Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,568,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
Because if you say anything bad about the man you must be white and hateful...
The man is dead. Either pay your respects or keep it moving. The bashing isn't needed.
PoPville had to close off its comments section for Barry's article from the get go because of the foreseen BS comments that people on that site tend to make.

Last edited by Yeadon718; 11-23-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM

857 posts, read 1,204,257 times
like it or not Marion Barry was a legend and a hero in DC to many of its longtime residents.....locals born and bred in DC regard him HIGHLY despite his infamous episodes with crack cocaine and the FBI sting....

May the man RIP........

I forsee marion barry Tshirts being sold @ the shrimp boat as well as numerous shopping plazas throughout PG County to celebrate his legacy...;.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM

465 posts, read 659,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Long Live the Mayor for Life.

Can't wait for the white gentrifiers to spew their hate in this thread.
God I hope they do.. I ready!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:30 PM

494 posts, read 851,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
The man is dead. Either pay your respects or keep it moving. The bashing isn't needed.
PoPville had to close off its comments section for Barry's article from the get go because of the foreseen BS comments that people on that site tend to make.
I didn't say one bad word about the man. But to deny that he's a polarizing figure is nonsense. He did good things for many people, but he had flaws. To simply dismiss those who didn't like him as hateful racists is wrong.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM

70 posts, read 152,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
like it or not Marion Barry was a legend and a hero in DC to many of its longtime residents.....locals born and bred in DC regard him HIGHLY despite his infamous episodes with crack cocaine and the FBI sting....

May the man RIP........

I forsee marion barry Tshirts being sold @ the shrimp boat as well as numerous shopping plazas throughout PG County to celebrate his legacy...;.
More importantly, they regard him highly despite the fact that DC was a pretty crappy city for just about all of his tenure as mayor. Im not certain he is highly regarded for any reason other than being the first black mayor of DC and serving for so long and the mostly black population legitimately saw him as one of them.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:51 PM

857 posts, read 1,204,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosch80 View Post
More importantly, they regard him highly despite the fact that DC was a pretty crappy city for just about all of his tenure as mayor. Im not certain he is highly regarded for any reason other than being the first black mayor of DC and serving for so long and the mostly black population legitimately saw him as one of them.
you must be a transplant. either that or you dont know dock about DC....otherwise you wouldnt have said what you said. Marion barry is probably the most famous black mayor in a long line of black mayors, but he was not the first. Ima need you to google Walter Washington, you know, the guy that big convention center is named after......

I imagine that marion barry is a hero simply bc he actually looked out for and cared for the city majority black working class population.........and he did the same for ward 8 residents long after his tenure finished....

Shoot im not from DC and even i know this....

Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM

70 posts, read 152,558 times
Oh Ok, my mistake. I have never actually lived in DC. Was born there but was raised in Hyattsville and Riverdale, then moved to College Park and now live in Takoma Park

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,555,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Ok yall. Don't get fired at work on tomorrow. A lot of people of other races are going to be talking slick about this on tomorrow so watch how you respond

RIP
This is a good example of prejudice.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:16 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,555,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Long Live the Mayor for Life.

Can't wait for the white gentrifiers to spew their hate in this thread.
Apparently this is very true since you brought up race before any "white gentrifier" could even get a chance.

Gotta love the pre-emptive pulling of the race card.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 PM

465 posts, read 659,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
you must be a transplant. either that or you dont know dock about DC....otherwise you wouldnt have said what you said. Marion barry is probably the most famous black mayor in a long line of black mayors, but he was not the first. Ima need you to google Walter Washington, you know, the guy that big convention center is named after......

I imagine that marion barry is a hero simply bc he actually looked out for and cared for the city majority black working class population.........and he did the same for ward 8 residents long after his tenure finished....

Shoot im not from DC and even i know this....
Lol thank you for jumping in because I was about dish out a history lesson. SMFH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC