Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times

Advertisements

These are the two most likely options for me right now. They seem like the best areas that I can find if I want a bedroom in a townhouse for $600-800. I'm moving out to DC on Thursday, but I have a place already lined up in Tenleytown for my first 2 weeks.(Until May 1) This way I can visit a few places before committing.

Which neighborhood seems to be a bit nicer? I'm a 21-year-old male who just accepted a job with the DCFD. I won't have too much free time, but would still like a nicer urban area with lots to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Do you have addresses for specfic places in Columbia Heights or Bloomingdale? I'm not sure about Bloomingdale, but CH can be very block-to-block.

That said, my inclination is slightly towards CH since it's closer to Target, U Street, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle. Keep in mind I have little-to-no experience with Bloomingdale.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Not sure on the CH address yet, but here is a place that I'm visiting Friday in Bloomingdale: 38 T St. NW $600/month in a 4BR rowhouse with 3 others. I don't know if that includes utilities, but it seems like a good deal either way.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
I've got some friends around the corner on the 100 block of Rhode Island.

Area is getting better. It's quiet, but still pretty sketchy. The main thing is there is almost nothing to walk to in that hood.

You seem like you'll be able to handle yourself so it seems like it would be fine depending on how everything is with your roommates. That's a low price for rent. I'd check it all out before committing.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

228 posts, read 920,041 times
I live in Bloomingdale. The unit block of T street has had some "issues" in the past due to one loud/drug-dealing family. But they might have moved. I would ask specifically however. Your next door neighbor can make all the difference when you are in a row house.

Bloomingdale is actually safer than Columbia Heights by any statistical measure, and does not feel any more "sketchy" to me. But it does not have many amenities within walking distance.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I just got to DC a couple hours ago after the long drive. I'm in Tenleytown for now and really like it. I'm going to check out the place in Bloomingdale tonight.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Well I went to the place in Bloomingdale. I thought that it was really nice. I only have to sign a six-month lease so I think I might just jump on it. The only other places I could find in my price range were places in Columbia Heights, SW DC and some less desirable areas on Capital Hill. However, the three girls here were very nice so I figure that that's a god enough reason to take it. SW DC was one of the places that I was looking at earlier. It was a little more expensive but seemed just as far as most places to amenities. Bloomingdale didn't seem to have much in the area, but its 1 Metro stop to U St and 2 to Chinatown. Otherwise its only a 20 minute walk to the U St Metro and 15 to the Shaw Metro. Rent is $600/month plus utilities.(80-100)

Any other tips for the area? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 81,962 times
Default Bloomingdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Well I went to the place in Bloomingdale. I thought that it was really nice. I only have to sign a six-month lease so I think I might just jump on it.

Any other tips for the area? Thanks for the help.

I live in Bloomingdale. You might enjoy the Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings beginning in May, even if you don't buy anything.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM

There's two new places that I'm looking at now. One in Bloomingdale: 57 Rhode Island Ave NW(600 plus utilities). And one in Columbia Heights: 723 Euclid St NW(650 plus utilities). The Columbia Heights one is nicer inside and closer to U St and Adams Morgan and several Metro stops. Bloomingdale is nicer outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC