Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,430,956 times

Advertisements

For some reason, a lot of people here have been trying to make comparisons between DC and San Francisco, NY, etc., but I would argue that the best comparison is Moscow, similar to DC in that it's COL has gotten wildly disproportionate from what it actually offers to it's residents. Maybe they should become sister cities if they aren't already.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM

28,027 posts, read 29,196,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
For some reason, a lot of people here have been trying to make comparisons between DC and San Francisco, NY, etc., but I would argue that the best comparison is Moscow, similar to DC in that it's COL has gotten wildly disproportionate from what it actually offers to it's residents. Maybe they should become sister cities if they aren't already.
DC is comparable in a number of respects to SF - especially in terms of its CSA population size, GDP per capita, GDP overall and household income per capita. SF's COL is considerably higher than DC's though. Personally, I don't think SF's COL is worth it.

DC is less comparable to NYC, especially because NYC is so much bigger. And I've never been to Moscow so don't know much about it.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-25-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 PM

999 posts, read 2,023,262 times
Oh come on, I always to pay $1,800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in a dumpy complex with mold, ethnic cooking smell from the neighbors, peeling paint on the walls and not enough vehicle parking. Seriously, the Washington, DC area has the most expensive slum housing in the country. At least in New York City, they rent control the old, crappy apartment buildings.

Quote:
I just gave you a rep point.
And yet someone on another thread claims that dc people choose to have roommates to enjoy "dense urbanity". In reality it's more similar to Chinese factory workers jammed into group dorms because they can't afford anything else. There have been many complaints on forum of the low quality of the apartments in the DC region, even in far out suburbs. Those people don't sound happy to me.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Oh come on, I always to pay $1,800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in a dumpy complex with mold, ethnic cooking smell from the neighbors, peeling paint on the walls and not enough vehicle parking. Seriously, the Washington, DC area has the most expensive slum housing in the country. At least in New York City, they rent control the old, crappy apartment buildings.
Maybe we can start calling it Moscow on the Potomac.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,478,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
There's actually no such thing as the DC region, there is a Washington Metropolitan area. DC is the District of Columbia.

I find the Federal government plays a decreasing role in the areas job mix. From biotech through electronics/Internet this area is increasingly private sector focused. That's part of what drives the affluence. Federal employees and Federal contractor make decent livings, but few are buying million dollar homes.
What population statistics, exactly, do you think I was pulling from if it wasn't the US Census Bureau population estimates for the city and metropolitan area respectively?

I was just using the same terminology as the person I was responding to; hence why I had it in quotations.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,506,558 times
Quote:
San Francisco suffers from the same problem - way too high COL for what it offers.

The mass majority of people living in the Bay Area, are actually not right in San Francisco itself, but off some massive highway and in some strip mall area of nothingness with way too high overhigh SF-like prices just the same.

Sadly, DC actually HAS the jobs available, whereas SF that is a highly more debatable - it actualy doesn't to the same degree that DC does.

Statistically, Californians are fleeing the state...and in no small part due to the fact that wages/salaries are not offering enough to support the cost of living in their major cities.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,166,715 times
I find DC has much more in common with Paris than many other cities:
  • Capital
  • Relatively low rise building stock
  • Lots of world class museums
  • Great dining -- lots of it outdoors
  • Mild climate
  • Affluent sophisticated populations
  • Tons of people who couldn't make it here trying to make excuses for their shortcomings.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
  • Capital
  • Mild climate
  • Tons of people who couldn't make it here trying to make excuses for their shortcomings.
But don't you find DC government buildings resemble more the Soviet Bloc than Paris?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM

182 posts, read 544,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yep. Culturally speaking, what am I lacking in DC that Boston and San Francisco have?
Great Italian Food
Insane number of awesome hole in the wall bars/restaurants
Even more sophisticated population
Proud, deeply-rooted locals (at least in Boston)

I love DC, but I really think SF is in a league of its own and that Boston has plenty of great cultural attributes DC is lacking.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM

28,027 posts, read 29,196,505 times
Quote:
  • Capital
  • Mild climate
I agree with this comparison. It's fairly accurate to say that DC is like a smaller, Americanized counterpart of Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC