Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM

41 posts, read 161,751 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Michigan to DC in July. I'll have a car although I hope to use public transportation for day-to-day travel. Can someone please tell me a bit more about the need to purchase a residential parking permit? How much does this cost and is it an absolute necessity if living in areas like Dupont, Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park etc.? My wife will be pursuing a PhD at Georgetown so proximity to that area is a priority.

Any other advice about bringing a car to DC is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
You get the permit when you get your car tagged in DC and you get your DC drivers license, but I don't remember the price (like $100 or so I think). Unless you have a garage and plan on using your car rarely, I would recommend it (necessity if you are street parking). If can be helpful too if you are visiting another neighborhood in your zone as you can park there for quite a bit.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks PenguinSix. That pretty much clarifies everything for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
You get the permit when you get your car tagged in DC and you get your DC drivers license, but I don't remember the price (like $100 or so I think).
Actually, it's $15/year for a residential parking permit. Here is a chart of the registration fees: District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles - Information - Vehicle Registration Fees (http://dmv.dc.gov/info/feerequirementsVR2.shtm - broken link)

When you go to get your new tags and license they ask if you want a residential parking permit. Just say yes and they add a number to your registration sticker.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 17,092 times
My son is going to school at George Washington but does not live on campus. His car is actually registered to me and has NC lic. plate. Can he still get a parking permit or does he have to have the registration change to DC?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Hey Joe, I'm pretty sure the vehicle needs to be registered in DC in order to get a residential parking permit. Check out this link for more info District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles - Services - Plates - Residential Parking Permit (RPP) (http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/RPP.shtm - broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

187 posts, read 351,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hatem View Post
My son is going to school at George Washington but does not live on campus. His car is actually registered to me and has NC lic. plate. Can he still get a parking permit or does he have to have the registration change to DC?
Joe there are special rule for out-of-state students with cars in the District. Check the DC.gov website for what your son needs to do for him to keep his car in the District. The District is strict about people living in the District without registering their cars, but there is an exception for out-of-state college students. If he ignores the rules, they will eventually track him down and boot his car, so it worth the time to get everything straight. Also tell him to pay all parking tickets, you can do this online, promptly. The District is relentless and people who come from outside the area are sometime slow to realize that they must follow the rules.

Another question might be why does your son need a car in the District when going to school. Most people in the district especially students use public transportation. You son might find that a lot more convenient in the long run.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 14,994 times
If I am moving to DC, and moving into a place that has street parking, where do I park until I am able to go to the DMV? Will I be allowed to park on the street without a permit if it's just the first few days before I have a chance to go to the DMV? How does it work? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylou2222 View Post
If I am moving to DC, and moving into a place that has street parking, where do I park until I am able to go to the DMV? Will I be allowed to park on the street without a permit if it's just the first few days before I have a chance to go to the DMV? How does it work? Thanks!
take your lease and your car registration to the nearest police station and they will give you a temporary placard to place in your window. You can get one for up to 15 days. that should give you enough time to make it to the dmv.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,501 times
If I own a business (including the building the business is operating in) within DC can I get a zone parking permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC