Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 AM

943 posts, read 3,164,325 times

Advertisements

My husband and I went down to the new Washington DC baseball stadium last evening and have a few observations that may be of interest to the residents of the Washington DC area, or people who plan to move here.

The White (non immigrant) population of the greater Washington DC area is maybe only 40% and falling fast, but at the game 95% of the crowd were white. We were shocked how few African Americans were at the game in a city that is 2/3 black. With few exceptions, the only black faces we saw were working there. Also I saw almost no Asians or heard no Spanish spoken.

I could not believe how few kids were at the game. When I use to go to the Minnesota Twins games in the Twin Cities the stands were full of kids.

There were few people over 50 in the stands also. Nearly everyone was 18-35 year old.

I could not believe how many beers people were drinking and how expensive the food and drinks were. People were still loading up with $7.50 beer and terrible looking food even in this terrible recession.

Finally, few people seemed at all interested in the game at all. There were there to party, walk around and meet friends.

It appeared that Washington is not a true baseball town, and those that attended are not typical Washingtonians, just young adults who came to party. What a sad state of affairs.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,388,785 times
During the world series counting could wait.
Mrs. Tigerman would bring a TV to class.
We wouldn't miss a game.

Drysdale, Koufax my grandpa and me.
Together each year.

But times have changed.
More important things concern us now.
Like the racial makeup at the game.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
My husband and I went down to the new Washington DC baseball stadium last evening and have a few observations that may be of interest to the residents of the Washington DC area, or people who plan to move here.
No.

They're not.

(BTW, don't you ever get tired of trying to instigate controvery?)

Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 AM

If you are not interested, do not try to hijack this thread and discourage others from discussing its content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No.

They're not.

(BTW, don't you ever get tired of trying to instigate controvery?)

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 07-19-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-19-2009, 08:27 AM

573 posts, read 2,507,924 times
Of course nobody's interested...the Nats suck this year. Generally people don't go when your team isn't any good. I personally wouldn't buy $7.50 beers but people like their beer at their games so that's they're business, they can do what they want.
And for this shocking racial make-up...that's pretty much any baseball game in America. Nothing exciting and no reason to start yet another thread to get people all pissed off along the lines of race.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,379,777 times
Im not sure what you are trying to say but by reading the title alone you repulse me

you are just ranting that there were white people there, that people were buying food and beer, that there werent any children there... what? are you serious?!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Crowd was huge

80% of the seats were filled, but few really cared what was going on in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Of course nobody's interested...the Nats suck this year. Generally people don't go when your team isn't any good. I personally wouldn't buy $7.50 beers but people like their beer at their games so that's they're business, they can do what they want.
And for this shocking racial make-up...that's pretty much any baseball game in America. Nothing exciting and no reason to start yet another thread to get people all pissed off along the lines of race.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
80% of the seats were filled, but few really cared what was going on in the game.
Oh, the horror, the horror. People attending a game featuring the worst team in baseball *not* paying attention to what's going on during the game? People purchasing beer, and during a recession at that? Good God, have we lost our moral compass? What's next, men venturing outside without a hat and wearing loose-fitting trousers?

As far as your efforts at racial baiting, not certain what that has to do with anything other than an attempt to stir controversy, but the white population of the DC area does in fact exceed 50%, as per the latest census figures, and African-Americans make up a little over 25% of the population. Again though, what that has to do with baseball, I have no idea.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 PM

573 posts, read 2,507,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Oh, the horror, the horror. People attending a game featuring the worst team in baseball *not* paying attention to what's going on during the game? People purchasing beer, and during a recession at that? Good God, have we lost our moral compass? What's next, men venturing outside without a hat and wearing loose-fitting trousers?
Hahahahaha. Those darn young-ins always wanting to have a good time right?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Racial baiting?

Just making an observation, why is everyone white at the game in a town dominated by ethnic minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

As far as your efforts at racial baiting, not certain what that has to do with anything other than an attempt to stir controversy, but the white population of the DC area does in fact exceed 50%, as per the latest census figures, and African-Americans make up a little over 25% of the population. Again though, what that has to do with baseball, I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: