Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM

92 posts, read 218,127 times

Advertisements

Hello All. Question for everyone on the pros/cons of living on Whidbey Island. My wife has a job potential in Coupeville that pays 55K and I have one with Boeing in Everett which would be double that (or so). We have 3 kids so our first concern is the quality of schools there. The work arrangement would be - wife works on the island and is available for kids during the day, I walk on the ferry and ride the bus to Boeing which would theoretically be about a 40 minute commute. On paper it looks good - decent commute, small town that is supposedly in the rain shadow, a little bit cheaper housing than Seattle.

This all started when my wife and I recently took a family trip back to Seattle after leaving the area 14 years ago and developed a serious itch to move back. We live in the Midwest now near our families but our trip made us realize how much we miss the PNW and friends we have in the area.

After 10 years in Seattle, we moved back to the Midwest to be near our families but frankly that is the only thing keeping us here. You can't beat the Midwest for cheap housing, sunshine and good schools but - boring, boring, boring, especially if you love outdoor activities. Plus, we realized after our trip out there that we actually have a wider social network in Seattle than here. People in the town we live in already have their friends and family is usually nearby so we've never seen much of that Midwest openness. It is very strange to me as I have an outgoing personality, am from the MW and can't seem to "break in" to the social circles like I did out there.

We would miss our parents but aren't that close to the rest of kin. I know the downside to the PNW having lived there for awhile and it sounds like Whidbey might alleviate some of that. Or maybe this is just wishful thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM

169 posts, read 764,608 times
Good Morning!
Let me start by saying there is no way you can commute to Boeing in 40 minutes from Coupeville. Coupeville is a good 40 minutes just to the ferry. Then, depending on the ferry schedule, you have another 20-25 minutes on the ferry. Then you need to take the Boeing bus and that is another 20-25 minutes. In my opinion it would be terrible living in Coupeville and working at Boeing. Obviously, it can be done, but, why do that? You could live in Clinton, and make it much more doable. The so called rain shadow over Whidbey has slowly made its way off island. Last winter we had horrific storms, power outages for days, and many, many rainy, dreary days. I would really investigate before you move. You have all the power right now, don't move until you explore everywhere.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM

92 posts, read 218,127 times
Thanks for the reply, AlwaysSmiling. I started thinking about it and if the commute was actually that short, alot more people would be living on the Island. I based everything off the bus schedule and the ferry ride I took when I was out there. But of course, taking that route during rush hour won't be the same. Too bad about the rain shadow moving. I'm sure it's not as consistent like it is for Sequim since Coupeville is further away from the Olympics.

Like you said I have the power now and there are other options to consider. Clinton or even Mukilteo would be better for commutes. This would give more job options for me and my wife as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM

169 posts, read 764,608 times
You are most welcome. Mukilteo is very nice, and still in the real world. Clinton gives you a rural life, but still able to walk onto the ferry, which is a better commute for you. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 30,361 times
Default Moving to South Whidbey Island

Anyone live there that can give me the pros and cons about moving back to Washington ?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,724 times
Scorpio2, here is another idea. My husband (and son) work at Paine Field and commute from Mount Vernon. They're on different shifts. Coupeville and Everett I don't think are quite equi-distant but I did have a client once whose wife was in school in Seattle and he was at the Naval Air Station in Oak Harbor and they wanted to live in Mount Vernon. It does away with the ferry ride which in bad weather would be a blessing.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM

223 posts, read 1,274,888 times
The Mt Vernon/Coupeville commute would be "iffy". It would be about 45 minutes each way under ideal circumstances, but Hwy 20 is two lanes from Anacortes to Oak Harbor with no place to pass. One accident and you could be really late to work. Personally, I'd me more inclined to live somewhere closer to Clinton on the south end of the island. This would give you easy access to Mukilteo and points south via ferry and a reasonably short drive to Coupeville. That said, any time you're a slave to the ferry schedule, it is inevitably going to become a PITA at some point during the summer.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 28,910 times
Default While we are on the subject of Island living

Hello,

I happened upon this site because I was trying to find information regarding public transporation schedules on Whidbey Island. Always Smiling - can you help me out with a helpful site? Is there a car rental agency on the island? I, too, am considering a move to Whidbey (the Green Bank area) from California. I want to visit in early February, and would appreciate any and all suggestions regarding reasonable (very) places to stay, car rentals (on island) and/or public transportation. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 41,002 times
Default whidbey

I live in Oak Harbor and know of quite a few people who make the trip to Boeing to work each day. There are many vanpools where people do the park and ride so I'm sure you would be able to find someone to share the commute. I don't have any kids, but I've heard that Coupeville's schools are a little better than Oak Harbor. It's beautiful here, but if you're looking for activities, you have to drive a distance. I'm from the midwest, so if you like the heat, you won't find it here. As far as rain, we just had 28 rain-free days.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 27,015 times
My husband is in the navy and we are thinking about taking orders on whidbey island... at ault field. We would like to buy a home probably in oak harbor since it's the closest to the base. Where is the best place to live on whidbey? Is it really true that it rains only 20-25 inches per year in north whidbey? How is crime on whidbey?

I am an occupational therapists and will need a job. Are there any hospitals known for their rehab department on whidbey?

Please feel free to include any information about whidbey island. I have tried to do some research but am not finding much besides the whidbey/camano islands website. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington