Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Washington DC topped the list:

D.C. tops rankings for USA's most literate cities - USATODAY.com

1. Washington DC
2. Seattle
3. Minneapolis
4. Atlanta
5. Pittsburgh
6. San Francisco
7. St. Paul
8. Denver
9. Portland, Ore.
10. St. Louis
11. Cincinnati
12. Boston
13. Raleigh, N.C.
14. Cleveland
15. New Orleans
16. Columbus, Ohio
17. Kansas City, Mo.
18. Baltimore
19. Tampa
20. Lincoln, Neb.

A few peculiar ones though....Baltimore and Tampa at 18 and 19. The rest don't eem too surprising. Maybe Baltimore belongs there, but I don't usually notice it on such lists.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-31-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
DCPS produces many people who are barely literate. I question this study and their criteria.
Did you read the article? They explained how they came to their conclusions in the study.

I so disagree with your two statements. I barely know where to begin. I've met DCPS products and one is a great technical writer that can out read and out write most of us. So careful with blanket statements.

Even if every single DCPS product was illiterate (which is so not true), you can't forget about the newcomers that moved to DC as adults. Also the study didn't measure reading ability it measured the number of people who read. DC is one of the most educated cities in the country. I'm not surprised that its the most literate.

I think its a good thing and part of what makes DC an interesting place.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM

656 posts, read 648,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Did you read the article? They explained how they came to their conclusions in the study.

I so disagree with your two statements. I barely know where to begin. I've met DCPS products and one is a great technical writer that can out read and out write most of us. So careful with blanket statements.

Even if every single DCPS product was illiterate (which is so not true), you can't forget about the newcomers that moved to DC as adults. Also the study didn't measure reading ability it measured the number of people who read. DC is one of the most educated cities in the country. I'm not surprised that its the most literate.

I think its a good thing and part of what makes DC an interesting place.
OK, I deleted the post. (no I did not read the whole article, I only had time to skim it)

And I never said "all" DCPS are illiterate--I would never make that statement (pls do not put words in my mouth). But there can still be "many" functional illiterates without it being the majority.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times
This is amazing considering the swathes of illiterate people who live in NE DC.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
This is amazing considering the swathes of illiterate people who live in NE DC.
Oy. Really? Based on what?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Interesting. Good for DC. The top three are no suprise, butI was a little surprised (and pleased) to see Atlanta at 4.

The findings in the study are troubling though. The printed word is definitely on the decline.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM

229 posts, read 515,162 times
I didn't want to create a whole new thread for it, but can the forum community recommend some good, non-fictional books that have helped change or even reaffirm their perspective on every day life, whether it be spiritual, economical, political, or social.

Always looking for a good read.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM

84 posts, read 223,857 times
Are people actually reading books or is it having to wade through all the government fine print that makes this area so well read?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
And I never said "all" DCPS are illiterate--I would never make that statement (pls do not put words in my mouth). But there can still be "many" functional illiterates without it being the majority.

How many folks walking into KramerBooks, say, are DCPS grads? What percent of DC residents (assuming USATODAY measured the city and not the metro area) are actually DCPS grads?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
I didn't want to create a whole new thread for it, but can the forum community recommend some good, non-fictional books that have helped change or even reaffirm their perspective on every day life, whether it be spiritual, economical, political, or social.

Always looking for a good read.

Thanks.
I just finished a book called 'Drive' by Daniel Pink. good book. Talks about the disconnect between what business thinks about motivation (the more money they pay you, the more you'll be motivated) vs what scientific research has actually proven (autonomy, mastery, purpose is a higher motivation than money) as far as what motivates us as human beings. It's an easy to digest read about 200pages or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: