Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 AM

45 posts, read 76,897 times

Advertisements

What would the Chinese do? Because increasingly, that's the thing we ought to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
probably put a bunch of guns to some farmers' heads and tell 'em to build it

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenJoe View Post
What would the Chinese do? Because increasingly, that's the thing we ought to do.
You want them to turn it into a Chinese take out joint?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
At first glance, I thought I would support a below ground station closer to the airport. But upon reading this article, I think an above ground station would actually work just fine too, and save some money. 600 ft is not that much further than what the below ground station would offer. Plus there will be those fun moving sidewalk things to help you along the way. The only thing I can add is that if they do decide on an above ground station, they should have some sort of building surrounding it, as opposed to having people wait on an exposed walkway.

GGW debates: Build Metro above or below ground at Dulles? - Greater Greater Washington
While I think below ground for entire line would be better, I'd say go for above ground if its sooooo cost prohibitive. I've used the metro to get to DCA in the winter and it was just fine. If the difference is only 600 feet I see no reason to halt progress. People will just have to get used to walking.

I seriously doubt the outside station would be completely exposed. All above ground metro stations have some type of covered area for waiting for a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Neither.... end the line at Reston
End it at Reston? Why?

I don't think it'd be the worst thing to extend it out to Leesburg but Ashburn is good too.

All major airports should have rail access. With so many other east coast ariports having some type of rail access its silly for Dulles to be so isolated. Its a pity that it took so long to get the silver line out there since the idea has apparently been on the books since the 1970's.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Sure, a below-ground station would be preferable to an above-ground one. And I hate the fact that we're so ready to consistently forgo long term benefits for perceived short term gain.

But if the question comes down to above-ground or no station at all, as it is increasingly looking to be the case, then the answer is a no-brainer: above-ground it is. The above-ground station won't be in the boonies, and it will connect immediately to an existing moving walkway that will shepherd people directly into the terminal. It's not ideal, but it's fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Sure, a below-ground station would be preferable to an above-ground one. And I hate the fact that we're so ready to consistently forgo long term benefits for perceived short term gain.

But if the question comes down to above-ground or no station at all, as it is increasingly looking to be the case, then the answer is a no-brainer: above-ground it is. The above-ground station won't be in the boonies, and it will connect immediately to an existing moving walkway that will shepherd people directly into the terminal. It's not ideal, but it's fine.
Very well put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: