Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

DC: better lifestyle, hospitality industry, education, tourist business, promising career, dishwasher

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 19,896 times

Advertisements

Dear forum Users,
I have a 14 month old daughter and 2 month old son. me and my wife are 26 and we live in Sothern Florida. I work in hospitality industry and do not like it. I have no time for family and education and normal life as I have to work 16 hours a day for 6 days to pay the rent, food and other needs. Our rent is 1500 for one bedroom before utilities. I am going insane and our family relationship is falling apart, as the days go, for not communicating much. I see my kids for about 1 hour a day not sleeping. On my day off I sleep nearly half day because I get tired so bad.... Decided to move to DC.... have couple friends there and would like to try get back on track with education and better life style... (I live in the island now) I guess this part is the most important now... We, me and my wife are here illegally... we overstayed our tourist visa and have no intention to go back unless we get our LPR status. (we from Central Asian region ) kids born in the States. Down here, in the South I can work at the hotels restraunts and other tourist oriented businesses.... but I hate it already and ready to move on.... I will have around 5K with me when I move in two month.... I have no job waiting for me there and no promising carrier. I just want to have good life with my family and will do anything to brighten my future up. I can even become a dishwasher for begining to stand up on my feet. I feel myself so down and deppressed here. If it wasn't poverty and poor living with corruption in our lands I would never ever choose immigrant life...BUT since I am here I should start making it happen instead of feeling down and crying.........
Any suggestions and replies on if I can make it there? What could I do? Will it worth it? can we make it there? will I be able to find a job and I try to get my MA (I have BA degree in Journalism from my own country) will be appriciated. Thank you very much in Advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
You'll probably find that things are as or more expensive here than in Florida. There are a lot of jobs, and there are plenty of educational opportunities. If you indeed have friends here, they can show you some of the ropes and help you make some important contacts. But you will be haunted by the illegal thing until you can get that cleared up. You won't ever have anything firm to stand on until that's gone away. There are resources here (as there likely are in Florida) that can assist and advise, and for your kids' sake (I'm sure they look forward to having a father as much as you look forward to being one), you should really put your focus on finding a workable path out of that situation. After that, the rest should fall into place in DC just fine. Before that, it will continue to be a battle, I'm afraid...

Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Thank you very much for advice I do have a plan and vision that I can clear illegal part of my story up around 2 to 3 month and will defenetly start building good future. I am very well aware it might be long work days and nights but i am a men with family and responsibility. What do you think, at the end will it worth to move to DC ? and you think it will be more expensive than Key west???

Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I'm actually surprised that a one bedroom apartment costs $1500/month without utilities down in Florida. I'm not too familiar with Key West and I know that costs have been increasing recently in Florida, but $1500 for a one bedroom seems a bit much. In the DC area, which is generally regarded as an expensive area to live in, you can find perfectly decent apartments in the suburbs (not the city...so you'd need a car), for $1000/month without utilities, but if you want to live in a nicer area, or one within DC proper and in a safe community, you should expect at least $1300/month.

My advice would be to come to the DC area. Employment opportunities are MUCH greater here. Key West is a city of what, 25,000 or so, separated by a few hours from mainland Florida? The DC area is a large metropolitan area home to over five million people, sprawling out in every which direction. As such, there is such a wide, diverse economy here. Due to your immigration status, you will indeed find it difficult to find well-paying professional jobs, but there are plenty of low-level jobs here where employers will look the other way at your immigration status. There's you standard fare of construction workers, landscapers, house painters, dishwashers, housekeepers, pizza delivery men, etc.

The question of course arises as to what it is that you're seeking out that you think you'll find in DC that you won't find in Key West. It seems the main issue you're facing is having to work constantly in order to make ends meet. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to change much regardless of where you go. Given your situation, first as someone without the proper immigration papers to secure high-paying employment, and second, as the only working parents, responsible for financially providing for yourself, your wife, and your child; things are going be rough whichever way you cut it. If you have friends in the DC area, perhaps that may make things a bit easier if loneliness is an issue. They may also be able to steer you towards better employment or give you tips on various social services that you can take advantage of. So I'm not sure if the main culprit to your unhappiness, that of the long working hours and low pay, will be solved by moving anywhere really, but at least in living in the DC area, you'll have far more opportunities than you would in Key West.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm actually surprised that a one bedroom apartment costs $1500/month without utilities down in Florida. I'm not too familiar with Key West and I know that costs have been increasing recently in Florida, but $1500 for a one bedroom seems a bit much. In the DC area, which is generally regarded as an expensive area to live in, you can find perfectly decent apartments in the suburbs (not the city...so you'd need a car), for $1000/month without utilities, but if you want to live in a nicer area, or one within DC proper and in a safe community, you should expect at least $1300/month.

My advice would be to come to the DC area. Employment opportunities are MUCH greater here. Key West is a city of what, 25,000 or so, separated by a few hours from mainland Florida? The DC area is a large metropolitan area home to over five million people, sprawling out in every which direction. As such, there is such a wide, diverse economy here. Due to your immigration status, you will indeed find it difficult to find well-paying professional jobs, but there are plenty of low-level jobs here where employers will look the other way at your immigration status. There's you standard fare of construction workers, landscapers, house painters, dishwashers, housekeepers, pizza delivery men, etc.

The question of course arises as to what it is that you're seeking out that you think you'll find in DC that you won't find in Key West. It seems the main issue you're facing is having to work constantly in order to make ends meet. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to change much regardless of where you go. Given your situation, first as someone without the proper immigration papers to secure high-paying employment, and second, as the only working parents, responsible for financially providing for yourself, your wife, and your child; things are going be rough whichever way you cut it. If you have friends in the DC area, perhaps that may make things a bit easier if loneliness is an issue. They may also be able to steer you towards better employment or give you tips on various social services that you can take advantage of. So I'm not sure if the main culprit to your unhappiness, that of the long working hours and low pay, will be solved by moving anywhere really, but at least in living in the DC area, you'll have far more opportunities than you would in Key West.

Thank you for you reply. Loneliness is not a problem since I have tons of friends here in key west as well. Most of the friends work 2 jobs and barely have time to hang out but still I have more people around me than I would have in DC. here in Key west I do not have an access to education. small island full of drugs and alcohol wrong, wrong place with family. I would like to continue my education and try to find jobs with NGO's focused to Central Asian countries... Another thing with status... I could start immigration case here in key west but for that I have to travel at least 4-5 times to miami which is $300 trip minimum every time I go ( day off from jobs rent a car food etc.) vs. in DC I could take a metro for about 2 to 3 hours to each visit.
I am not afraid from work but in the end I too want to live like a normal person with weekends off and overtime pay and paid vacations and Health insurance. I want to take my family out to picnic at least once a month and play with kids at the parks and go to the zoo with them here in Key west None of them happening...

Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istan View Post
Thank you for you reply. Loneliness is not a problem since I have tons of friends here in key west as well. Most of the friends work 2 jobs and barely have time to hang out but still I have more people around me than I would have in DC. here in Key west I do not have an access to education. small island full of drugs and alcohol wrong, wrong place with family. I would like to continue my education and try to find jobs with NGO's focused to Central Asian countries... Another thing with status... I could start immigration case here in key west but for that I have to travel at least 4-5 times to miami which is $300 trip minimum every time I go ( day off from jobs rent a car food etc.) vs. in DC I could take a metro for about 2 to 3 hours to each visit.
I am not afraid from work but in the end I too want to live like a normal person with weekends off and overtime pay and paid vacations and Health insurance. I want to take my family out to picnic at least once a month and play with kids at the parks and go to the zoo with them here in Key west None of them happening...
The life of a new immigrant is very difficult, especially if you lack the proper papers and ESPECIALLY if you have a family to support; so unfortunately, you have a rough road ahead of you any way you cut it, at least for awhile. It takes many immigrants several years of working 2-3 jobs, staying in cramped apartments and with little to no social life, before they're able to get a piece of the American dream (whether that be home ownership, or just something more basic like job security or being able to get by working just ONE job), and many of them don't have some of the added constraints that you do, largely in having a wife and child with you to support in this country (many have families in their home countries that they send cash back to, but it takes much less of their paycheck to support two people abroad than it does here). You will probably be struggling in DC just as you would in Key West so far as working long hours and not having time to socialize with friends. It's just an unfortunate reality. However, DC does offer a better future than Key West just due to the sheer volume of work available and the number of places available to continue your education. Key West definitely is not a good place for someone who is in your situation.

Obtaining a job with an NGO will be very difficult without the proper papers. If you can get your Immigration status sorted out, then that will open up many doors. I'm not sure what country you are from (I'm guessing from your name, one of the "-stans"), but there is not a large Central Asian community in the DC area, although there is a surprisingly sizable Mongolian community in Arlington. However, due to it being the nation's capital, with embassies from every country and NGOs serving them, there is at the very least a tiny community from each and every country here which will probably serve you well. Fellow countrymen are more likely to help one another and give them a leg up on a job. You're already a step above many illegal immigrants in the sense that you have a Bachelors degree and that you also obviously speak English very well, so really it's just a matter of getting the proper papers which may take some time and money but will be worth it in the end.

One thing I noticed; you mentioned renting a car, so I'm assuming that means you currently do not have one. That may present itself as a bit of a problem. There is decent public transport in the DC area, but unless you live in DC proper, it's really advisable in my mind to come here with a car or to consider buying one. You can survive in other parts of the metro area too without one, and the bus service here is fairly widespread, but on a day to day basis, unless living in DC or a handful of inner suburbs, living without a car will be quite a nuisance. It's more expensive to live in DC itself, but for job, transporation and networking prospects, as well as dealing with immigration issues, it may be worth it.

It will definitely be an adjustment moving to the DC area. In terms of climate, people, culture, economy, architecture, etc. it has little resemblance to Key West. But for your and your family's future, I think it would definitely serve you better to relocate to the area. DC offers more hope of a better future.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The life of a new immigrant is very difficult, especially if you lack the proper papers and ESPECIALLY if you have a family to support; so unfortunately, you have a rough road ahead of you any way you cut it, at least for awhile. It takes many immigrants several years of working 2-3 jobs, staying in cramped apartments and with little to no social life, before they're able to get a piece of the American dream (whether that be home ownership, or just something more basic like job security or being able to get by working just ONE job), and many of them don't have some of the added constraints that you do, largely in having a wife and child with you to support in this country (many have families in their home countries that they send cash back to, but it takes much less of their paycheck to support two people abroad than it does here). You will probably be struggling in DC just as you would in Key West so far as working long hours and not having time to socialize with friends. It's just an unfortunate reality. However, DC does offer a better future than Key West just due to the sheer volume of work available and the number of places available to continue your education. Key West definitely is not a good place for someone who is in your situation.

Obtaining a job with an NGO will be very difficult without the proper papers. If you can get your Immigration status sorted out, then that will open up many doors. I'm not sure what country you are from (I'm guessing from your name, one of the "-stans"), but there is not a large Central Asian community in the DC area, although there is a surprisingly sizable Mongolian community in Arlington. However, due to it being the nation's capital, with embassies from every country and NGOs serving them, there is at the very least a tiny community from each and every country here which will probably serve you well. Fellow countrymen are more likely to help one another and give them a leg up on a job. You're already a step above many illegal immigrants in the sense that you have a Bachelors degree and that you also obviously speak English very well, so really it's just a matter of getting the proper papers which may take some time and money but will be worth it in the end.

One thing I noticed; you mentioned renting a car, so I'm assuming that means you currently do not have one. That may present itself as a bit of a problem. There is decent public transport in the DC area, but unless you live in DC proper, it's really advisable in my mind to come here with a car or to consider buying one. You can survive in other parts of the metro area too without one, and the bus service here is fairly widespread, but on a day to day basis, unless living in DC or a handful of inner suburbs, living without a car will be quite a nuisance. It's more expensive to live in DC itself, but for job, transporation and networking prospects, as well as dealing with immigration issues, it may be worth it.

It will definitely be an adjustment moving to the DC area. In terms of climate, people, culture, economy, architecture, etc. it has little resemblance to Key West. But for your and your family's future, I think it would definitely serve you better to relocate to the area. DC offers more hope of a better future.

As I read your lines I'm getting more confident at least with the idea that I AM in the right track. I am sure my immigration status will be cleared up within first 6 month I move to DC and I've got strategy to built better life as I go on. my BA degree in International Journalism. I also have couple state department scholarships in the past and very passionate about school and education. While in Key West I got an admission to several schools for MA in sustaniable development International Relations and Publib Administration but due to my status and lack of money I could not go to any of them. I still have open school offer for Public administration one of the universities in DC area and hopefully I can start it up around January. So far I have an option of living close to my friends in Arlington area or Alexandria. I will defenetly consider of owning a car and house in the future around VA or MD.
on the second I had my feet on the airplane from my country I was not going to the land of honey and milk but I knew for sure I can make it there...

Thank you very much for the support and I do appriciate you all for helping I will post updates on how it is going with my situation. Meanwhile I would love to hear more thought of people who have first experience like you.

I get more frustrated and disappointed everytime I think Who I was and who am now in Key west... At least in DC I would be working towards something, towards future.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istan View Post
As I read your lines I'm getting more confident at least with the idea that I AM in the right track. I am sure my immigration status will be cleared up within first 6 month I move to DC and I've got strategy to built better life as I go on. my BA degree in International Journalism. I also have couple state department scholarships in the past and very passionate about school and education. While in Key West I got an admission to several schools for MA in sustaniable development International Relations and Publib Administration but due to my status and lack of money I could not go to any of them. I still have open school offer for Public administration one of the universities in DC area and hopefully I can start it up around January. So far I have an option of living close to my friends in Arlington area or Alexandria. I will defenetly consider of owning a car and house in the future around VA or MD.
on the second I had my feet on the airplane from my country I was not going to the land of honey and milk but I knew for sure I can make it there...

Thank you very much for the support and I do appriciate you all for helping I will post updates on how it is going with my situation. Meanwhile I would love to hear more thought of people who have first experience like you.

I get more frustrated and disappointed everytime I think Who I was and who am now in Key west... At least in DC I would be working towards something, towards future.
It sounds like you have some pretty good credentials and a good plan laid out for your future and have some set goals in mind. If anything, the struggle you're going through now will probably give you the motivation to work that much harder to get your proper papers, to further your education, and to get a good job and provide for your family.

I'm not an immigration specialist, but it sounds like you know exactly what it is you have to do to secure legality, and are fairly certain of obtaining it, and it's just a matter of time and finances. I'm sure once you become legal and save up enough money, you should have no problem finding an MA program that suits you.

If you have friends in Arlington, it's a good place to get settled. Rents are a bit higher than average, but still, you should be able to find a perfectly decent place for under $1500/month. The public transportation is good and generally speaking, it's doable to live without a car there, provided you're close to a Metro station or have no problem taking the bus, which serves almost every spot in the city. There's also a very high number of immigrants there, both legal and illegal, so you certainly won't be alone in many of your predicaments.

I would also recommend considering your journalistic background, looking into foreign language media outlets in the DC area. As I said earlier, due to our status as the nation's capital, there is at the very least a tiny community from each country here, and therefore oftentimes a newspaper, or a public access show or a radio show, will be geared towards that community. So it's possible you may find such a thing for your country or in a foreign language that you speak (Russian? Chinese? Arabic? Farsi?). I'm sure that idea has already crossed your mind though.

Keep your head held high. I realize it's easy to become dejected when comparing your life there to here, but it's something that almost all immigrants (legal and illegal) go through, so just try to think towards the future, remembering the reasons for coming to this country to begin with, to secure a more stable life and a better future for your family, and always keep that at forefront of your mind when the times get rough. Definitely keep up posted as well.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 AM

Hello there, I would like to update ths thread saying thatI will be moving in sep 1 hopefully.Tryingto put things together. After long discussion we decided that we will fly. one way fliht costs around 100-140 bucks. Since we do not have anything expensive we will do the yard sale here and buy stuff as we get there. I still do not have alined up job there but i know where we will be living Rosslyn Arlington VA. I hope it is agod are for family. I will be posting more as we move on

Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM

41 posts, read 231,353 times
Hey istan, are you sure you can fly without a visa? =/ I really hope you can, and I hope you can settle down well after you arive, good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC