Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 22,299 times

Advertisements

After years of struggling, my wife and I have both landed really great jobs in DC. I've already started Fed job near Foggy Bottom, my wife will move from NJ with our kids this summer and start a job at Georgetown U.

If we were childless, we would live in the District, since we like livable cities, but with 2 boys, age 11 and 16, we need quality public schools. I'm thinking North Arlington, or Maryland. With our current house equity and new incomes, I think we can afford $800K SF house or townhome.

Where should we live with good schools, but minimize commute?

I could take Metro to Foggy Bottom, but my wife will need to drive to Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM

246 posts, read 589,587 times
Get a townhome in North Arlington. It will be an easy commute for both of you, and they have great schools.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times
If you don't have flexibility on commuting times, the major disadvantage with living in Arl. vs. MD is that the bridges often get very crowded and add a long time to your commute during both the morning and evening rush hours.

A friend bought a house in Bethesda in the 800s and he and his family (2 smaller kids than yours) quite happy there.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
Georgetown isn't that far from Foggy Bottom. She could easily walk from the metro to Georgetown. I do that walk all the time.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Georgetown isn't that far from Foggy Bottom. She could easily walk from the metro to Georgetown. I do that walk all the time.
I think they have shuttle buses from Foggy Bottom Metro, and maybe Rosslyn Metro, to the university campus.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,917,101 times
Bethesda is a great place for kids, has good schools, and is an easy commute to Georgetown, and is on a metro line.

I agree with the above comments that crossing the bridges can make the commute from places like Arlington a nightmare. Snow, rain, construction, accidents. The bridges just don't have the capacity for the amount of traffic they carry.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
A lot of it will depend on what you can afford. A previous poster mentioned a home in Bethesda for $800k--which isn't at all unusual. If that kind of price doesn't cause you to recoil in horror, then by all means take a good, long look at Bethesda.

You will have a greater chance of finding less expensive (note that I didn't say "more affordable") housing in Arlington, and if you can get yourself near a Metro line, all the better.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM

708 posts, read 1,297,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revheck View Post
After years of struggling, my wife and I have both landed really great jobs in DC. I've already started Fed job near Foggy Bottom, my wife will move from NJ with our kids this summer and start a job at Georgetown U.

If we were childless, we would live in the District, since we like livable cities, but with 2 boys, age 11 and 16, we need quality public schools. I'm thinking North Arlington, or Maryland. With our current house equity and new incomes, I think we can afford $800K SF house or townhome.

Where should we live with good schools, but minimize commute?

I could take Metro to Foggy Bottom, but my wife will need to drive to Georgetown.
Tenleytown in D.C. is quite nice and blocks to the Metro.

Last edited by seethelight; 04-03-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC