Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,573,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Why do you have to throw a fit whenever anyone doesn't share your love of DC? My goodness!
Look, I totally understand that people may not <heart> DC...different strokes and all that. But yes, I'll call someone out when they're spouting nonsense. You can "not like" DC of course, but to say there's no culture here? You might as well say we don't have politicians, either.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So, what do you think? Is Washington DC worth the cost of living?

I mean, I think it is if you are single and under a certain age...and looking for an interesting career. You can do roommate situations or get a studio.

But how about everyone else...? Worth it?
I've lived here for 30 years and had opportunities to move several times to New York, Chicago, Houston, the west coast. I've also seen all those places many times. If you earn enough money to be able to buy into Washington, it's well worth the expense. Probably not an easy place to live if you don't have a good white collar job.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,724,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
San Diego - If you move there in your 20s, where exactly are you going to dream about retiring for the next 40 years?
That cracked me up.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
In summary, Washington, DC has a lot to offer as a world-class city and IS worth the cost. Northern Virginia outside the Beltway? Not so much, but the folks on the NoVA sub-forum, most of whom are females and/or Baby Boomers, will fight me tooth-and-nail on that, claiming "big houses, safe streets, and good schools" justify the atrocious price tag here. They don't, when the city offers all that AND much more for a comparable price point. The suburbs of DC outside the Beltway absolutely SUCK unless you're a family who lives for SUVs, vinyl siding, cul-de-sacs, soccer practice, and Carrabba's. Inside the Beltway? It's a whole different world.
I do see this distinction between 'inside' and 'outside' the beltway?

Is it really that much better inside the beltway? Places like Annandale, etc.? Even Arlington - is it actually an interesting place to live?

I agree with everything you've said...but just trying to get a better sense of 'inside the beltway' from people who know the DC area much better than myself.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,959,810 times
Quote:
Actually, now that I've read the other replies I see that most of you seem to think that a robust job market in and of itself should justify a very high cost-of-living. I'm personally inclined to disagree because I think one should "work to live" NOT "live to work." People have told me far-flung places like Reston are still so outrageously expensive simply because they have many major IT employers. What about those of us who work in Fairfax County but don't earn high salaries in the IT sector? Are we resigned to living in a bland suburban mess AND having roommates? If I were going to endure compromising my privacy to share cramped quarters with strangers I'd want perks such as Metro-accessibility, culture, walkability, etc. to justify that burden. Reston has none of this (No, Macaroni Grill is not "culture").

What's the point of having a small apartment, roomies, AND living far away from the city? Can someone address this for me?
The market determines the cost of living. Obviously you are in the minority or the COL wouldn't be what it is. duh. It's not rocket science, it's econ 101.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,626,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Look, I totally understand that people may not <heart> DC...different strokes and all that. But yes, I'll call someone out when they're spouting nonsense. You can "not like" DC of course, but to say there's no culture here? You might as well say we don't have politicians, either.
BAHAHAHA!!! Thanks Jeb!!! I've been telling him that all along...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times
Quote:
It all depends upon whom you pose this question to. The District of Columbia is indeed worth its weight in gold. It may not have a skyline, but its architecture is on more of a pedestrian-friendly scale, is replete with historic charm, and is oriented so that an increasing percentage of people are now eschewing owning a car altogether. The city's cultural amenities are vast, our political sphere of influence is the most dominant in the nation (if not the world), and recreational options are plentiful.

The problem? Many suburban areas outside the Beltway, believe it or not, are comparably priced to urban neighborhoods in DC, which I think is reprehensible, and it's something I'll never comprehend. I pay more in monthly rent for a 1970s-era 1-BR apartment in the exurb of Reston, Virginia than my parents pay on the monthly mortgage of an upper-middle-class 3-BR home in a subdivision in the Scranton, PA suburbs. I'm not in a walkable, transit-friendly neighborhood, most businesses here are soulless upscale chains, people drive Hummers and Range Rovers "cuz I can", and most people here in general have a deplorable "I'm more important than you" attitude. The way I see NoVA in particular is a rentention pond of every spoiled Type-A "I wanna be a big fish in a big pond" professionally cutthroat tool without having any amenities to justify the high cost-of-living. NoVA has immense traffic (my 7-mile commute this morning took an hour), horrific urban planning (and Baby Boomer NIMBYs who are fighting transit-oriented developments in places like Reston that sorely need it), and so many other flaws that nobody has been able to prove to me why a place like Reston would be "worth" the cost-of-living. Good schools are worthless if you don't have children. Reston Town Center is worthless if you're not affluent. Low violent crime isn't "unique" to the suburbs when there are some parts of DC that are undoubtedly safer than parts of Fairfax County. So what DOES justify NoVA's outrageous cost-of-living?

In summary, Washington, DC has a lot to offer as a world-class city and IS worth the cost. Northern Virginia outside the Beltway? Not so much, but the folks on the NoVA sub-forum, most of whom are females and/or Baby Boomers, will fight me tooth-and-nail on that, claiming "big houses, safe streets, and good schools" justify the atrocious price tag here. They don't, when the city offers all that AND much more for a comparable price point. The suburbs of DC outside the Beltway absolutely SUCK unless you're a family who lives for SUVs, vinyl siding, cul-de-sacs, soccer practice, and Carrabba's. Inside the Beltway? It's a whole different world.
Took the words right out of my mouth

Old 06-23-2010, 06:06 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I do see this distinction between 'inside' and 'outside' the beltway?

Is it really that much better inside the beltway? Places like Annandale, etc.? Even Arlington - is it actually an interesting place to live?

I agree with everything you've said...but just trying to get a better sense of 'inside the beltway' from people who know the DC area much better than myself.
It's not "inside the beltway," it's in the District of Columbia. Outside the beltway, you might as well be living in the Midwest, but Washington is the District.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
It's not "inside the beltway," it's in the District of Columbia. Outside the beltway, you might as well be living in the Midwest, but Washington is the District.
Uh yeah, places like Potomac, Great Falls and Tysons Corner are so "midwest."

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
BAHAHAHA!!! Thanks Jeb!!! I've been telling him that all along...
Did you reply to the wrong post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC