Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 78,028 times

Advertisements

Hi.
We are moving to DC this summer. We have just spent one year in Boston and one in Brooklyn so I want to try to move to the right area for us in DC as my kids have moved a lot recently. My husband is a lawyer but I am an artist/designer and don't feel comfortable in wealthy lawyer/doctor, lunching lady enclaves. That said- we have two small children (2.5 and 1) and I do stay home with them so pre schools, parks, things to do in the day etc are important to us. Also we don't want huge commutes (45 minutes max) on public transport. We would rather have just one car (the last 2 years we have had no car) and are used to public transport as the main option. Budget is not so much of a consideration as we are used to high rents in NY but we would like value for money not money for prestige. At the moment we live in Park Slope/Prospect heights area of Brooklyn which has a good combination of family and adult entertainment, shops (i.e urban- not driving 3 miles to pick up milk) and culture and reasonable (for ny) rents. I guess we are looking for similar in dc. Where should we look? I have never even visited DC so I have no idea. Oh- we are an australian/argentinian family if that is relevent.
Thank you

Last edited by olivia1454; 04-17-2007 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
The DC Metro looks a little like a UN General Assembly meeting, so the Australian/Argentinian part isn't going to be much of a factor here at all. More important would be whether you were thinking of city or suburban living, and with two young kids, the down-side of the city would be the DC school system which isn't in very good shape. Most DC parents who can afford it have their kids in private schools. The downside of the suburbs, some of which (particularly in VA) have excellent public schools, would be the commute. Forty-five minutes would be close to the minimum that's actually possible if you're commuting at normal hours. Much would depend on where the law office will be. The best plan would be to start from there, then figure out which areas that meet your other criteria would be a 45-60 minute commute to/from there. There are a lot of nice areas around DC to choose from, and a lot of people not into the stereotype 'power lunch' scene as well, so you're not at all looking for the impossible here. DC is expensive, and the traffic can be awful, but coming from Boston and Brooklyn should have prepared you pretty well for those. If you play your cards right, it is possible, but not actually recommended, to get by with no car in some areas around DC, but for the moment at least, I'd say figure that one car will be the right number for you. So, if you can provide an indication of at least the area where work will be, there are a handful of long-term locals here who will be happy to give you the best advice they can on matching that up to the rest of your preferences...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
Check in 22206, Arlington VA. (I didn't have kids in school there though)

The suburban sprawl is really bad here, and the traffic isn't getting better.
FWIW, I also lived in Brooklyn (although early 90s) and I don't think you'll find too many similarities here. Things are much more car oriented here in spite of the traffic. Most of the suburbs look the same on either side -- stretching out at least 60 miles.

I suggested 22206 because a large section of that (Arlington Ridge) is like a small community with some upscale houses and mid-range apts and condos. It's like a hidden throwback neighborhood that is very close to everything in DC.

You guys may find a more metropolitan feel in some of the trendy DC neighborhoods, and I would look there before trying to find something in the 'burbs.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 78,028 times
Default Thanks and more info

Thanks for your quick responses. Its is very helpful. Here is a little more information.
My husband would be working on New Hampshire boulevard in NW. We prefer living where it is a bit more urban rather than completely suburban. I like walking alot so I like to live where there are things around to look at and places to walk to, but I don't want to be living in an area dominated by 20 somethings and bars. I would really like there to be other kids around. My eldest is only two and we are not really planning to be in DC for her highschool education so the school thing is less of an issue at this stage. My husband being able to spend time with them not sitting in traffic is more important, so I guess shorter commute wins over good schools.
Also is there much of an art/design culture is DC (and if so where is it located) or is it totally dominated by law and politics?
Thanks again.

Last edited by olivia1454; 04-18-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 69,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia1454 View Post
Thanks for your quick responses. Its is very helpful. Here is a little more information.
My husband would be working on New Hampshire boulevard in NW. We prefer living where it is a bit more urban rather than completely suburban. I like walking alot so I like to live where there are things around to look at and places to walk to, but I don't want to be living in an area dominated by 20 somethings and bars. I would really like there to be other kids around. My eldest is only two and we are not really planning to be in DC for her highschool education so the school thing is less of an issue at this stage. My husband being able to spend time with them not sitting in traffic is more important, so I guess shorter commute wins over good schools.
Also is there much of an art/design culture is DC (and if so where is it located) or is it totally dominated by law and politics?
Thanks again.
I lived in Adams Mogan for wutie some time and loved it. I lived off of Adams Mill Rd so I was close to the 'action' of Adams Morgan, but not close enough to hear all the noise. There is a great park there called the walter pierce park.

The area between adams morgan and kalaroma is quite nice. south along 18th st, past Florida is quite nice as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
You won't find many young children in Adams Morgan.
If you are really committed to city living, you might consider Capitol Hill. There are lots of young families there, with a surprising number of stay at home moms. Some parts are better (and safer) than others, so you would really need to come down here and check out the area before committing.
Other good city neighborhoods are Cleveland Park (very expensive, but generally in a very casual way, if you know what I mean. Million dollar + homes with crabgrass....), Woodley Park, and Chevy Chase. Chevy Chase is more suburban in feel. All of these neighborhoods are full of lawyers AND artists who refuse to live in the suburbs.
For "urban suburban" living, try North Arlington, along the Orange Line. The Lyon Park and Lyon Village neighborhoods near the Clarendon metro have single-family houses with young kids, parks, etc. plus lots of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. Not cheap, of course. It would be a fairly short commute for your husband if he can walk to the metro stop; driving and finding a place to park will add at least 15 minutes to the trip. There really isn't much awful suburban traffic in Arlington, but you are still close to the Tyson's Corner Mall for those rainy days when you need to take the kids SOMEWHERE in the stroller.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM

82 posts, read 433,710 times
New Hampshire Blvd. NW or New Hampshire Ave. NW? And if the latter, anywhere near the Georgia Ave.-Petworth Metro?

If you like Park Slope, then you'd probably like parts of the Hill. It's a very walkable (and babystrollerable) community w/ a large number of young families, many of whom go through all sorts of contortions to remain in the area when the kids become school age (esp. if they're not w/in the Cluster School's boundaries). It's well served by Metro (orange/blue in SE and red in the NE), groceries (whether you shop at Eastern Market or the supermarket), and has plenty of popular playgrounds (which tend to be fenced off between areas for kids and areas for dogs). There's a flea/craft/art market every weekend on the grounds of the junior high, a healthy choice of restaurants (as well as pubs/bars for the older set) and a fair number of houses (in addition to apartments) for rent at (relatively) reasonable rates. The Capitol Hill Arts Workshop offers classes from early childhood on up.

But claremarie rightly points out that a trip to check out the area is needed before committing, esp. because realtors and rental agencies seem to have grossly expanded their interpretation of what qualifies as Capitol Hill since the area started resurging in popularity. It also doesn't have anything comparable to Prospect Park. The Capitol Grounds are currently under (de)construction, although The Mall and Smithsonian is just on the other side of that big domed building.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

157 posts, read 780,482 times
I am not sure how much help I can be, but will tell you what I know.

I am moving to DC from Westfield, NJ a NYC suburb ( a very walkable, family friendly town, with a bustling downtown). I am not to familiar with DC, but also want to make the best decision for myself and my children. (I have no interest in suburban sprawl).

After a lot of research on this site, and speaking with people from the area, I have settled on 4 areas: Chevy Chase, DC, Chevy Chase, MD, American University Park, DC and Palisades, DC. All of these are urban type residential areas with primarily single family homes. All of the public elementary schools are top notch, (even though your kids are young now- this does draw more families to the area). We visited for a long weekend, and I really liked the feel of these areas, and their close proximity to museums, etc in downtown.

This being said, the areas are not quite as walkable as I would have hoped, and being home with children you will probably need a car (hopefully your husband could use mass transit- the bus system seems somewhat extensive).

I loved Georgetown, and would probably live there, except the elementary school is extremely small, and not as highly rated. I am not sure if it is a family area, or more of a young professional area.

I hope this helps, please keep us updated on your search- we are house hunting now- I completely understand the stresses...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
New Hampshire Blvd. NW or New Hampshire Ave. NW? And if the latter, anywhere near the Georgia Ave.-Petworth Metro?
Well, there isn't a New Hampshire Blvd NW, so NH Ave it pretty much has to be, but as it's lawyers, I'd be guessing something more West End/Dupont-ish than Petworth. Maybe the 1000 to 1500 blocks or so? If so, that would put a lot of West End, Dupont, and Logan Circle into play as urban choices. The problem there, as on Capitol Hill, may be the space you'd need with two small kids. Rooms, you can get, but the tab for suites or an entire house could get pretty steep.

Quote:
If you like Park Slope, then you'd probably like parts of the Hill...
Concur in all of that Capitol Hill analysis. Lots of young people on the Hill, lots of little ones, and lots of dogs. I think you have to have at least one dog to be a true part of the community. And like most of DC, lots of green places. Only question I'd have is re the 'supermarket'. There are various Mom & Pop storefronts, but until the Harris-Teeter opens on the east side, I'm not sure where you've got one.

Quote:
But claremarie rightly points out that a trip to check out the area is needed before committing, esp. because realtors and rental agencies seem to have grossly expanded their interpretation of what qualifies as Capitol Hill since the area started resurging in popularity.
Had an argument over that very thing two weeks ago. These realtor types are pretty much claiming now that anything north of 295 (not to mention south of Gallaudet) is Capitol Hill. I don't think so. All that pretty much from 295 up to the north side of PA Ave SE to me is still, well, Eastern Market. Still, that would be another option also. That whole stretch around 8th Street down to Barracks Row has really come a long way quickly. It's downright pleasant there now.

Anyway Olivia, New Hampshire Avenue is a pretty long street. If there's a nearby cross street or an approximate building address for the office, it would be easier to be more specific.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
I am moving to DC from Westfield, NJ a NYC suburb ( a very walkable, family friendly town, with a bustling downtown).
Well, that's quite a nice place, Westfield. Not as nice as Madison, of course, but still very nice. :-)

Quote:
After a lot of research on this site, and speaking with people from the area, I have settled on 4 areas: Chevy Chase, DC, Chevy Chase, MD, American University Park, DC and Palisades, DC.
Those are all nice too. Can't go too far wrong. There are some just terrific spots over in Palisades. That's one of my favorites.

Quote:
This being said, the areas are not quite as walkable as I would have hoped, and being home with children you will probably need a car (hopefully your husband could use mass transit- the bus system seems somewhat extensive).
Yup, for most a car is a perhaps reluctant necessity. There are places where you wouldn't need to use it very much, but having one at least stashed away somewhere is probably a good idea. The bus system used to be a mish-mash, but with Metrorail coming into prominence, the city and region pretty much had to tear up and redo the bus system from top to bottom. Today, it is WAY better than what it was, quite extensive, and a very reasonable resource for a lot of people.

Quote:
I loved Georgetown, and would probably live there, except the elementary school is extremely small, and not as highly rated. I am not sure if it is a family area, or more of a young professional area.
It's mixed. Throw in some students too. More youthful down by the river, old school money in G'town proper, professionals in upper/north side. That's an overgeneralization of course, but you can't do much else in twenty words or less...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: