Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,497 times

Advertisements

In SoCal we don't get many bugs in the house, sometimes a silverfish or two, but in the damp weather of Washington, what types of bugs are often seen inside the houses? Are there poisonous spiders there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM

309 posts, read 365,984 times
Default RE: Bugs?

Here in Western Washington anyway.....we have earwigs, some VERY BIG spiders....sometimes (don't know how poisonous they are) but there ARE some you probably wouldn't want to get bit by!
Giant slugs, snails, etc. moths, skeeters....AND...other critters that are not bugs that would include.....a LOT of RACCOONS, skunks, opossum, deer, coyote, cougars, bears and maybe a Sasquatch or two.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM

Sasquatches and the other critters are cool, it's the buggies that give me the willies

Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM

199 posts, read 1,515,622 times
After living in LA (roaches) and Hawaii (roaches and geckos and centipedes), the thing I love most about Washington is that there are very few bugs. You might get some seasonal mosquitos, which you can control by controlling standing water near your home, but other than that (in the City anyway) we have not had any bug problems.

Spiders come around here and there, mostly in the basement, but haven't been a problem inside.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM

*lol* Yes I remember the bugs in Hawai'i. It made getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom an adventure. Not in a good way! I had a centipede crawl up the back of my leg when I was six...they really give me the willies.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 AM

177 posts, read 848,246 times
The only bugs you need to learn to recognise are brown recluse spiders. The are very poisonous - and you don't want to be bitten by one. Other than that, what few bugs you'll find are harmless.

eileen

Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,834,573 times
There's also houseflys

Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
The only bugs you need to learn to recognise are brown recluse spiders. The are very poisonous - and you don't want to be bitten by one. Other than that, what few bugs you'll find are harmless.

eileen
Recluse Spiders aren't poisonuos. They bite and will leave a nasty mark, but you won't die from one.
Recluse spiders aren't that common in this area anyway, it's their cousin the Hobo Spider that people confuse it for.
HOBO SPIDER WEB SITE

Old 08-20-2007, 05:27 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,859,331 times
I just moved recently from SoCal, and I have to say the bugs we're seeing are crazy.

In our house we've found these things that look like lady bugs, but they're a weird orange color, and not red.

There are some other funky beetle things, too.

There are ants like you wouldn't believe. They are 4-5 times the size of your average CA ant.

We've also found these weird winged ants that are giant. I've killed 4 of those in my house so far.

The houseflies are the size of bumble bees, and are very entertaining to our cats.

We've had a few spiders, but not too many, and none that look that serious.

There seem to be just a lot more bugs here than in CA.

V. =)

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM

424 posts, read 2,699,171 times
I checked out the Hobo Spider Web site and they look really terrible! Are they a big problem in all of Western WA or mainly in the Seattle area? This is the only time I've been glad we have giant house spiders (competitor of the Hobo spider) here in rural NorCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington