Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,839 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Warrenton, VA but wife will need to go to Bethesda frequently for special medical needs. Where would you reccomend living with 3 kids? If I lived somewhere between, (Centerville?), would I be in less traffic going toward Warrenton in the morning, and back toward DC in the evening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Are you currently living in Warrenton? Centreville/Chantilly would effectively split your commutes (but to beat the traffic your spouse would need to be on the road during non-peak hours). What would you do after your spouse finishes her treatment?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,646 times
I assume you mean Centreville (Centerville is apparently on the Eastern Shore). Important distinction if you're looking on Google Maps, for example. Maybe you should say just how often she'll go to Bethesda ("frequently" could mean a few times a week or a couple times a month) and for what amount of time (e.g., all day, or just an hour or two in which case you can more easily avoid rush hour traffic?). Will she be going by car? I would think housing would cost considerably more in Centreville and environs, still part of the greater DC-suburban Virginia metro area, than in Warrenton. At least in Centreville you'd have a short drive to get to Dulles Airport.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Brand new to the area. Centreville 45 min west of DC. The Doc appts. will be 3x a week, then less in the future. Will be able to schedule appts during less traffic. Willing to take any mass transit you reccomend to Bethesda. How do you see my auto commute being from Centreville to Warrenton 8:00am to Warrenton - 5:00 pm to Centreville? Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstead7 View Post
How do you see my auto commute being from Centreville to Warrenton 8:00am to Warrenton - 5:00 pm to Centreville? Thanks for the replies!
Thet won't be bad at all. It will also be the least of your problems, as getting from Centreville to Bethesda in any kind of traffic can be nightmar-ish. There's not going to be any public transit that will get you from one to the other--at least none that would get you there in under 1 1/2 hours, at least.

Honestly, you're kind of in a tough spot--Warrenton and Bethesda are so geographically far apart, there just aren't going to be many good options for you here.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM

so do you think it would be wiser to live further north or closer to DC? The other thing is we will be attending Church in Silver Springs.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM

656 posts, read 648,307 times
I would look in DC or Arlington. You will be doing a reverse commute to Warrenton so traffic shouldn't be that bad.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Thet won't be bad at all. It will also be the least of your problems, as getting from Centreville to Bethesda in any kind of traffic can be nightmar-ish. There's not going to be any public transit that will get you from one to the other--at least none that would get you there in under 1 1/2 hours, at least.

Honestly, you're kind of in a tough spot--Warrenton and Bethesda are so geographically far apart, there just aren't going to be many good options for you here.
I agree the commute to Bethesda would be a little tough, but if it's only 3 days a week during non-peak hours, taking the metro, probably wouldn't be that bad in my opinion. And if she is going to go less and less, then it would seem like there would be more incentive to live in Centreville then to move closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstead7 View Post
so do you think it would be wiser to live further north or closer to DC? The other thing is we will be attending Church in Silver Springs.
The church to Silver Spring part is a monkey wrench in this. If that is the case, you have to weigh out your options. Would you rather be closer to church or to work. Driving to church will be long, but that may only be 1 or 2 days out of the week as opposed to going to work 5 days a week. Either way you're going to have a bad commute for one of those things, no matter where you move.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I agree the commute to Bethesda would be a little tough, but if it's only 3 days a week during non-peak hours, taking the metro, probably wouldn't be that bad in my opinion. And if she is going to go less and less, then it would seem like there would be more incentive to live in Centreville then to move closer.
During off-peak times, I would drive that route if at all feasible. Simply the time spent in the Metro train itself will be around an hour--and that doesn't include the time spent getting to the station from Centreville (since there isn't a station in Centreville), waiting for the train (off-peak service comes more infrequently), transferring at Metro Center, and walking to the physician's office from the Bethesda station. You're looking at easily a 90 minute commute each way.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 AM

656 posts, read 648,307 times
I would try to find a doctor and a church in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC