Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 AM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know everyone asks a lot of the same questions. However...our family is looking into moving to the Seattle area in July 07. We currently live in the East County of San Diego, CA. Very sick of the desert and we LOVE the weather (cool, gray and wet) in the western Washington area.

We have looked at some rental homes online in the Bonney Lake/Puyallup area and they are really nice. Bonney Lake area is especially pretty.

How are the crime rates and school systems in that area? We have 2 kids who will both be in middle school when we get there, so schools are especially important to me.

As for jobs, we don't mind driving as the traffic in the San Diego area down here is horrific, plus we used to live in LA. My husband is in accounting/financial analyst type work and I can do administrative just about anywhere. Is it possible to find a job ahead of time or is that better done by saving the money to just move with a little cushion and getting the jobs once we get there? I'm open to ideas on that one.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
City data stats for Puyallup are here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Puyallup-Washington.html

Bonney Lake is here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Bonney...ashington.html

Crime is pretty high. Well above the national average. A friend of mine lives in Bonney Lake, and his daughter's car was stolen from a convenience store right in front of her.

Puyallup has grown a lot in the past few years. Most of the downtown area is struggling, while a huge mall, all the chain and box stores, etc., have moved most businesses up the hill. It is urban sprawl at its worst.

Bonney Lake is more rural, but won't be so for long. Several strip malls have moved in and more are on the way. It really isn't as pretty as the online photos make it look. It is growing at such a fast pace, that Bonney Lake is now a series of strip malls, parking lots, office buildings, fast food places, Wal-Mart, etc.

To really get "rural," you need to out at least as far as Enumclaw. It's a nice, little town. It is in "volcano alley" though. Same thing with Orting. When Mt. Rainier wakes up, both Enumclaw and Orting will be gone.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend any of the Seattle/Tacoma area --- especially if you have kids. We moved here 9 years ago, and we're getting out next year. Traffic is terrible. The cost of living is outrageous (though still cheaper than San Diego). Crime is really, really, REALLY bad and getting worse. Gangs are a big problem, and not just in the "bad areas" of town. They're a presence even in middle-class neighborhoods, and they're in nearly all the schools. We have moved three times, trying to get away from it, and it's everywhere.

If you're fairly wealthy, you can probably get away from the worst of it. But if you're hoping to make a living on a middle-class income, then you really don't want to raise your kids here.

If you really want to move to Washington, I'd recommend something out on the peninsula. Maybe Port Angeles or Port Townsend.

The job market was really hot out here a few years ago, but it is really struggling now. I wouldn't move without a job lined up.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info Mark, I appreciate it.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 12,935 times
Smile Say what???

I have never lived in Bonney Lake, but I have lived in Puyallup for the past 6 years and also lived in Graham, WA (not far from Puyallup) for several years as well. Puyallup has a low crime rate, and a well funded school district with good schools and programs. We love puyallup because we are close to all major highways, and have a great transit system to Seattle for those that work there...but yet we are still tucked away like a small town. Our parks, library and down town are beautiful and there are many things to do here. Antique shops, homestyle resturants, and of course the Puyallup Fair! Our Library park often has concerts and events for all ages too! I have 2 young children and they also enjoy the town. Kids parks, ponds with wonderful scenery and ducks, plus we are close to a mall, movie theatres and a very central area! The real estate here is pretty expensive because everyone wants to live here. Our area is still booming in real estate as our home value has increased over $50,000 just in the last 6-8 months. But I bet it is still cheaper than Cali! We used to live in the Monterey, CA area when we first got married, and it was beautiful...but we like the small town feel of Puyallup!

Last edited by LadyHarmsen; 09-14-2006 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Thank you so much for your input LadyHarmsen! I have done quite a bit of research on the area and the more I do, the more I am liking the area. We aren't looking to buy a home so much as rent when we first get up there. But you're right, nothing could be as expensive as the San Diego area, unless you're talking Beverly Hills or the Hamptons, lol.

I know no matter where you live natural disasters are part of life, whether it be earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. However, do the people in the Puyallup area worry about Mt. Rainier? Or do they take it with a grain of salt kind of like we do about earthquakes here in Cali? Just curious more than anything.

Thanks again for your input on the area, I really appreciate it.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
I know no matter where you live natural disasters are part of life, whether it be earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. However, do the people in the Puyallup area worry about Mt. Rainier? Or do they take it with a grain of salt kind of like we do about earthquakes here in Cali? Just curious more than anything.
It's a concern, but people don't really worry about it. If Rainier does ever erupt, most of "lower" Puyallup will be gone, yes. And the upper bit will likely be under a lot of ash.

But it isn't going to be like Pompeii. They have SO much monitoring equipment up on Rainier these days that we will have plenty of warning -- weeks, if not months.

On its geological cycle though, we are overdue for an eruption.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times
Default Comments on Payullup

I have also heard that there is a danger from Mt. Rainier in the Payullup area. Not so much from the volcano, but from the downed trees and snow melt rushing down the rivers from the mountain to the lower areas. But I work in Sacramento and New Orleans was number one for flood risk and guess what is number two????

Seahawksweetie, so glad to know I'm not the only Seahawks fan in CA! I've been a die hard fan since they became a team. I knew if I waited long enough the 49er faithfulls would not be laughing at me! Hope to finally move to an area where I don't have to watch them on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

WA may not be as bad for housing prices soaring as CA. Our house increased about $400,000 in the last year (and we aren't even in the high-cost area).

Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
I have also heard that there is a danger from Mt. Rainier in the Payullup area. Not so much from the volcano, but from the downed trees and snow melt rushing down the rivers from the mountain to the lower areas. But I work in Sacramento and New Orleans was number one for flood risk and guess what is number two????
The big danger from Rainier is the lahar --- a giant river of mud, rock, ash, felled trees, houses, etc.

Depending upon the severity of the eruption and amount of snow on the mountain at the time, volcanologists guess that the lahar may go all the way up the valley and into the Sound, eradicating large parts of Puyallup, all of Orting and Enumclaw, Renton, Seattle, Tacoma, and several other communities.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
having just moved away from Bonney Lake (Lake Tapps) about a year ago, I would recommend living in Puyallup simply because the traffic that goes up and down 410 can be very frustrating (most good stores / restaraunts / entertainment are in Puyallup). Anytime you need to go anywhere, you're going to need to be very patient.

Just thinking about the after work traffic going up the hill (410) to Bonney Lake from Sumner. Sometimes it would take me 30 minutes to get from the bottom of the hill to the lake - lots of wear and tear on your vehicles.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 195,370 times
Default moving to Seattle vicinity in May 2007

read with interest the information given so far on areas like Lake Bonney and Puyallup. I have no idea which city we will live but am flying there in December and plan to check out various aspects. Anyone who can give me input on Bellevue,Puyallup or other cities would be appreciated. I have no young children so schools are not important. Will be renting for at least a year. I have no idea until I get there the location of each city. More than likely my daughter will be working in Seattle and I'm not sure yet where I will look for a job. That will depend on where we rent. We commute now so that isn't an issue. I would like to live in a place with a scenic view. I love the mountains but wonder which cities really aford you a view of the mountain? I'm looking forward to the weather there. I live in an area that has been bombarded by hurricanes the last few years and am quite over it. Also the temperatures here are outrageous and stay high at least 10 months of the year. I get tired of the heat and have no interest in the beaches. Anyway, we're looking forward to making Washington state our new home. But it will be quite a move from Alabama to there so we're a bit nervous about it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington