Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which paper do you prefer?
Washington Post 40 76.92%
Washington Times 7 13.46%
Washington City Paper 5 9.62%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times

Advertisements

I do not live in DC, but should be soon. Here in Milwaukee, I've heard more about the Washington Post. Never heard much about the Times, but it seems like that is also popular. Which Do you guys read, and which is the more popular paper in DC?

I've also seen the City Paper, which I've read a few times online. I like that it's a little different and has a nice Classified section to look for places to rent. However, I'm assuming that is isn't as popular.(I think it's only weekly?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM

50 posts, read 202,599 times
WaPo, but I don't have a subscription anymore, read it online and get the sunday edition. Read Express on the metro in the AM, free daily by WaPo.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
The Washington Times is the alternative daily from the Post in the sense that it comes from a politically conservative viewpoint.

The Post is more comprehensive, with more local coverage, restaurant reviews, magazine and so forth.

Although lately I do prefer the Times sports page over the Post.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM

190 posts, read 684,020 times
The CityPaper is a free local independent weekly paper, akin to the Village Voice in NYC, or the Chicago Reader. The Washington Post is on the same level as the New York Times, except that it is balanced with a local focus also. It also tends to lean to the center, or left of center (with some exceptions). The Washington Times is a smaller scale paper, and more conservative, which is one of the reasons that it doesn't get as much press as the Post.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM

180 posts, read 667,011 times
Post, though you've got to keep in mind that it is left-leaning. As for classifieds, Craigslist is the way to go around DC for the most part.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
The Washingon Times is also owned by Sun Myung Moon

Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
The Examiner is also here- it's a small, free, tabloid alternative to the Post. It also leans right but not as far as the Times does.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
The Post is considered to have a liberal bent, but more 'establishment liberal', although I find it's editorial page to be pretty balanced between liberal and conservative columnists. The Times is the local conservative paper, and it's sports and metro coverage is pretty good. The only thing that disturbs me about the Times is the fact that it is owned by the cultish Unification Church, the leader of which, the Reverend Sun Young Moon ("dear father"), believes himself to be the second coming of Christ. That alone creeps me out enough not to buy it.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
The Washingon Times is also owned by Sun Myung Moon
Odd but true.

I have a friend who used to be a reporter there and he told me the Unification Church never exercised any influence over content, for what it's worth.

I'll take it as a counterbalance to the Post, because looking around the country I'm seeing very few cities with two competing dailies. Plenty of big cities have their one newspaper that's just barely holding on. Very difficult business model this day in age.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The Examiner is also here- it's a small, free, tabloid alternative to the Post. It also leans right but not as far as the Times does.
IMO, the Washington Examiner leans further to the right than the Washington Times does (i.e. ultra far to the right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC