Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

I am considering a postion at S.G. Adventist Hospital. Good place to be or not as an employee? I'm coming from the Midwest, is Rockville a safe place to live? I've been to Bowie to visit, is it similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hi,

I can't help much, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. I'm more familiar with Virginia, but people like Rockville. I've been there a handful of times to get to particular stores or I don't know what. It's very, well, suburban DC. Very nice, clean, a lot of families, Volvos, etc.

I know several of my friends flock to Shady Grove for the fertility program. I assume that is "Shady Grove Adventist" right?

Someone else, help me here

Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 AM

102 posts, read 467,971 times
We live in Rockville moved here last Feb. we like it very much as a whole the city is nice.

Shady Grove is a nice Hospital been there and they are adding to it also. BTW we are originally from Minneapolis. Although its no CITY it OK.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Grew up in the Rockville/Bethesda area. Actually lived down the street from SGAH for 6 years (Potomac Glen). The area is nice, you have a new development/plaza that opened up in the last 5 years (Fallsgrove), with some very nice restaurants. That part of Rockville is a combination of office buildings, residential, and shops in a suburbia setting. You are very close (5 min) to downtown Rockville and about 20 minutes to Bethesda. It is not cheap in that area though, but you do have options in Gaithersburg/Germantown that allows for local commuting routes to Shady Grove. The closer you get to DC, the higher the housing prices will go.

As with anywhere else, the prices will vary based on location. SG is unique in that is borders Potomac, Rockville and Gaithersburg. You can have two similar houses within a quarter mile of each other an one will be 150K more because it has a Potomac address vs. a Gaithersburg or N. Potomac address.

The hospital itself is nice, my son was delivered there... and my wife still visits our deliver nurse from time to time - and we live about an hour away now.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:58 PM

70 posts, read 243,562 times
Very good hospital....please take the position/offer....you won't regret...nice area.....newly develop upscale housing area around the hospital.....safe area...there is always police cruising thru the area.....

Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
Just be sure you are ready to deal with the intense TRAFFIC throughout this metro area, which (this is my opinion) is pretty much every day most of the day. I try to do what I can (for errands, etc.) early in the a.m. on weekends. Rude drivers add to the stress level. Research the cost of living here when considering an offer.
I'm not trying to be all negative but this is not an easy area. IMHO. That said, I've also known a few folks from other parts of the country who loved the change and stimulation compared to where they are from.

Last edited by Tuneful; 12-11-2007 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 08:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostRN View Post
I am considering a postion at S.G. Adventist Hospital. Good place to be or not as an employee? I'm coming from the Midwest, is Rockville a safe place to live? I've been to Bowie to visit, is it similar?
I'd do some careful due diligence on Shady Grove. A few years ago many docs in the DC area referred to is as Shady Grave. Maybe they've turned things around.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,380 times
My brother and his family, including my mother, live in the area. In fact, unfortunately, my mother is in Shady Grove Adventist Hospital right now. I spent all of last week there. The area is quite nice and the drive via Great Seneca Highway was not bad at all; I'm sure commuting on Shady Grove would be much worse. I met a friend for dinner at the Panera Bread Co. restaurant in Fallsgrove. Kentlands is also extremely nice. Both of these are "villages" with residential and commercial all mixed in together. The residential consisted of nice apartments, townhouses and single family homes, sidewalks on both sides of the street and lots of folks walking. I really like that a lot.

My brother's house is about 10 minutes from the hospital, in a community called Highview. Very nice but I hate cookie cutter big houses with garages in front. There is a pretty large Asian population in the area.

The hospital has just opened a brand new tower, a four-story section that was very nice. I think my Mom was the first patient in her room. Seemed to be a well-run place.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,088 times
Hello .... I have worked at the hospital for almost 20 years and could recommend the hospital and Montgomery County. Where are you moving from? I am from the midwest also. ~Sandy~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC