Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

478 posts, read 809,565 times

Advertisements

I have about 2 weeks off starting the 29th of September, and have been considering taking a vacation to the North Cascades National Park/Pasayten wilderness area of Washington. I've never been there before, but it looks beautiful from photos and I think it might make a nice trip.

I have a few questions about conditions in the area. Is there any fall color left around that time of year in the region? Also, how difficult do the snow conditions tend to be? (I'm presuming that at higher elevations there will already probably be some snow by that time of year) Last, can anybody on here vouch for it as a worthwhile backcountry destination? I'm coming from Maryland, and my basic plan is to just hike out to an isolated central location, pack a tent/food/supplies and explore the surrounding landscape and trails for about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
I have about 2 weeks off starting the 29th of September, and have been considering taking a vacation to the North Cascades National Park/Pasayten wilderness area of Washington. I've never been there before, but it looks beautiful from photos and I think it might make a nice trip.

I have a few questions about conditions in the area. Is there any fall color left around that time of year in the region? Also, how difficult do the snow conditions tend to be? (I'm presuming that at higher elevations there will already probably be some snow by that time of year) Last, can anybody on here vouch for it as a worthwhile backcountry destination? I'm coming from Maryland, and my basic plan is to just hike out to an isolated central location, pack a tent/food/supplies and explore the surrounding landscape and trails for about a week.
The Pasayten is a large wilderness. And with the adjacent acreage in the North Cascades National Park it is almost as large as the state of Rhode Island with no roads and very little flat ground.

There should be some fall color left, mostly larch in the upper elevations.

It is a great wilderness, but more oriented towards horse use rather than backpacker. There are miles and miles of trail through very similar country before you break out into the higher elevations. Large portions of the eastern half of the wilderness have burned in fires the last ten years. I think this has made the wilderness much more attractive to hikers since the trees are not obstructing the views.

The Pacific Crest Trail finishes in the Pasayten Wilderness and you can read the trail logs of thru-hikers at the Pacific Crest Trail website: pcta.org. You can also talk to the trail folks at the Winthrop Ranger District for additional information.

Not sure what other Wilderness areas you have hiked and are considering. If I was flying from back east I would consider the High Sierra.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
Thanks for your feedback. Most of my nature experience in the west has been in Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. I have also visited Mt Rainier & Olympic NP. I found the Pacific Northwest fascinating and want to try to go back and explore it more thoroughly.

What first caught my attention about the Pasayten was reading an article describing it as one of the wildest places left in the lower 48 states. I also liked reading about the abandoned airstrip, old mining claims, and other traces of an older west.

I have also considered the Sierra John Muir Wilderness, Death Valley National Park, or perhaps the Absaroka/Beartooth region of Wyoming as alternatives depending on the weather conditions. I don't mind some snow, but would prefer to avoid having to rent snow-shoes or camp in really wintery conditions. I realize I'm cutting it close with the Cascades that time of year, but it might be worth a shot.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
I suspect the Beartooth will be snowy that time of year. But I have not spent much time in that part of the country.

The Tungsten Mine is an interesting place to visit, but you probably saw better in Colorado. The airstrip is an old Forest Service strip that was used over 40 years ago. Interesting place. There is an nice Forest Service cabin there.

If you are a strong hiker you can access these areas after a couple day hike.

The access is better and easier from Canada, but the Border Patrol has really closed entry from that direction. You might want to call them in Oroville, Washington and see what they say. In the past, there were Canadians crossing the border illegally with mountain bikes and quads for the day. Now the Border Patrol runs horse patrols up there and I suspect you will be on candid camera when close to the border area.

The Canadian side of the area is highly developed with resorts, farms, homes, etc. But they are not visible from the US side so it does feel like your very isolated.

Reading the PCT journals will give you some ideas of weather conditions to expect in September and early October since this is when most thru hikers complete the PCT.

The Pasayten is a popular hunting area and I would check the regulations on that. It seems like you would be between open seasons. The other option is to have one of the outfitters ride you into area your interested in and drop you off. You could then hike around and back out without wasting time slogging up the valley trails.

It is more of a Montana type wilderness....big with long travel distances than a Washington state wilderness.

I was getting paid to hike in the Pasayten so my attitude maybe slightly biased by that fact. It was always work to me!!

Almost forgot: www.nwhikers.net. This is THE hiking site for Washington state. You can search for trip reports on the Pasayten Wilderness and you can also ask questions of the participants. Good site.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
It will be cold and possibly snowing in that part of the state in October (well snow isn't too likely). I would go to the Olympic national park instead as it is at lower elevation and near the coast so doesn't get as cold and the roads won't be as likely to be slippery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington