Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 65,837 times

Advertisements

Hello Washington Residents!

I currently live in San Diego. There is lots to love here. San Diego has warm beaches, a busy down town, lots of school options, palm trees, public transit runs till midnight, seaworld and the san diego zoo are here. However, the cost of living is very high and so is the unemployment rate (10%). Homes average 600,000 to 800,000 thousand but beach front homes can cost 2 million and up. I know this may sound strange but I dont like the weather. I dont want wrinkles, sun spots, or cancer and avoid the hot sunshine.

I'm really interested in Washington for so many reasons. It started when Money magazine did an article on Seattle saying that even with this economy there is "more jobs then people" in Seattle and the economy there is the "strongest in the nation". Well this is only what caught my attention. The more I researched WA the more I really loved it.

Washington is low on the national disaster scale, has pretty good air quality, has the perfect weather (for me), is gorgeous and lush and green, has everything from beaches to mountains to trees, the unemployment rate is decent, the homes are (not cheap) but more affordable.

Bellevue has been picked twice by CNN as one of the best places to live. Some of the reasons being: job availability, close to lots of restaurants and movie theaters and shopping, high incomes, low income taxes (although the sales tax was high I think). Of course I want to visit before considering moving here but I have to say this is my #1 pick from all I have seen and read.

I have ordered several travel guides and I am planning a trip to come see things in person to see if it's as wonderful in WA as it seems. I know every place has its pros and cons. One of the cons (being that it rains a lot without tons of sunshine) is actually a big pro for me!

Some other places that have made the cut in the last few years as being rated "Best Places to Live" and have caught my eye for various reasons are Mukilteo, Shoreline, Newcastle, and Sammamish. What I have seen and read of these places all seem wonderful. Of course it may be different actually being there which is why Im planning to visit.

To be honest I have never ever really been happy staying in CA (although it does have its pros). I have never been one to lay out at the beach and tan or swim or surf. I hate hot weather and cant wait for summer to end and fall to start every year. I adore rain showers and leaves changing colors and crisp cool winds. I always wish I was closer to nature and waterfalls and trees (places like you see in the movie Twilight!). I love when it rains! Honestly I dont mind rain at all.

I know people will feel inclined to reply to this post with things Im not asking about like "dont move without a job" or "make sure you have thousands of dollars saved up" or "you shouldnt move" and so on. I have already taken all things into consideration and planning and will skip reading any posts that dont relate to what Im actually asking. So my question is, what is the best place to live in WA? What do you love about WA (or hate)? Do you have a favorite place or a city you avoid?

Out of Bellevue, Mukilteo, Shoreline, Newcastle, and Sammamish is there one place you would deem better than the others (based on what I have told you about myself and what Im looking for)? I would really appreciate any residents that are willing to share with me some positive info about where they like living in WA.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your time in reading this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxPerseverexxx View Post
Hello Washington Residents!

I currently live in San Diego. There is lots to love here. San Diego has warm beaches, a busy down town, lots of school options, palm trees, public transit runs till midnight, seaworld and the san diego zoo are here. However, the cost of living is very high and so is the unemployment rate (10%). Homes average 600,000 to 800,000 thousand but beach front homes can cost 2 million and up. I know this may sound strange but I dont like the weather. I dont want wrinkles, sun spots, or cancer and avoid the hot sunshine.

I'm really interested in Washington for so many reasons. It started when Money magazine did an article on Seattle saying that even with this economy there is "more jobs then people" in Seattle and the economy there is the "strongest in the nation". Well this is only what caught my attention. The more I researched WA the more I really loved it.

Washington is low on the national disaster scale, has pretty good air quality, has the perfect weather (for me), is gorgeous and lush and green, has everything from beaches to mountains to trees, the unemployment rate is decent, the homes are (not cheap) but more affordable.
... Hmm, I'd suggest you'd do more on your research. We are due for the "Great Earthquake"... parts of WA has to set up Tsunami warning and are not well prepared. We have 5 active volcanos... and Mt. Rainier is due to blow soon as well. Flooding is also an issue. I mean, all these are possibilities... but I personally am not confident in our government handling.

Our employment is slightless than SD's.

Quote:

Bellevue has been picked twice by CNN as one of the best places to live. Some of the reasons being: job availability, close to lots of restaurants and movie theaters and shopping, high incomes, low income taxes (although the sales tax was high I think).
We have no income tax. Of course, our sales tax is high. And there is no cap on property taxes (even though one was set up, a judge has gutted it).

Quote:
Of course I want to visit before considering moving here but I have to say this is my #1 pick from all I have seen and read.

I have ordered several travel guides and I am planning a trip to come see things in person to see if it's as wonderful in WA as it seems. I know every place has its pros and cons. One of the cons (being that it rains a lot without tons of sunshine) is actually a big pro for me!

Some other places that have made the cut in the last few years as being rated "Best Places to Live" and have caught my eye for various reasons are Mukilteo, Shoreline, Newcastle, and Sammamish. What I have seen and read of these places all seem wonderful. Of course it may be different actually being there which is why Im planning to visit.

To be honest I have never ever really been happy staying in CA (although it does have its pros). I have never been one to lay out at the beach and tan or swim or surf. I hate hot weather and cant wait for summer to end and fall to start every year. I adore rain showers and leaves changing colors and crisp cool winds. I always wish I was closer to nature and waterfalls and trees (places like you see in the movie Twilight!). I love when it rains! Honestly I dont mind rain at all.
Sadly... Twilight wasn't filmed in WA. This is the evergreen state, if you're expecting foliage-- don't expect too much.

Quote:
I know people will feel inclined to reply to this post with things Im not asking about like "dont move without a job" or "make sure you have thousands of dollars saved up" or "you shouldnt move" and so on. I have already taken all things into consideration and planning and will skip reading any posts that dont relate to what Im actually asking. So my question is, what is the best place to live in WA? What do you love about WA (or hate)? Do you have a favorite place or a city you avoid?

Out of Bellevue, Mukilteo, Shoreline, Newcastle, and Sammamish is there one place you would deem better than the others (based on what I have told you about myself and what Im looking for)? I would really appreciate any residents that are willing to share with me some positive info about where they like living in WA.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your time in reading this post.
I've lived in Bellevue a long time. I love it. One thing I don't love about is 405... traffic sucks during the commuter hours. Shoreline... by the beach is very pretty; by hwy 99, not so much. Newcastle is tucked away, lots of new McMansions built. Mukilteo... too hilly for my taste-- Seattle area is very hilly, but Mukilteo even more so-- come wintery season (which doesn't always come every year), it'll suck to be on that hill.

Honestly, I would point out the other side of Puget Sound (out of personal preference)... Bremerton, Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo et. c. Very easy ferry access to Seattle, less traffic.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Thank you for sharing your advice. I was aware of the flooding issue. If you check out the FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency website you will still find that CA is ranked #2 in number of national disasters (right under TX as #1) while WA is ranked #20 on the list. So while WA does have more natural disasters than say UT, it still has far less than CA. So Washing is still upgrading in that respect. Traffic also is bad here in CA so I will be used to it. I have lived in L.A. before. Hmmmm where was Twilight filmed? I was on a Washington tour website that had a whole page dedicated to the filming of twilight. I wonder why if none of the movie was filmed there. Im not a huge Twilight movie fan but the lush green in the movie is lovely and I would just love to be living in a place like that.

Last edited by xxxPerseverexxx; 09-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm where was Twilight filmed? I was on a Washington tour website that had a whole page dedicated to the filming of twilight. I wonder why if none of the movie was filmed there. Im not a huge Twilight movie fan but the lush green in the movie is lovely and I would just love to be living in a place like that.
Primarily in Portland OR area. The High school was in Kalama, WA and Portland, OR as well. As stated many times in the Forks thread there is nothing in Forks.

I should point out a lot of people still find WA to be, by far, a prettier state than OR. I mean, we have all kinds of environments: Deserts, rain forests, plains... et. c. We love our nature access; so it's very hiking oriented.

There's lots of activities for a physically active person-- for most part, there's nothing that can't be done here. There's lots of activities for an introverted persons to do, there's always a fireplace in the bookstore or at the food court to keep you warm. Great sights to check out and such. Our party scene isn't really on the par as ... LV, LA and such, but its on a smaller scale.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Primarily in Portland OR area. The High school was in Kalama, WA and Portland, OR as well. As stated many times in the Forks thread there is nothing in Forks.

I should point out a lot of people still find WA to be, by far, a prettier state than OR. I mean, we have all kinds of environments: Deserts, rain forests, plains... et. c. We love our nature access; so it's very hiking oriented.

There's lots of activities for a physically active person-- for most part, there's nothing that can't be done here. There's lots of activities for an introverted persons to do, there's always a fireplace in the bookstore or at the food court to keep you warm. Great sights to check out and such. Our party scene isn't really on the par as ... LV, LA and such, but its on a smaller scale.
From what I understand, they did a a lot of filming of the last two Twilight movies in the Vancouver BC Canada area. And, despite the fact that people assume that I'm an old geezer ( I am), and an intellectual ( I'm not, but I could play one on TV) I really loved the Twilight movies. Go Team Jacob!
Travel | Map of Twilight movie locations in Vancouver, B.C. | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
As Inkpoe said, we are well overdue here for "the big one." Though I've heard similar stories about California being overdue for something similar. The only thing here is that we get subduction quakes, and from what I understand, these are more devastating than other kinds of quakes, and can set off large tsunamis. There are SEVERAL fault lines all over the place, including one that runs right underneath Downtown Seattle. If that one goes we're all screwed. Not to mention the volcanism here.

However Washington State is BEAUTIFUL and the threat of natural disaster should not keep you away. Honestly, no matter where you go anywhere in this world, the threat of natural disaster of some kind will always be there.

Inkpoe's recommended town of Poulsbo is gorgeous. So are other surrounding areas.

May I also suggest Whidbey Island. The south end of the island is a very short ferry ride away form Mulkilteo, and the northern end around Oak Harbor, the island's largest town, is close to Anacortes on Fidalgo Island, via the Deception Pass Bridge (gorgeous area!) between Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island. Fidalgo Island is in turn connected by bridge to the mainland, making Burlington, Mt. Vernon, and La Conner easily accessible, as well as Interstate 5. Whidbey Island is very narrow, but verrrrrrry long. The highway from Clinton (where the ferry to Mukilteo is near the island's southern end) to the northern end at Deception Pass is nearly 50 miles in length, but at some places along the highway it is possible to look and see water on each side of the island. Most of the middle of the island is less than 2 miles wide.

Anacortes is also the gateway to the San Juans. A ferry takes you there. Once you go there (The San Juan Islands), you're never going to want to leave.

King County has the highest taxes all around. Steer clear if you can.

Just about everywhere is expensive though. Some places more than others. Come on up for a couple of weeks and just tour around, see what feels right for you.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... Hmm, I'd suggest you'd do more on your research. We are due for the "Great Earthquake"... parts of WA has to set up Tsunami warning and are not well prepared. We have 5 active volcanos... and Mt. Rainier is due to blow soon as well.
Mt. Rainier is "due"? Link?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
The below link just essentially says it's not any more likely to erupt now than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Rainier Eruption Odds Low, Impact High, Expert Says

But, I've heard most of my life that it's "due". I guess in a sense you can say it is. It's not a dead volcano. Since it's not dead, it's not really a matter of IF it's going to blow or erupt, just when. Article I find online can't even agree on the last time it erupted. The one above said "first half of the 19th century" but other articles I've seen say 1879.

Good odds it'll be ugly when it does. I believe it's been responsible for the largest known mudflow in history.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Thank you for sharing all the good input. Can you tell me more, what is a subduction quake? How is it different than CA earthquakes? Like it was mentioned, I think any of the states could be hit by something big al of a sudden, at anytime. And if I go suddenly in a big blast thats okay. I just dont want to live in constant fear of big problems that happen all the time. You know? Like having to run to the basement and hide from tornadoes or something like that. CA has a lot of earth quakes and recently big ones in the San Diego/Mexico area. We also have lots of fires and floods every year. According to FEMA we are #2 in national declaired disasters. But this could be in part to how large of a state CA really is.

I read a lot of people saying that they want to leave WA due to the gray days or rain. Its funny because thats one of my favorite things about it. I love overcast days and when I dont have to hide behind huge sunglasses and sunscreen. I always run hot and need to run my air conditioning all the time and thats expensive. In the winter I never run the heat because I like the cold. But I have never lived somewhere really cold before either.

I cant wait to visit. OR is great too. I looked at OR before I looked into WA actually. But WA seems more beautiful. I could be wrong but I got the vibe OR is just more laid back and WA is more about business. I like the active economy that I read WA has.

My mom just loves Twilight so I have seen the movies with her. She is team Edward. Im Team Jacob.

Thank you guys for all you have shared so far. I hope you will continue to respond in letting me know which places in WA are best and where I should explore.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Were you educated in WA? I mean, the 12 years I attended school in every science class, we *had* to hear that. Here in Seattle, it'll be mention in the paper about the big one and effects of Mt. Rainier and/or earthquake once in awhile

Subduction earthquake is a much deeper one. (California's is more of a surface types.)

Washington's Coast: Hazards - Offshore Fault Zone

Also, OP, you should definitely visit Leavenworth, they're going to be having Oktoberest soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington