Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

I can not get over the people I meet in Washington DC. While most people are fine and just trying to make it through the work day, there seems to be an unbelievable number of big egos here. The ego, the arrogance, the power trips, the mind games and the office politics seem to be more aggressive here in DC than any where else.

Do you agree or is there another town that has more big egos per capita?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Los Angeles? NYC? Not saying they have more "per capita"... but DC has no more or less of them. The ego's may be different.... in LA/NYC its more financial based... in DC its more politically based... but all in all... you have jerks in all places; just as you have real down to earth people.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
Why does every third post need to be some slam on DC and its citizens? Let's cut to the chase - nobody is making you live here. If you want to live somewhere else, then go ahead an move.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Why does every third post need to be some slam on DC and its citizens? Let's cut to the chase - nobody is making you live here. If you want to live somewhere else, then go ahead an move.
Maybe the last poster is more similar to the typical DC resident than we would like to believe.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I am curious questioner2. How many other cities have you lived in?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I am curious questioner2. How many other cities have you lived in?
I have lived in 7 Cities as an Adult am in my 50s. In a long term previous job, I use to travel on business to places all over America and had a chance to meet with employees at all levels. The people in Washington DC and New Jersey were always the worst and I could not believe the arrogance and egos.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I can not get over the people I meet in Washington DC. While most people are fine and just trying to make it through the work day, there seems to be an unbelievable number of big egos here. The ego, the arrogance, the power trips, the mind games and the office politics seem to be more aggressive here in DC than any where else.

Do you agree or is there another town that has more big egos per capita?
No, you're right. I've never seen anything else like it.

It has a lot to do with the lust for political power. A lot of people come out here on power trips, thinking they're going to run the world, and woe to you if you get in their way. D.C. is a magnet for narcissistic, arrogant, self-absorbed egomaniacs, unfortunately.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
For what it's worth, my wife and I plan to do just that in about a year. We're sick of the people here.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I find the people drawn to DC to be rather fascinating. Sure you get the egos, but there's never any dull or frivolous bar conversations. Usually people are pretty smart, are drawn to the city because they care about something beyond themselves - whether they hate taxes or love taxes, hate wolves or love wolves. People have jobs in DC that nobody has anywhere else in the country. It's like its own little island. When you return to the United States, you can feel it. In a matter of hours, I met a young woman who stages fake terrorist attacks to train the DOD and helps them understand how terrorists think. I then met a woman based in DC who was bombed, shot at, and just deported from Israel because she had seen too much of what the Israeli government does.

I don't know - maybe when you get older those people drift away and only the egos remain. The 20-30 something crowd is endlessly intriguing to me. Far more fascinating than most of their counterparts I've known in NY or LA.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM

381 posts, read 814,411 times
Rather than slam the city, what field do you work in? If its law or politics, you may be right.

Its more likely the field you are in, not the city itself.

But lawyers and Wall Street types in NYC are equally egomanical.

Once again, people will see what they WANT to see.

No, DC isn't friendly like the south, but you can't tell me that people in NYC, Philly, Balt. or Boston are somehow friendlier, less egotistical, and much more fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: