Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM

27 posts, read 70,093 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Washington last night...saw everything, man was that a lot of driving but soooooooooo worth it...hoping to move this year, still split on which area yet. Hard to be back in the smog here but wanted to thank you guys so much, couldn't have done this properly without your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,975,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcraver View Post
Just got back from Washington last night...saw everything, man was that a lot of driving but soooooooooo worth it...hoping to move this year, still split on which area yet. Hard to be back in the smog here but wanted to thank you guys so much, couldn't have done this properly without your help!
What places did you like? You go to Port Angles? Bellingham? Wish I was in Washington!

98°F heat forecast for this afternoon here and I have no A/C.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM

82 posts, read 289,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What places did you like? You go to Port Angles? Bellingham? Wish I was in Washington!

I'd like to know the answers to those questions as well. What was your favorite place there? Did you take any pictures? If so, please feel free to share with us!

Also, @ Nei, it's around the same here and has been consistently for several months now. Unfortunately, I have to wear thick scrubs that have the same consistency of Dickies work wear. To top that off I have to wear thermal underneath to hide my tattoos. It feels marvelous getting into your car after it's been roasting out in the 100 degree temperatures all day.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
I'd like to know the answers to those questions as well. What was your favorite place there? Did you take any pictures? If so, please feel free to share with us!
Whoops I thought this thread and gemcraver was the person looking for small mountain towns in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...rington-2.html

(yourself) and was curious where you went. Well keep us posted if you do visit!

I showed you a number of photos on that thread. In that thread I posted ones from the Olympic penisula only, in the general photo thread I posted photos from other areas a while back. I could post links to them if you're interested.

I really liked the scenery of Washington, though I like the Northeast (especially New England) for rural towns. Washington is more civillization and wilderness with less in between while New England small towns look a bit nicer and often have more amenities.

Quote:
Also, @ Nei, it's around the same here and has been consistently for several months now. Unfortunately, I have to wear thick scrubs that have the same consistency of Dickies work wear. To top that off I have to wear thermal underneath to hide my tattoos. It feels marvelous getting into your car after it's been roasting out in the 100 degree temperatures all day.
The difference we get a hot day once in a while but it's not consistent. Thursday-Sunday will be in the low to mid 80s in the afternoon and mid 50s at night. Looks like it will get back to around 90°F again afterwards, the East has been having a hot summer this year.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
Missed this part. I went to the Columbia River Gorge (mostly on the Oregon side) to The Dalles then northwest through the intially desert country to the shoulder of Mt. Adams. Would have checked out Mt. St Helens if snow hadn't blocked it. Then went to Seattle, Olympic Penisula. Saw some of Southern BC, then eastern side of the North Cascade down to Chelan. Spent a few days camping near Stehekin after taking the ferry over Lake Chelan. Then went across the North Cascades and went through the western parts (Marblemount to Darrington and the Mountain Loop Highway). Here are some photos:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22107229-post304.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22094709-post299.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22192375-post318.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/23629496-post426.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/23632128-post428.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/23931501-post471.html

Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 PM

8,553 posts, read 9,060,328 times
The Darrington picture looks to me like it has a flooded field in the foreground. It is not a lake, I don't beileve.

Shrike's list is pretty good but I'd add Chelan and Stehekin and near Cle Elum.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Sorry for the VERY delayed response. It's been a hellish year in New York saving up for the move which since the school year is ending is approaching rapidly. I liked mount Si in north Bend the most but I didn't end up going to Port Angles because my boyfriend and I decided we only had time for places that we would potentially actually live in and living so close to the water scared us (after going through hurricane Sandy in retrospect I support our decision even more). We also did fall in love with the Bellingham because of the view although the town layout was so foreign to us, which isn't necessarily a bad thing just that North Bend seemed more like we feel safe in. Not because of any crime rates, just because it's difficult to adjust to a new setting.

With Sandy hitting us we lost everything we own, except the car thanks to me insisting we evacuate. We haven't saved up as much as I would have wanted to but I'm determined to move to Washington now and not later. Renton was the place that as far as I know is safe and affordable and then we can move to a better view once we have our finances settled. Any information anyone can give us about Renton? I have lots of photos I want to share but they are on a digital camcorder/mostly videos and I hope it is one of the few things we were able to save before the storm but I have yet to find it.

Here is where we went (we went to Olympia, Tacoma, within view of Anacortes, and all the way to Stehekin too):

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,971,984 times
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that you went through Hurricane Sandy. At least in WA, you'll never have to worry about hurricanes (which doesn't develop on West Coast because the water's too cold).

Renton's a good place with some not so nice parts. The better part of it would be the Eastern portion. A pretty centralized area, generally affordable. Right now, the "Landing" is the up and coming place. Its a newly built shopping area built next to Gene Coulon Beach. You have Boeing down there as well. Lots of apartments around.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,158,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcraver View Post
but I didn't end up going to Port Angles because my boyfriend and I decided we only had time for places that we would potentially actually live in and living so close to the water scared us (after going through hurricane Sandy in retrospect I support our decision even more).

Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Once we move our time won't be limited the way our trip was and we can explore other potential options..including possibly Canada and the view from the photos there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington