Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,525,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Lets break down your post -- you post a study that says NEW housing in DESIRABLE areas would only provide a small amount of the citys need (because so many people want to move here) so the only logical solution is to do NOTHING? Oh and al quieda and snowden would buy up all the penthouse suites as roommates and wreak havoc on the country.

Listen -- DC needs more housing, and with people leaving suburbs for the city (tons of studies there as well) DC will need even more housing than previously stated. Right now, NOVA is the smart one picking up all the residents with tons of new highrises. Keeping limits low due to aesthetics is not a smart idea (this is why NOVA is picking up all of DCs tax revenue) DC needs housing -- it needs to stop being a commuter city. This is tough on families for many reasons.
One thing I forgot to say in my last reply to this, 1) it's Al Qaeda 2) Edward Snowden is not a terrorist and 3) have you ever been to NYC when the president is in town? They search all the skyscrapers on the route the president will drive down, and set up secret service on the rooftops of the skyscrapers. It is very hard to secure a skyscraper city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM

708 posts, read 1,210,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
One thing I forgot to say in my last reply to this, 1) it's Al Qaeda 2) Edward Snowden is not a terrorist and 3) have you ever been to NYC when the president is in town? They search all the skyscrapers on the route the president will drive down, and set up secret service on the rooftops of the skyscrapers. It is very hard to secure a skyscraper city.
I will spell check when you google search some of the facts you assert. Simple google search is faster than spell checking.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I will spell check when you google search some of the facts you assert. Simple google search is faster than spell checking.
Ha you can go to the NCPC website and read all the studies I have been telling you. Go ahead, be my guest

Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Why I support the DC building height restrictions | Kaid Benfield's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC
I recommend everyone in favor of raising height limits read this, it's a great article.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,298,084 times
Quote:
Actually Paris has 1 skyscraper, and there are talks to demolish it, what you are referring to is La Defense, which is outside city boundaries. Paris has no control over the jurisdiction. And the whole parent-child scenario is weak, even in areas like New York that have skyscrapers, people drive from hours away to go to work, so building skyscrapers in DC wouldn't change anything. Also, character is very important, character is what creates the feel of the city, and that is what makes people want to move there.
+2 And they hate it! Can't blame them really, it just looks.....eh. Not too attractive either. I think some Parisians be saying that the Tour Montparnasse offers the best view of the Paris skyline because 1) It includes the Eiffel Tower and 2) Not a skyscraper in sight with the exception of the beautiful La Defense skyline just outside city limits.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,298,084 times
Quote:
Why I support the DC building height restrictions | Kaid Benfield's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC
I recommend everyone in favor of raising height limits read this, it's a great article.
I remember this article. It was pretty insightful and brilliant actually

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

174 posts, read 415,915 times
Quote:
Actually Paris has 1 skyscraper, and there are talks to demolish it, what you are referring to is La Defense, which is outside city boundaries. Paris has no control over the jurisdiction. And the whole parent-child scenario is weak, even in areas like New York that have skyscrapers, people drive from hours away to go to work, so building skyscrapers in DC wouldn't change anything. Also, character is very important, character is what creates the feel of the city, and that is what makes people want to move there.

I never been to Paris before so I was just curious. Are those buildings in the background outside the city?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
I never been to Paris before so I was just curious. Are those buildings in the background outside the city?
Yup, that's La Défense in the background, which is a business district within the boundaries of a few suburbs of Paris. The only major difference is that both Paris and La Défense (in the départment of Hauts-de-Seine) both fall under the regional government of Île-de-France, while DC, VA and MD are all entirely separate. It's somewhat analogous to Rosslyn.

Unlike Paris, DC is nowhere near built-out and, as I've said before, has ample room for growth. Part of why I support the height act is that it has spurred development outside the CBD, which otherwise may not have taken place. Further reforms, such as ensuring that zoning isn't even more restrictive than the max height restriction in key opportunity areas and reducing the bureaucracy involved in getting development moving, are needed before any talk or action in repealing the height act.

The DC council really needs to be incentivising development in the following areas, but additionally needs to add critical infrastructure. I'm convinced they alone could absorb a significant volume of new demand, but require better and more reliable transportation options (particularly streetcars along major arterials such as Georgia, 14th, H, Benning, Rhode Island, 18th/Florida/8th and Wisconsin).
  • Entire length of Georgia Avenue, particularly between Florida and Kennedy
  • Completion of Navy Yard
  • Anacostia
  • Reservation 13
  • Southwest Waterfront
  • Completion of NoMa
  • Medium density infill on H and Benning
  • Redevelopment of the Southwest Federal District to mixed-use

Lastly, office is being overbuilt. DC's primary industries - government and law - are both in major contracting stages and moving into more efficient and high-quality space. This means a large oversupply of Class B space will be coming online shortly and will be redeveloped. DC needs to advocate or even require that some of this becomes mixed-use to add a more significant residential population to Downtown.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,628,167 times
Quote:
There are absolutly no talk to demoslish Montparnasse tower.
Demolishing Montparnasse tower would cost a lot and it would harm Paris economy, imagine a hundred of jobs in less, and a million sq ft of office space (Paris economy is much more dependant on office jobs than tourism).

Also note that Montparnasse tower is not as much hated by Parisians than what tourist guides may indicate.

There are new skyscrapers planned inside the city limit of Paris.
The construction of the new 525ft Court Hall skyscraper has began.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There are absolutly no talk to demoslish Montparnasse tower.
Demolishing Montparnasse tower would cost a lot and it would harm Paris economy, imagine a hundred of jobs in less, and a million sq ft of office space (Paris economy is much more dependant on office jobs than tourism).

Also note that Montparnasse tower is not as much hated by Parisians than what tourist guides may indicate.

There are new skyscrapers planned inside the city limit of Paris.
The construction of the new 525ft Court Hall skyscraper has began.
I never said there were serious talks, but every year a group of Parisians send a petition to city hall asking for it to be demolished. When I was in Paris a few weeks ago almost everyone I asked had negative things to say about Montparnasse. Can you blame them? It is truly horrible, sticking out like a sore thumb and taking attention away from the Eiffel Tower. Could you please post a link for the Court Hall? I looked it up and found nothing, all I found were some article from June talking about how designs were submitted for some new skyscrapers in Paris and they would be voted on this fall. Anyways, Dc has a long way to go until it is built out like Paris. So lets completely build DC out, once it is built out we should increase density, and then we can talk about skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: