Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,615 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find a position with a NPO specifically in youth advocacy or educational issues in D.C. Anyone have recommendations on how to best acheive this? Any recommendations on websites that could be used for the job search?

Also, while I am at it, any "affordable" advice for rent?

My brotehr has recevied a new position and I am moving with him blindly, so any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:57 PM

188 posts, read 670,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjphoenix00 View Post
Also, while I am at it, any "affordable" advice for rent?
Please post more info, what is affordable to you? What level of safety are you looking for?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

I am looking to spend between 1200 and 1300 a month....and I would like to feel reasonably safe. I am arriving from Nashville, which is a very friendly, safe city. A low crime rate would be nice. Would you recommend VA? How do people commute into or around the city when they live in VA and surrounding cities?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM

136 posts, read 578,649 times
The best non-profit job search site is Idealist. I think that you should figure out where you are going to work before you decide on a place to live. Are you living with your brother? Where is he going to work?

We choose our neighborhood because my husband wanted to walk to work. It just happened that his office was in a very affordable part of the district.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I will be living with my brother, and he will be working in Tyson's Corner.......Where would you recommend?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM

136 posts, read 578,649 times
I am not much of an authority on the suburbs. We live in the District... to me Tyson's Corner is pretty far out there but I am sure there are people who feel it is not.

In any event, I would probably live in Tyson's Corner or nearby if I was your brother.

For you, I would live with your brother at first and if you get a job then move closer to where you are working.

That is just me. I absolutely refuse to spend a significant chunk of my day commuting so someplace close to work is a priority.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
Just sort of an FYI--non profit jobs in DC have far more applicants than available positions. Many folks work for free just to get their foot in the door. It's highly competitive (more so than you might imagine). The Post had a good article about it recently.

Fulfillment Elusive for Young Altruists In the Crowded Field of Public Interest - washingtonpost.com

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,057,937 times
are you looking to spend $1200-1300 yourself? Or is that the expected combined rent for a 2 bedroom place? That makes a huge difference. If it's the latter, you'll be struggling to find a decent place that's both close to Tyson's corner and offers reasonable access to the city where most of the NPOs are. There's also a fair amount of NPOs in Old Town Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Rockville/Bethesda but that won't help you much more than DC as far as living location. There's a few in the Fairfax area that might be helpful but by that point you're really limiting yourself. How much time are you willing to spend commuting? How much is your brother willing to spend?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM

44 posts, read 158,375 times
If you stay with your brother, how long will he let you live with him? Are you obligated to pay rent immediately? A good plan might be to start out with him, look for a job, become familiar with the area, get a job, and then move into your own place based on where your job is located and what kind of commute you can tolerate. You should be aware that the Tyson's Corner area is EXTREMELY congested during am and pm rush hour. You will almost certainly want to take the bus to either the Dunn Loring metro or the West Falls Church metro (depending on where he lives) and take the train downtown or to Alexandria or Silver Spring to interview with nonprofits. Competition is fierce in the nonprofit world right now for whatever few jobs have not been cut due to the tough economic times. You might have to be willing to work long hours for ridiculously low wages. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC