Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM

16 posts, read 34,546 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tacoma in just a few weeks and I'm very excited! Could you tell me your favorite things about this city? (Your favorite malls, parks, stores, movie theaters, churches, festivals, local restaurants, etc) I'll most likely be in the Proctor, University Park, or Ruston area. Thanks! I'm looking forward to exploring your wonderful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,589,198 times
We used to live off N 26th and N. Alder and loved it. There's a farmers market in Procter (can't remember when) that is pretty cool. Also if you have kids, there is a cool park at N. 9th and Proctor. They have a wading pool and fountains for the warm days. Puget park is cool too, it has some trails that go back into the woods. Of course, Pt. Defiance is awesome. 6th Ave is kind of funky. There are some cool areas to check out on Ruston Way also.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ruston area though, it seems kind of run down to me. I'm a completely unqualified person to speak on the area though as I don't know much about it.

There's also a really cool beach in Steilacoom too.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 AM

238 posts, read 866,933 times
Things I like about Tacoma:
Friendly people
Easy to get around the city. You don't need the freeway and you can pretty much get to any point in the city in 15 minutes.
The Parks: Point Defiance, Wright Park, Ruston Way and Chambers Bay
Great Restaurants: Pacific Grill, Asado and great little spots like Quickie Too & Puget Sound Pizza
Clean and safe Downtown: It may not be the retail mecca but there are lots of cool shops, bars, restaurants, cafes, museums and more.
Great Independent Theater, The Grand Cinema in Downtown. It has THE BEST movies.
Lots of neighborhoods to explore: Lincoln International District is a favorite with lots of restaurants and shops.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,371,216 times
The Grand Theatre at 6th and Fawcett is a co-operatively owned art theatre that shows interesting movies. The Blue Mouse Theatre in the Proctor District is an independantly owned theatre also a fun place to go. The Proctor Farmers market is cool....Point Defiance is a wonderful park, which also houses the zoo and the aquarium. The Art Museum in downtown Tacoma is nice, as is the history museum and the glass museum. Old Town is a nice area to walk around in, as is the Stadium district.
Cheney Stadium houses the minor league (AAA) affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, the Tacoma Rainiers, and is a great place to watch baseball.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,086,545 times
Talking Salmon Beach. Landslides and all !

The place looks way different now about 40 years later but Salmon Beach is a very unique part of Tacoma.
I took this picture with an old Argus Camera with the flip up view screen.
I think there are about 100 cabins down there but most are all built up and high $ now. You can not drive there, access is by stairs, trail or boat.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TEdBgg_xhXI/AAAAAAAACEU/Er8LvQUsWvw/s512/Old%20salmon%20Beach%2060%20%26%2061.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM

238 posts, read 866,933 times
Oh and I forgot... Beautiful Architecture! Great old houses dating from the 1880's. Downtown is full of amazing old building with a great history. You should read up on the history of Tacoma it is pretty interesting.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 34,546 times
Thanks everyone! I will definitely check out your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington