Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,703,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
  • Mild climate
huh

Old 06-26-2010, 02:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
But don't you find DC government buildings resemble more the Soviet Bloc than Paris?
Seriously - what is your problem with DC? Why do you hate this city so much? I know so many people who simply love living here, and yet you seem to have committed a large portion of your life to denigrating it at every turn.

For example, you insult and mock people for walking down the left of an escalator, and yet probably use the left lane of a highway in Orlando to pass slower cars. There's no difference, but you have such a need to cast DC as negative that you are blinded by your own hypocrisy.

You presumably lived here or visited once in the 90s and didn't like it. Fine. Don't move back. Why do you feel the need to slander it so consistently and spread completely outdated information about neighborhoods you haven't known in at least a decade?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 AM

499 posts, read 669,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
Great Italian Food
Insane number of awesome hole in the wall bars/restaurants
Even more sophisticated population
Proud, deeply-rooted locals (at least in Boston)

I love DC, but I really think SF is in a league of its own and that Boston has plenty of great cultural attributes DC is lacking.
Huh?

I really think it depends on who you are or what group you're part of. I don't care for "Great Italian Food" but I do love Ethiopian and west African, then what, you think Boston or San Fran can match that?

African Americans would probably not have such a great time in Boston, or San Fran but will absolutely love D.C.

Asians will probably love San Fran but so much Boston or D.C.

Boston is a beautiful city I really think they did a great job integrating their colleges into the city but it is just not a diverse place and has lots of old structures which are beautiful but has their minuses as well.

San Fran's African American population is almost zero, still it's more Diverse in D.C. and it's metro area I would say.

The thing about Washington is that you get a real sense that you're in an international city, it is very global as if you're staring at the world from space if that makes any sense.

I do wish D.C. natives had more sense of pride though, 99% of that seems to come from the African American population, they are the culture in D.C. but even there it's not as "loud" of a community as it should be.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,406,012 times
Seriously - what is your problem with DC? Why do you hate this city so much? I know so many people who simply love living here, and yet you seem to have committed a large portion of your life to denigrating it at every turn.

bluefly This is a discussion forum to point out the problems of DC and how to fix them, not a DC appreciation board.

For example, you insult and mock people for walking down the left of an escalator, and yet probably use the left lane of a highway in Orlando to pass slower cars. There's no difference, but you have such a need to cast DC as negative that you are blinded by your own hypocrisy.

it's a safety issue

Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
Quote:

bluefly This is a discussion forum to point out the problems of DC and how to fix them, not a DC appreciation board.

it's a safety issue
Ummm.... that's actually not the point of this forum at all. It's simply to talk about any facet of the city and, if anything, provide people advice about the city to people who are looking to move or whatnot.

Which comes back to the question why someone who does not live here is so insistent on providing that advice. I have no problem with critiques of DC - I make many myself - but they need to be grounded in reality in order to be valuable and not just a raging rampage out of spite. That is of no value to anybody.

...and it's not safety - it's lazy and selfish for people to block the entire path.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,703,982 times
how is it a safety issue? I can't remember the last time a person fell down the Metro escalators :|

Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
how is it a safety issue? I can't remember the last time a person fell down the Metro escalators :|
Unsuck DC Metro: What Is Wrong With the Escalators?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,042 times
Quote:
But don't you find DC government buildings resemble more the Soviet Bloc than Paris?
Are you blind or is it that you've never been to either city?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

You presumably lived here or visited once in the 90s and didn't like it. Fine. Don't move back. Why do you feel the need to slander it so consistently and spread completely outdated information about neighborhoods you haven't known in at least a decade?
I think a common thread from those who just like to bash DC is their experiences, which variously include:

Flunked out of school at UDC.
Got fired from his job as a janitor.
Never got a date during his entire stay.
Dog peed on his leg while waiting for the bus.
Parents had to come and pick him up.

Last edited by rhinestone; 06-26-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Are you blind or is it that you've never been to either city?

No.

http://blog.smartgrowthamerica.org/blogimages//3217306636_b466cd7dbf.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC