Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,688 times

Advertisements

Greetings All-

Thanks for fielding this inquiry. I'm planning on relocating to DC in early spring. I've got a lead on an apartment located on the 1400 block of Newton Street, NW in Columbia Heights. The space/rent sound great, but I'm a bit concerned with the neighborhood. I'm a nonprofit professional woman, late twenties, single.

Several years ago (geez---probably about 5) I interned for a year in DC and lived near Eastern Market in SE. At that time (with less gentrication), I felt comfortable in that neighborhood. I just didn't walk alone at night, and I didn't run into any problems.

Thoughts on the suitability of this area? I've gotten responses from friends and family that range from fairly nonchalant (albeit uninformed) to absolutely horrified at the prospect of living in this neighborhood.

Much Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
That area is still gentrifying, so it really depends on the exact location of where you'll be. The area that is the furthest along is 14th Street, especially near the metro, and on Newton you're not far at all from all of that (Target, Best Buy, Staples, new condos, etc). If you've lived in a gentrifying area before, my inclination is that you'll be ok. I know several young single people who live there and don't have much of a problem. Certain sections are sketchier than others, and you learn where they are and where to go (or not to go).

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
Depends on you. What's your street savvy and tolerance for crimes in and around your neighborhood? Are you talking about coming home after work or stumbling home after the bars closed (not recommended).

My advice would be to map the crime in your new place then map the crime in the area you lived before, and see how much of a difference you can expect.

And of course, stay alert. It's the city so things happen even in the best of neighborhoods.

Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/query.asp - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
14th and Newton is where a teenager was stabbed to death in mid-December.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,337 times
In most DC neighborhoods, you can use good street smarts and judgement to avoid most problems that all American cities have.

Columbia Heights is not one of those neighborhoods. Problems come to you. Or, me and my friends anyway.

I don't know why, but that's just where a large amount of teenagers of a criminal bent live and play.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence I could give you about why I'm not interested in being around CH, and I'm sure there are lots of people living there who haven't had any problems.

However, the place has a justified reputation, and the rent on the apartment in question is low for a reason.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 33,966 times
I live in Southern Columbia Heights and I looked at buying a place at 14th and Newton. Although it is very close to Giant, DC USA and the Metro and therefore should be a good population of non-criminals walking around, the two big problems I had with that intersection were: BIG firehouse on the corner which means constant sirens and noise (firetrucks still go out for every stubbed toe that ambulances go out for and this neighborhood is busy) and the dilapidated and empty (except for criminals/homeless/druggies) buildings on that block -- one of which the city is going to buy and convert, but that's on hold due to it being overpriced.

If I could do it all over again, I'd be on 11th/12th/13th (skip 14th), 15th and then higher. Somehow gentrification skipped 14th street in Columbia Heights.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGentry View Post
Somehow gentrification skipped 14th street in Columbia Heights.
This makes no sense, from a developmental perspective. One of the largest urban developmental projects in the entire city--the DC USA complex--went up along 14th street and spans both sides of nearly 3 city blocks. Now, I can't speak to the quality or availability of housing along the 14th street corridor, but when you have a drink at Di'vinos, enjoy dinner at The Heights, pick up some housewares from bed Bath & Beyond, and top it off with a cappucino at the corner coffee shop...that's a gentrified area.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou02 View Post
Thoughts on the suitability of this area? I've gotten responses from friends and family that range from fairly nonchalant (albeit uninformed) to absolutely horrified at the prospect of living in this neighborhood.
I wouldn't be horrified to live there, but I would make absolutely certain I knew what I was getting myself into. Columbia Heights is one of those neighborhoods that puts up a good front: shiny new retail, coffee shops and pubs, restaurants, etc. But then you realize that nearly 100% of the commercial activity in Columbia Heights has come about during the last 5 years, and it takes much longer than that for the seedier element to be removed from the area.

For many years, Columbia Heights was by no means a good area; it was a hotspot for drug activity, gangs, shootings and various assorted urban ills. To be sure, it has improved immensely...but just last night, for instance, there was a shooting at 14th and Girard that (fortunately) simply injured someone. There was a slaying a few months back, and youth violence is a persistent problem, particularly in the vicinity of the Metro.

So what I'm saying is, you should definitely spend some time in the neighborhood before making a decision. Walk around during the daytime, walk around a night, take the Metro, venture into some of the side residential streets, etc. There are a number of positives about the neighborhood: as I mentioned, it's become a commercial hotspot, it's got some gorgeous houses, Meridian Hill Park is nearby and is among the best parks in the city, and it's connected via Metro and in an advantageous location in the center of the city. But it's not Dupont, Georgetown or Logan either.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
Also, someone was held up coming out of the Columbia Heights metro between 5:30 and 6:00 pm on a weekday. I often noted how fast people exit the station. Doesn't compare to any other. No I know why. And 14th and U, people said the same things when Waterside Mall opened in SW. It proved to be a complete failure.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Also, someone was held up coming out of the Columbia Heights metro between 5:30 and 6:00 pm on a weekday. I often noted how fast people exit the station. Doesn't compare to any other. No I know why. And 14th and U, people said the same things when Waterside Mall opened in SW. It proved to be a complete failure.
There's been a lot of good posts on this thread. The potential is definitely there, some of the views are remarkable, and the big distinction from the Waterside Mall area is all the early 1900s architecture that has been, and is being, renovated. But it's still not an area for the faint of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC