Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 AM

21 posts, read 47,464 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be traveling from DC to Baltimore DC 5 days a week. What are my best/easiest/quickest options? Driving? Marc train? Driving seems the fastest option, but the thought of getting stuck in traffic for hours every single day makes me crazy. On the other hand it will take me 4-5 hrs every day from my home to work and back if I take the train.
Someone told me that people riding the Marc train on a regular basis between DC and Baltimore can park somewhere (Union Station?) for free. Is that true? I live on DC-Chevy Chase, MD border.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,515,068 times
Is there a reason you don't just move? It sounds like a lot of hassle to stay in DC. Especially when you can get great apartments in the Inner Harbor for about the same or cheaper than what you are paying in DC

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM

64 posts, read 94,394 times
I'll soon be driving from DC to North of Baltimore. I plan on taking 295 to 95. I tried hopping onto 695 to avoid the tolls, but it was a bad idea (much more crowded and took way longer). My plan is to avoid rush hour as much as possible (luckily, I work odd hours).

If I had a metro station close to my house and close to work, I would just take the train, even if it was slightly longer. However, the marc train would not be convenient for me and doesn't run 24/7.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Is there a reason you don't just move? It sounds like a lot of hassle to stay in DC. Especially when you can get great apartments in the Inner Harbor for about the same or cheaper than what you are paying in DC
There is a reason: my wife's very good job is in DC. We moved from the west coast for that job, and we are't going anywhere for a while. Unless we win the lottery, which we don't play :-). I despise long commute, but I despise my current job even more, and the job in Baltimore is a great one. I am actually willing to "waste" 4 hrs a day.

Being relatively new to the area, which road is perceived as being worse, 95 or 295?

Thank you!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,313 times
Take the Marc train from Union (parking not free) New Carrollton (parking not free) BWI (parking not free) after that Bowie, Seabrook and the rest until Baltimore Penn are free. And actually traffic going north on BW parkway is not that bad you would be doing a 'reverse' commute of sorts. It's less hassle on the train and the free parking goes quick if you don't get there early.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM

I just might start driving for a week or two and see how that goes. Then I'll ride the train. And then I'll see what makes more sense, in time and money. I like the train, but the whole trip, door to door, might last 5 hrs each day, and I don't have that much time. Driving, which I don't want to do, can take less than 2 hrs.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM

22 posts, read 68,555 times
Expee - curious how your commute from DC ---> baltimore has been? Any update? Have you tried the Marc train?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 AM

249 posts, read 399,575 times
Id relocate to NoMa or Capitol Hill near Union station and use the MARC train, Penn or Camden.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM

129 posts, read 163,369 times
I think the last post about moving near Union Station is a good idea and taking the Marc train (parking is not free). If you ever change your mind about moving to Baltimore, which would of course make your commute even better and is super affordable compared to DC, there is a great blog called Bmore Bungalow that chronicle's a couple of professionals move from DC to Baltimore that might interest you B'more Bungalow

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC