Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 125,901 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have already searched for the similar questions but wasn't able to find any answers, so hope you don't mind me posting this question :-)

I am taking Megabus to go from DC to NY and in the confirmation email Megabus sent me, they said here's the pickup location:
"Parking Lot at K St. NW and N Capitol St. NW"

I was wondering:

1) If I decided to drive there, where can I park my car? Is there a big parking lot with lots of spot svailable?

2) If i decided to take the metro, which line should I get on and please be as specific as possible, as this is my first time getting on a metro, too...

I live in Sterling, Virginia if that helps.

Many thanks in advance,
Sparkling_girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times
I'm not sure about overnight parking in the city. So I would say that if you take the metro you'd use the orange line and take that from West Falls Church getting off at Metro Center.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM

159 posts, read 279,627 times
Take the red line to New York Ave station on the red line.
Get out at the M street exit.
Walk two blocks west to North Capitol Street then walk three blocks south to K street.

Don't drive there. I think its time restrictions on parking in that area if you don't have a zoning permit and thats not exactly the best area to park and leave a car.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
Take the red line to New York Ave station on the red line.
Get out at the M street exit.
Walk two blocks west to North Capitol Street then walk three blocks south to K street.

Don't drive there. I think its time restrictions on parking in that area if you don't have a zoning permit and thats not exactly the best area to park and leave a car.
Oh. They changed the pick up station to North Capitol and K???? Well pardon me.

So yeah still take the orange line change over to the red line don't get off at Metro Center. Good looking out Lil Tunechi.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Union Station Parking Garage, LLC at Union Station in Washington, DC :: (202) 898-1950 - DC

Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,422 times
I second Lil Tunechi's post. If you're driving from Sterling, you're much better off parking your car at West Falls Church and just riding to the NY station from there.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 125,901 times
Thanks for all your helpful replies. I just looked up the schedule on West Falls Church website Metro - Home page:

1) Rail departs from West Falls Church at 7:07 AM - Orange line - Arrives at Metro Center Metro Station at 7:29 AM

2) Rail departs from Metro Center Metro Station at 7:34 AM - Red line - Arrives at Union Station Metro Station at 7:40 AM

Per Lil Tunechi, I have another option which is getting off at NY station and walk the rest:
So step 2 would be:

2) Rail departs from Metro Center Metro Station at 7:34 AM - Red line - Arrives at New York Ave Metro Station at 7:42 AM

The DC to NY bus is scheduled to leave at 8:00 AM, so you think I can make it? How long will I take to walk from NY Ave. or Union station to Mega Bus?

Many thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM

159 posts, read 279,627 times
Its about a 10 minute from NY ave station to North Cap. and K street.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Actually when I look at a map it looks like Union Station is a little closer. Also that's one less stop for riding the red line. So yeah I suggest getting off at Union Station.

Also if you look at google maps it says that its a 6 minute walk from Union Station to K and N. Capitol versus a 13 minute walk from New York Ave to the same spot.

K St. NW and N Capitol St. NW - Google Maps

Either way have fun in NYC.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,422 times
whoops! looks like terrence is right. Union Station is actually closer. I live near the NY ave metro and always see people walking to the bus station so never even gave it a 2nd thought. Since you might be pressed for time, you'd probably be better off hopping off at Union station. Unless you like sightseeing while trying to catch bus, you should be able to walk there in less than 10 minutes tops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC