Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 84,044 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've got my final job offer lined up, and I've finally decided on moving somewhere within Arlington, VA. I've taken a look around the Crystal/Pentagon City area, and have found a host of relatively cheap (compared to D.C. proper) apartments that are located around Metro Stops (I won't have a car).

But, I'm also a little more curious about the Orange Line side of VA. I've only heard of areas like Rosslyn, Court House, Ballston, etc. by name, and heard many young professionals live in those areas too. I was hoping some of y'all could give me some insight into those areas, especially compared to the Crystal City/Pentagon City area.

Things I'm considering:
Safety
Apartment prices
Proximity to other young professionals (I don't care if there's no real "nightlife" in the area I'm living though; D.C. proper is a relatively short Metro Ride Away)
Proximity to a Metro Rail (No car); I don't wouldn't want to live too far out on the Orange Line, as I want a short work commute).
Proximity to Grocery stores, gyms, etc.
Any other factoids y'all have to throw in.

Any help on comparing these 2 general areas is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochefort View Post
Hey all,

I've got my final job offer lined up, and I've finally decided on moving somewhere within Arlington, VA. I've taken a look around the Crystal/Pentagon City area, and have found a host of relatively cheap (compared to D.C. proper) apartments that are located around Metro Stops (I won't have a car).

But, I'm also a little more curious about the Orange Line side of VA. I've only heard of areas like Rosslyn, Court House, Ballston, etc. by name, and heard many young professionals live in those areas too. I was hoping some of y'all could give me some insight into those areas, especially compared to the Crystal City/Pentagon City area.

Things I'm considering:
Safety
Apartment prices
Proximity to other young professionals (I don't care if there's no real "nightlife" in the area I'm living though; D.C. proper is a relatively short Metro Ride Away)
Proximity to a Metro Rail (No car); I don't wouldn't want to live too far out on the Orange Line, as I want a short work commute).
Proximity to Grocery stores, gyms, etc.
Any other factoids y'all have to throw in.

Any help on comparing these 2 general areas is greatly appreciated!
Ballston or Courthouse would be two I'd pick for you.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Ballston or Courthouse would be two I'd pick for you.
I was doing some apartment searches there, and it seems that they're typically a few hundred (~$200) more per month than the Crystal City area. I'm assuming that those parts of Arlington are a bit more expensive then, is that correct?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
All of those areas are good, though North Arlington tends to be more popular. Pentagon City and Crystal City are a little quieter and have fewer bar options, but it's not a dead area. I know some people who grew up in the western suburbs (Fairfax, McLean) who like to say that Pentagon City is a bad area, but for the life of me I can't tell you why they say that.

Of the North Arlington strip, Ballston tends to be a bit cheaper since it's the furthest one out. Clarendon and Courthouse have a lot of bars, and are a little pricier. Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Rosslyn all have 2 Metro lines (blue/yellow for Pentagon City and Crystal City, blue/orange for Rosslyn), which is really nice. If one line is screwed up you can try for the other one.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
I've lived in both ares. I liked the Ballston area, but the Orange line is becoming a bottleneck. Crystal City has better commuting options, especially with the Yellow line with direct route into downtown DC. Other than that both areas are actually very similar. CC's reputation as a boring area is based on the past, much has changed in the last 2-3 years. There is a nightlife, particularly on 23d street, and the local Chamber of Commerce has been doing a good job of sponsoring public events.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
There's more stuff in the Ballston/Courthouse area, but I think it will cost a bit more. Don't forget, the commute to DC is longer from the other areas you are considering if you are taking the metro into DC, but not that much longer..

Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks for even more of the additional information! Crystal City has been edging out the Ballston area. The difference in commute times seems rather insignificant, so when it comes down to it, Crystal City is cheaper. Though, it is nice to have 2 rails running through the Metro Stop versus just the Orange line in Ballston.

By any chance, can anyone speak of the availability of grocery stores/Target-esque stores/gyms in each area? Without a car, I'm hoping to actually live within walking distance of such shops (in other words, I really don't want to have to take a bus). It seems that Ballston might be a little more convenient in those terms, but any insight is appreciated.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Crystal City doesn't have great walkable options for grocery store/Target-type places. Actually, Arlington doesn't have any Target-type places located in its boundaries. The closest Target is just over the Alexandria border and you'd have to bus or do a really long walk. Alternatively, there is a Metro-accessible Target in Columbia Heights.

The closest grocery stores to Crystal City are the Harris Teeter in Pentagon City and the Harris Teeter down Route 1, both probably about a 20 minute walk from Crystal City Metro or more or less depending on what part of Crystal City you're coming from.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:51 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times
I just moved to Crystal City from California. While it is not as exciting as Clarendon or DC, I think it's a great place to live. First, I feel incredibly safe walking around at all hours of the night, even stumbling home from the metro after a night of bar hopping. Outside of rush hour, it's pretty quiet with no major street traffic, but there's just enough noise in the background to make you feel like you're in the city. I can walk to several restaurants, coffee houses, and CVS. Harris Teeter, Shoppers, Target, Staples, PetsMart, Old Navy, and Regal Cinemas are all within a <2 mile drive. It's a breeze to walk to the metro and hop on the Yellow or Blue lines into DC, which pretty much get me anywhere I want to go without any transfer (Dupont Circle being the big exception). Overall, I think it's a great place to live. While Crystal City lacks the DC vibe, you'll save a lot of money (rent, taxes, and insurance are lower here than in DC) and you're just a short 15 minute metro ride from all the action.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I think it's definitely worth the savings to go Crystal City then. If you don't mind me asking RyanZ (or anyone else who is familiar with the area/living in the area), what's a good price range for a 1 bedroom apartment in Crystal City which is within walkable distance to a metro? I just want to make sure I'm not getting swindled. To further cut on costs, a good friend of mine is going to split the apartment with me.

Any specific apartment recommendations can't hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC