearby:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 69,775 times
I've been combining what I've learned here with some research I've done on my own and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Skagit area fits what I'm looking for. It's hard to tell based on google so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I can't begin to convey my gratitude for the assistance I've received here...my visit to Washington is mostly organized and I was really overwhelmed before I read everyone's responses so sincerely thank you all so very much.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Mt. Vernon is the "largest" city of that county (@ ~30K people), roughly about 40-45 mins from Bellingham and a little over an hour from Seattle. Definitely would have the views you're looking for; my friend owns some property up on Lake Cavanaugh-- oh, gosh, the views all alpine with the water-- hard to beat, just über-glorious. With that said... it is a depressed county with not a lot of opportunities within. A lot of people commute long distances for their work.

I have another friend who was born and raised in Darrington-- she absolutely loves it... so much, now she's raising her first child there. Her husband has to commute all the way down to Lake Stevens for his work. A former class-mate lives in Sedro-Wooley, she's the kind of girl that likes fishing, hunting, hiking and all that stuff. The only "bad" about SW is the... sex offenders that live there (from what people tell me; I have no idea if SW has more than normal amount of sex offenders or not).

You asked about hospitals.... well, Mt. Vernon does have a hospital (Skagit Valley) but I wouldn't attach the word "prestigious" to it (for those, you'd better come down to Seattle).

Burlington is cute. Not much going on there though, very sleepy (well, actually that applies to just about all the cities/town in Skagit county). Anacortes is such a charming sea-side town.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,910 times
Default what????

seriously i couldnt tell a difference between what you wanted and what u didnt want.. move to ellensburg.. youre in the middle of the state.............. but the best hospital is in wenatchee

Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 AM

27 posts, read 69,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnsara View Post
seriously i couldnt tell a difference between what you wanted and what u didnt want.. move to ellensburg.. youre in the middle of the state.............. but the best hospital is in wenatchee
In the photo I did not like the texture of the mountain was very smooth and the peaks were at nearly the same even height, the image I do like had a stark contrast in peak heights and much more jagged looking texture. I'm an artist so I'm very particular, hence the title. Thank you for your advice about the Wenatchee hospital, that is very good to know.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,910 times
you are no more than an hour away from any topography in wash state. there was a movie made in Umpanaum canyon just a few miles from here.. it was chosen because of its primitive appearence. any place around here i think you would appreciate. Ellensburg has a big artists population. we have mt rainier.. we also have the north cascades..all are scenic and rugged.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,194,575 times
Couple places I didn't see listed...

Stehekin
Winthrop
Sequim
Packwood

Of course, a couple barely qualify as towns...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Stehekin is by the far the best at jagged mountain views. But I assumed a place with only satellite cell phone service and requires a 50 mile ferry ride to access wasn't what the OP had in mind.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
Default up by it's bootstraps

Gosh, Leavenworth DOES have the 'guy with the horn'...at the Enzian during various festivals, in the mornings during the buffet breakfasts there (at the Enzian).
That was the whole idea behind Leavenworth's efforts to pull itself up by the bootstraps, when the town was about to 'go under'...create a Bavarian Village! Gosh, it has worked! I try to visit there at least once a year. It is a wonderful town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington