Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,759,317 times

Advertisements

[quote=Skatergirl;4279352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
I agree about the car insurance. It's at least double most other areas."

We came from Ct. and our car insurance dropped by half. Go figure. But, I was totally shocked. I thought it would double here. Nice surprize.
I'm from PA and mine dropped drastically too. Moving from VA to DC made it rise by about $50, so not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM

209 posts, read 987,599 times
[quote=Skatergirl;4279352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
I agree about the car insurance. It's at least double most other areas."

We came from Ct. and our car insurance dropped by half. Go figure. But, I was totally shocked. I thought it would double here. Nice surprize.
My car insurance was much, much higher in Philadelphia than in Arlington, VA. Probably more than double.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 PM

273 posts, read 1,488,210 times
[quote=chrisherbert;4285364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

My car insurance was much, much higher in Philadelphia than in Arlington, VA. Probably more than double.
Yes, VA is much lower - DC and MD are higher though.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,759,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Yes, VA is much lower - DC and MD are higher though.
I can't speak for MD, but when I moved to DC from VA my rates went up less than $100. Considering it's still far lower than what I'd pay back in Philly, I'm happy (not quite half-price, but very very close).

Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM

593 posts, read 2,447,728 times
Stocking a new apartment cost more than I thought it would be...there are so many little things to get and they all add up!

My solution has been to buy most furniture/carpet/other bigger things on craigslist, and I just rent a zipcar pickup truck to pick them up. The trucks rent for ~$7.25/hr incl gas, so its not a bad deal at all. Good for hauling big furniture bought on CL.

At first a lot of my friends were like "oh you got your furniture on craigslist...thats weird" but when they saw that I ended up with much nicer furniture than them at about 1/4 of what they paid, those opinions changed.

Of course there are some things that are worth buying new (like a mattress) but for most other things, get your furniture on CL and stocking your new apt won't be as big of a financial surprise.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM

209 posts, read 987,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Stocking a new apartment cost more than I thought it would be...there are so many little things to get and they all add up!

My solution has been to buy most furniture/carpet/other bigger things on craigslist, and I just rent a zipcar pickup truck to pick them up. The trucks rent for ~$7.25/hr incl gas, so its not a bad deal at all. Good for hauling big furniture bought on CL.

At first a lot of my friends were like "oh you got your furniture on craigslist...thats weird" but when they saw that I ended up with much nicer furniture than them at about 1/4 of what they paid, those opinions changed.

Of course there are some things that are worth buying new (like a mattress) but for most other things, get your furniture on CL and stocking your new apt won't be as big of a financial surprise.
One craigslist trick is to go to Ikea, write down what you like, then buy it on craigslist. It seems like about 75% of the furniture on there is from Ikea so you can basically find anything that's available in the store for 25% of the cost (or less).

Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM

593 posts, read 2,447,728 times
Funny that you mention that idea - I have an ikea bed frame, dresser, desk, chair, and kitchen table that I got from craigslist...all originally from ikea!!

You're right - this is a great way to save $$. Especially since a lot of people move in and out of DC, you can often find furniture that is only 6 months or a year old on CL.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,090 times
Living in Louisville and paying $250/month insurance for two cars so guessing you'll find it cheaper all around. Hope you get home soon, but tough economy. Still Louisville not hit as hard as some areas. Best of luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,511,134 times
clothes are expensive. mostly because people like to dress nice here and seem not to wear the same thing more than a few times.

gas in the district is usually significantly higher than in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC