Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM

50 posts, read 111,857 times

Advertisements

It has always been a dream of mine to live on a boat for a while. I am thinking about Washington DC and was wondering if anyone has any light to shed on this subject. If not specifically in the Washington DC or possibly the Baltimore, MD area, then any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Costs, pros, cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
I honestly know next to nothing about living on a boat, but in DC I think the only place to do it is Gangplank Marina. Below are some links with some information. The neighborhood around there is predominantly residential until you get to the highway, then it's all office buildings (mostly government). In general it's fairly quiet, and has a good community feel to it. It's also a great location in that it's convenient to other parts of the city and suburbs (both by public transit and car). There's a lot of development going on, especially by the Metro station and the waterfront itself, so there is a little uncertainty about what's going to happen to the marina while there's construction.

The Gangplank Marina | Washington, D.C.
Unique Spaces: The Live-Aboards of Gangplank Marina
GPSA - Gangplank Slipholders Association
Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could: Live-Aboards in Peril on the Waterfront?
Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could: Developers Reveal Interim Uses for Southwest Waterfront

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
However, Gangplank has a waiting list so you won't be living aboard there anytime soon. I know that a marina in Georgetown also has live-aboard spaces, and I'd assume that there would be others downriver (Alexandria, surely).

Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,241 times
If you're interested in living aboard, there are very few options in the DC area. Gangplank has liveaboards as does one of the Marinas in Fort Washington. Some other marinas and yacht clubs may have informal liveaboards (often called "sneakaboards." If you want to know about the waiting list, check with the Marina itself. You may be able to move to the front of the line by buying a boat from a current liveaboard. Be aware that Gangplank limits the number of liveaboards. Having a boat in a slip doesn't mean you can live on it.

The Gangplank liveaboard community is a great group of people, although I gather there's some question as to the future of liveaboards after the renovation of the Southwest waterfront.

Be aware that even if living on a boat has been a "dream" for you, that dream could turn into a nightmare pretty quickly if you don't really love boats. In my opinion, living on anything smaller than about a 40 foot powerboat is a lot like camping out. Living on most boats above 40 feet short of a very high end yacht is a lot like living in a trailer. If you choose a sailboat, you probably need to be at least ten feet longer than a powerboat to get interior volume in the same league. Big boats are fairly expensive to buy, expensive to dock, and expensive to heat and cool. They are maintenance intensive, and if you can't do the maintenance yourself, it will cost a lot to have someone else do it. Boat mortgages and insurance can be problems for liveaboards, especially on older boats. Most boats aren't well insulated and can get cold during a DC winter.

All that said, I lived on a 46' powerboat a few years ago at Gangplank and loved every minute of it. I grew up around boats and it was a dream for me, too. It was not cheap, though. For what it cost me to buy, dock, and maintain the boat I could have rented a one-bedroom apartment in a great neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
However, Gangplank has a waiting list so you won't be living aboard there anytime soon. I know that a marina in Georgetown also has live-aboard spaces, and I'd assume that there would be others downriver (Alexandria, surely).
I didn't know Georgetown had those. Neat! I don't know don't really see a lot of docks in Alexandria. There are some but not that many, so not sure about Alexandra.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM

50 posts, read 111,857 times
Thanks so much for the info. The links were especially helpful. At this stage in my life, I just want to do new and different things. I made the move back to NYC to experience the city for 2 years and I am looking for my next quest. The size doesn't bother me as much as the noise from the airport which I hadn't really thought about. So now I know I probably need to scratch Southwest off of my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: