Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,971 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Florida to Gaithersburg to take up a job, I am looking to stay closer to DC for the night life. I have been looking at NW DC, Bethesda, Silver Spring. Any advice on the locations, commute and prices i will be looking at. I am single and looking for a 1br/1ba preferably close to the red line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 AM

470 posts, read 2,097,342 times
In NW DC, the easy commuting neighborhoods would be Glover Park, Cleveland Park, Tenleytown and Friendship Heights. Most 1-br's are around $1500. That number goes higher if it's a nicer building near the metro.

Downtown Bethesda and Silver Spring would be a tad cheaper.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

658 posts, read 1,786,747 times
Bethesda or the North Bethesda area in Rockville may be your best bet.

Most 1 bedrooms in Bethesda near the metro start in the $1600-$1700 range, but there are some more affordable apartments around Battery Lane. The further north you travel on Wisconsin (355) the cheaper the price is.

I live in Bethesda and commute to Gaitherburg for work; the commute via 270 is a breeze since you are traveling in the opposite direction each way. However, the problem with NW DC and Silver Spring is that you have to take the local roads to get to the freeways which can take time especially with traffic lights.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM

177 posts, read 456,968 times
Rockville and Bethesda are very expensive IMHO. You can find apartments in Downtown Silver Spring for $600. My place is like a 2 minute walk from the metro.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM

196 posts, read 921,019 times
If you want to be close to nightlife you should stay in NW DC. Bethesda is really nice and not as congested, but it's kind of a downtown in a polished suburb. Very family oriented and the place is dead at night.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,304,815 times
You might want to check out Takoma Park DC. The area is close to metro and also close to the club areas.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Silver Spring or Takoma Park are not good places if you are commuting to Gaithersburg. They ar on the red line, but you have to go through DC to take the red line to Gaithersburg. NW DC or Bethesda are more like what you said you wanted.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:29 AM

177 posts, read 456,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
If you want to be close to nightlife you should stay in NW DC. Bethesda is really nice and not as congested, but it's kind of a downtown in a polished suburb. Very family oriented and the place is dead at night.
There are a few good watering holes in Bethesda but I agree with your comments for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
You might want to check out Takoma Park DC. The area is close to metro and also close to the club areas.
Which side of Takoma? There is a good side of Takoma and then there is a not so good side of Takoma.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:19 PM

28 posts, read 227,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
Which side of Takoma? There is a good side of Takoma and then there is a not so good side of Takoma.

Elaborate? On the MD side as well pls -- thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 PM

83 posts, read 484,424 times
Really depends on what you like. Since I don't want to drive, NW DC was my choice. I commute to College Park... that 9 miles takes me 50 mins on the train and bus, but it's worth every second of it (then again, I only work 20 hrs/wk, I think I would be too tired to enjoy the city if I work full time). I don't think you can walk to your work from red line station? If not, I wouldn't suggest living in DC, unless you leave early/come home late.

If it's a short term (say 1 yr lease), try it out. I had my doubts but I decided to splurge and take the hit on commute time. I have never been happier in my life. I don't think I can do this forever, but it's an experience that I will always remember.

The best thing is stay in a weekly hotel in each location to see where you like the most. I have lived in hotel for a month everytime I moved. It's not very cheap but the chance of regretting where you end up picking would be lower.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC