Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,916 times

Advertisements

Just moved to DC in the bloomingdale area, adams st NW to be exact, just wondering how safe the area is, it feels relativly safe, but i just am curious what other people think. Is it ok to be walking at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Well, you're up in the north end, then, and your impression is likely about right. Bloomingdale avoided most of the turmoil surrounding the '68 riots that plagued the areas to the west, and it has stood as a stable, middle-class neighborhood for quite a long while. Still urban of course, so no point taking needless risks. The neighborhood does have its own blogspot...you could check out what some of your new neighbors have been saying (or complaining about) of late. It's here...

bloomingdale (for now)

Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I honestly had never heard of a neighborhood called Bloomingdale in DC. I had to google it and I'm still unsure. Is this the area sort of around Shaw and U Street?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM

It's small...basically the two or three blocks on the west side of North Capitol Street and north of Florida Avenue on up to the water plant. Like many of the older neighborhood names, it gets kind of blurred in modern reference, sometimes being included with LeDroit Park and sometimes with Eckington. It's distinctive on account of the dominant all-brick architecture, many times with circular elements, and it's history. Florida Avenue was the original boundary of the L'Enfant city, so Bloomingdale, which originally included just the southern quarter or so of what it is now, was one of the privately developed areas that lay outside the city proper. That happened over the late 19th and early 20th centuries with post-Civil War population increases and the coming of the trolley cars. The developer Harry Wardman was instrumental in building out Bloomingdale in an area of orchards that had stood between the planned community of LeDroit Park to the west and the somewhat industrial area of Eckington to the east. Dozens of his original homes still stand in the neighborhood, which has continued to be something of an island of stabilty in an area that has in general seen a lot of up's and down's...

Old 10-27-2007, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,916 times
wow thanks thats alot of info, so in seems as though i am in a pretty decent area!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog111 View Post
wow thanks thats alot of info, so in seems as though i am in a pretty decent area!
Well, it isn't Foxhall or Upper Mass Ave, but yes, it's a solid middle-class area with some history and some character. No reason not to enjoy it...hope you do!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 PM

228 posts, read 920,116 times
I live a block south from you on W St. NW... we've lived here for about six years. The area has definitely improved... most of the obvious drug dealing has moved away (or at least indoors) and the main issues now are nuisances (party houses, car stereos, etc). That said, there was a rash of robberies to/from the Shaw metro this last Summer - things always seem to be worst in the Summer when the kids are out of school.

While the neighborhood isn't Georgetown, it has a lot of great attributes. Your neighbors are likely to be very friendly and welcoming (more so than in many "better" parts of the city) and the houses have big yards that are great for gardening. While I wish there were a few more retail options within walking distance that will come with time.

- JM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC