Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM

360 posts, read 992,810 times

Advertisements

We're planning a day trip to Washington from Philly on a Saturday, and I'm thinking it might be easiest to park at a Metro station rather than drive into the city. Any suggestions on which station might be most convenient in terms of getting on/off I-95 and any other factors? We'll be visiting several different neighborhoods, so the ultimate destination in the city shouldn't be a factor.

Secondly, if we decide to stay over, is overnight parking allowed or advisable?

Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM

180 posts, read 667,061 times
Excellent idea. Most people who come in for day trips/nights out from Maryland do exactly that. Greenbelt is where I'd suggest. It's really easy from 95 and you'll have no issues with traffic. You'll hit the 495 Beltway and 95 merges with it, so you just stay on. It's 1 or 2 exits from there, and the exit is just for metro parking. Parking is plentiful and free on the weekend, and Greenbelt is one of the few lots that allows for overnight parking. It's basically a commuter lot for Maryland folks.

I've left my car there until 2-3 AM many times on the weekend, so I don't think you have much to worry about for parking overnight as long as you park under a light and take out any obvious loot (GPS, etc).

Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
I'd park in Greenbelt or New Carrolton. Some stations do have overnight parking, but I'm not sure exactly where. You definitely won't want to drive into DC this Saturday, the cherry blossoms are supposed to peak this week so it'll be crowded.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks. This is just what I needed to know.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,373 times
Default Related

Hi! I know this is an old post, but I am doing the same thing tomorrow or Saturday (driving from Philly to DC for the first time). I was wondering if Greenbelt station is still a wise choice to drop off my car for the day (don't need overnight parking) if I am going on a weekday or will it be full? Also, what's the deal with wmata.com saying I need a Smartrip card to pay for parking? Does that only apply on weekdays and can I get the card at the station? Would parking and traffic be better if we just went on Saturday? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 AM

We ended up parking at the College Park station, because we decided we wanted to take a look at the Univ of Maryland campus before heading into DC. It was a peak weekend for cherry blossoms, so the garage was nearly full with very long lines at the ticket machines, but still a good choice overall. I doubt the lots will be nearly as crowded this weekend. Because weekend parking is free, no SmartCard is necessary; the gates are open.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
SmartTrip cards are the only way to pay for parking. Greenbelt should be fine.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM

180 posts, read 667,061 times
SmarTrip is the only way to pay for parking, but parking is free on weekends.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,696 times
A couple of New Carrolton parking questions:
1) what time on weekdays does the Metro parking lot fill up?
2) Do the surrounding businesses enforce towing off of Garden City Drive, Professional Place, Corporate Drive (i.e. US Epilepsy, Giant, Mitre )? I worked at Merkle off of Corporate Drive and the lots had available spaces and wouldn't tow. They were patrolled by security and well-lit for the most part.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: